F1 2023 stuff not worthy of it's own thread

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Bottom post of the previous page:

150/1 to win sports personality again. Better value than to win the title seeing as Abu Dhabs is the same day

Won't win but probably lay at 30/1 or so
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

I'm less sure about Hammy and his chances. Not because I think the Merc is the slower car, but because I don't think he's in the right place mentally. I think he feels people getting bored with his success.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago I think he feels people getting bored with his success.
He's about 4 years late on that one.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago I'm less sure about Hammy and his chances. Not because I think the Merc is the slower car, but because I don't think he's in the right place mentally. I think he feels people getting bored with his success.
He's up for it more than most seasons surely. The question is does the added pressure mean mistakes?

He's made a lot more this season

You could get a snap retirement though if he wins the title. May not fancy taking on Russell
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Ricciardo to demo Earnhardt NASCAR Cup car at US GP

Daniel Ricciardo will get to drive one of Dale Earnhardt’s NASCAR Cup cars at the United States Grand Prix, after winning his Formula 1 bet with boss Zak Brown.

After joining McLaren at the start of the season, Ricciardo accepted a wager with Brown over him scoring his first podium for the team.

With memories still fresh of Ricciardo’s famous tattoo bet with his former Renault boss Cyril Abiteboul, Brown was eager to avoid any physical discomfort from needles so opted for a racing incentive instead.

With Ricciardo being a big fan of Dale Earnhardt Sr, and racing with the NASCAR legend's number 3, Brown felt a prize living up to those themes would be best.

“I'm thinking your first podium you give the real thing a go,” explained Brown at the time.

The Earnhardt NASCAR forms part of Brown’s private car collection, which includes a number of F1 challengers and sportscars.

Zak has confirmed it will go ahead at Austin at the US weekend.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

F1 fans vote Verstappen most popular driver, McLaren named favourite team

Also interesting to see that not only has Lewis lost his most popular overall tag to Max, but he is not even the most popular British driver, Lando having lifted that tag from him.

Good to see McLaren doing well.... again Mercedes not doing so well. Red Bull ahead of Ferrari was a surprise though.
The results of the Global Survey were released on Thursday ahead of the United States Grand Prix after responses from more than 167,000 fans in 187 different countries.

Verstappen was voted by 14.4% of fans as their favourite driver, and ranked in the top three drivers among one-third of F1 fans.

Verstappen's rise in popularity had been noted in the 2017 report, but his upward trend continued in 2021, enjoying a sizeable amount of support in the Netherlands.

But Verstappen's popularity proved to be global as he ranked highly in the United States and Japan, showing his broad appeal.

Verstappen also scored highly among fans in the 35-54 age group, showing the 24-year-old's popularity was not exclusive to a younger audience.

Lando Norris finished second in the vote as 13.7% of fans voted him as their favourite driver, while over 40% of fans placed him in their top three.

The McLaren driver enjoyed unrivalled popularity among female fans, featuring in 57% of their top three driver votes, and comfortably stood out as the favourite driver of fans 24 and younger.

After being voted as the favourite driver in the 2017 Global Survey, reigning world champion Hamilton has dropped to third for 2021, gaining 12.5% of the vote. He remains the #1 driver in the United Kingdom.

Norris helped McLaren win the vote as fans' favourite team, with its on-track revival also being reflected in a significant upswing in popularity as its vote share almost doubled from 15.8% in 2017 to 29.5% in 2021.

Norris and team-mate Daniel Ricciardo - who finished fourth in the driver vote - helped McLaren rank #1 with 40% of fans in the 16-24 age group. McLaren also topped the vote in the UK, US, Australia, Canada and Brazil, as well as ranking first in Europe, the Americas, Middle East and Africa.

Red Bull ranked second in the vote with 19.7%, but was the most popular team with fans over the age of 45. Red Bull finished ahead of Ferrari, which fell from being F1 fans' favourite team in 2017 to third in the 2021 vote, sitting on 17.9%, while Mercedes dropped to fourth on 11.9%.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1-fa ... m/6696648/

F1 Global Survey 2021 - Top 10 Favourite Drivers

Max Verstappen - 14.4%
Lando Norris - 13.7%
Lewis Hamilton - 12.5%
Daniel Ricciardo - 10.2%
Sebastian Vettel - 9%
Charles Leclerc - 7.4%
Fernando Alonso - 7.3%
Kimi Raikkonen - 5.4%
George Russell - 4%
Pierre Gasly - 2.9%

F1 Global Survey 2021 - Top 5 Favourite Teams

McLaren 29.5%
Red Bull 19.7%
Ferrari 17.9%
Mercedes 11.9%
Alpine 3.1%

Full findings of the 2021 F1 Global Survey here.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

@Star Whoops, JV has got himself in a bit of a tax evasion / minimisation scandal....

We all know it is not a new thing for F1 drivers and celebs to have off shore companies to minimise of taxes, but it seems JV has overstepped the mark, particularly in relation to his declared earnings whilst residing in Canada. Whilst living in his two-storey penthouse in Old Montreal with a private terrace and wide sight lines of the city's downtown. All allegedly at this stage, but it is in the hands of authorities and the legal system. There is no doubt he has many offshore companies that he benefits from, many of them with anonymous shareholders....

Reading the report it seems that much of what he has minimised over the years is legal, albeit by exploiting loopholes in the Canadian system. As mentioned It seems to be his declarations whilst residing in Canada that have exposed the whole scenario, along with his being mentioned in a leak of over 10 million confidential files from numerous offshore jurisdictions covering many individuals (The Pandora's Paper Leak). His manager Craig Pollack's name seems to crop up a bit in the report.

His situation has not been helped by controversial statement of complaint of students who were complaining of hikes in tuition fees whilst getting tax funded grants, taking money from the rich peoples taxes (ie like him) to fund it all. (Whilst not actually paying tax when he made the statement.) That is a bit naughty and certainly immoral.

Jacques Villeneuve's multimillion-dollar tax dodges exposed in leaked files
"...Add in image rights, a chic Montreal resto-bar and a number of luxury Quebec properties, and the sums could get dizzying.

Yet somehow, when he lived in Quebec in 2010, he declared just $6,431 in personal income — and claimed a tax credit for low-income families. The next two years, he declared $3,224 and $5,782 in income.

Much of Villeneuve's money, it turns out, was banked in offshore havens, mostly using tax avoidance strategies. Villeneuve also didn't live in Canada for most of his life and so didn't owe tax here for those years.

However, he was a Quebec resident from 1993 to 1996 and 2007 to 2013, and tax authorities are now accusing him of not reporting his full income and assets — including a Swiss bank account.

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

@Everso Biggyballies I hadn't actually seen this story, so thanks :)

Oh dear, naughty JV!! I know he has connections in Switzerland, that is where his fan club was when I was a member, I recall sending Swiss Francs to the fan club to pay my membership.

Lots of highly paid celebs do this though, he's one in a long list of many others. Is it right? Of course not. If all of these rich people paid their taxes like the 'normal' folk do, we'd all end up paying less in the long run. If he has cheated the system and they make him pay, he only has himself (or some dodgy advisors) to blame.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Star wrote: 2 years ago @Everso Biggyballies I hadn't actually seen this story, so thanks :)

Oh dear, naughty JV!! I know he has connections in Switzerland, that is where his fan club was when I was a member, I recall sending Swiss Francs to the fan club to pay my membership.

Lots of highly paid celebs do this though, he's one in a long list of many others. Is it right? Of course not. If all of these rich people paid their taxes like the 'normal' folk do, we'd all end up paying less in the long run. If he has cheated the system and they make him pay, he only has himself (or some dodgy advisors) to blame.
Certainly anyone in his sort of 'comfortable' financial situation minimises their tax commitments, and I understand that. Creative accounting and all that.

Where it gets a little unsavoury is when limits get overstepped, greed takes over and someone in his situation declares an income of $5000 (ie below the poverty line) and claims pauper credits on top of that, then has the gaul to complain widely about / against the struggling students complaining about tuition fee hikes when they are on grants paid for from government coffers all funded as he claimed by his and other wealthy people's income tax payments. Whilst not actually paying Canadian taxes himself. :suspicious: :insulted:

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Maybe JV only earned $5000 on Canadian ground during that time?

I guess selling his $7,200,000 house doesn't count as business income...
https://www.mtlblog.com/montreal/jacque ... ale-photos
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago Maybe JV only earned $5000 on Canadian ground during that time?

I guess selling his $7,200,000 house doesn't count as business income...
https://www.mtlblog.com/montreal/jacque ... ale-photos
They are talking about when he was living full time in Canada, not the other years. $5000 p.a. when you own/ run "a chic Montreal resto-bar" and own/rent out "a number of luxury Quebec properties"

Nice house though that he is selling.... the weather is a bit of a worry though. Not for me , even if I had the money for that sort of house.

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Oh I agree, what Jacques has done is very, very wrong. The thing is, how many other former and current drivers are doing much the same now? Many of them move to tax havens to 'protect their earnings' when they don't seriously have to worry about money given how much they get paid in their careers, especially the top earning ones.

If my lotto ticket comes up on Saturday I'll consider buying his house, I had an email telling me I'd won this morning but I don't think £30 will cover it though, do you? ;)
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Star wrote: 2 years ago The thing is, how many other former and current drivers are doing much the same now? Many of them move to tax havens to 'protect their earnings' when they don't seriously have to worry about money given how much they get paid in their careers, especially the top earning ones.

If my lotto ticket comes up on Saturday I'll consider buying his house, I had an email telling me I'd won this morning but I don't think £30 will cover it though, do you? ;)
JVs house.... not for me. Way to cold. Im solar powered and need sun to operate!

Re. celeb tax naughtiesLewis Hamilton was in trouble a few years ago over his jet which was registered off shore to avoid paying taxes on it (VAT?) Ultimately he sold the jet over it because he was unable to use it as a claimable toy without renting it to others..... though he claimed it was got rid of to reduce his carbon footprint!
ISTR that Lewis ran the jet 'as a charter business' ie rented to others to use. In reality he was the only 'customer' to ever use the lane. Also the same with his 1.7 million euro motorhome.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/n ... ise-papers

Flavio got into trouble over similar use of his Superyacht.... had it registered as a charter business but never actually rented it out to anyone, and claimed all the operating costs, depreciation, staffing costs for the charter business etc against tax.

XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to @DoubleFart's favorite driver!
Happy 23rd Lance!
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

I didn't want to have to see that.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

He's still in the Strloller to me.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion