Honda leaves F1 after 2021

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

HONDA OPEN TO FACILITATING RED BULL ENGINE PROJECT POST-2021

A bit of a twist in the who will supply RB/AT with engines after the Honda withdrawal from F1..... Honda management have said they are willing to allow RBR to keep its engines after its 2021 F1 exit so the team can develop them itself or with a new partner.

Commendable and I guess an honourable (morally quite Japanese in style) manner for Honda to bail out.... not just picking up their ball and going home leaving nothing to play with. More leaving their toyshop for the kids to continue to be able to play!

I think when Honda bailed as a team and sold to Brawn they were on very favourable terms... maybe to the extent of Brawn buying the team for 1 pound on the basis they took care of all the staff payoff costs and looked after their suppliers. Cant recall the exact details but I remember it was more than fair and ultimately made Brawn and his partners very wealthy.
“As Honda we had so many things from the teams, so we want to give it back somehow in a nice way for the future”
- Masashi Yamamoto
One alternative, which would likely require significant Red Bull commitment as well as agreement from all parties, is for Red Bull to assume Honda’s intellectual property and create a continuation programme for its engines, potentially with additional technical support from another partner.

The Race understands no such request has been made but Honda is willing to consider it as it wishes to make its exit as painless as possible, especially as Red Bull Racing and AlphaTauri helped make it an F1 winner again after three hard years with McLaren.

Honda F1 managing director Masashi Yamamoto told The Race: “Honda is happy to talk to them if they need us in any way, not only about the power unit but about other things as well.

“To support AlphaTauri and Red Bull for their programme after 2021 in any way, we’re happy to cooperate.

“As Honda we had so many things from the teams, so we want to give it back somehow in a nice way for the future.”

Asked if there is a limit to how Honda would be willing to help and if it that would stop a potential continuation project using Honda’s technology, Yamamoto said: “If that kind of request is made from the team, I am ready to speak to Japan.

“I personally want to support [what Red Bull and AlphaTauri do] as much as possible.”

Creating the infrastructure required to take over development of Honda’s engine would be a significant undertaking by Red Bull.

However, it has grown its facility at Milton Keynes, has major technical resources and partners, and could use it to redistribute some staff given the incoming budget cap in 2021 will force it to scale back its race team.

Building its own engine in the short-term is not possible for Red Bull but it may consider a rebadged continuation project realistic and preferable to becoming a customer again.

Honda started its Red Bull relationship in 2018 with the then-Toro Rosso junior team, as a precursor to a potential partnership with the senior outfit.

Red Bull was convinced early in the season to make the switch from Renault, with Honda dedicating resources to giving both the teams equal treatment as its de facto work outfits.

“However in the future, Red Bull and AlphaTauri may not have that kind of situation with other parties,” Yamamoto acknowledged.

“So, we want to support and help them in whatever way we can help them for the future.”

“For next year, we will not reduce any people from our project. We will make the biggest effort in order to win as much as possible”

The manufacturer is therefore committed to seeing out that deal rather than undertaking a rapid exit when this season is over, which gives Red Bull more time to establish what it does for its two teams.

Yamamoto said it has been a “disappointing” experience for himself and Honda CEO Takahiro Hachigo, who announced the company’s exit last Friday, as they wanted to keep the F1 programme going but had to respect the realities Honda is facing as an automotive company.

He said it was also “uncomfortable” because of the impact it had on two teams and F1 if those teams could not find a competitive solution, reiterating Honda’s desire to help ease the consequences of its exit.

“Our aim is now to exit the sport without making big [negative] changes in the sport,” he said. “That’s our target.”

Honda has promised to develop a new engine for 2021 without reducing its commitment, to try to sign off with a world championship challenge.

Though Red Bull and AlphaTauri have now both won with Honda, making it the only manufacturer to win with two teams in the V6 turbo-hybrid era, this season has not met expectations of a title assault.

However, Red Bull is optimistic it may be able to challenge Mercedes next season, something Honda insists it will be dedicated to trying to achieve as well.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/honda-op ... -post-2021

My only worry about such a project is how RBR would be able to fund such a project in terms of the budget cap which comes in next year, especially given that Honda being still their supplier next year means little can be done this year in terms of setting up the funding and physical side of such a project. Unless of course Honda wish to financially assist in the project.

Clearly a lot of grey areas that would need to be resolved but I guess it is an option that RB would be keen to evaluate. Maybe a third party sponsor could take over the engine project as did Tag with the Porsche engine McLaren used back in the eighties.

At the end of the day Renault supplying engines is very much the easier route and may for budget cap fulfilment may be the only way forward for Red Bull in real world terms, but it does give RB options.

Also thinking re Max and any exit clauses, when is a Honda engine not a Honda engine.... is it still a Honda engine if made by Mugen, or even whoever builds their Indycar engines in the US. They are Honda engines but not made by Honda in Japan.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Just create "Red Bull Hybrid Technology" and then "Red Bull Racing" can buy the engines from them, and the price can be $1m an engine, meaning loads of extra budget for R&D.

Loopholed and solved.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago Just create "Red Bull Hybrid Technology" and then "Red Bull Racing" can buy the engines from them, and the price can be $1m an engine, meaning loads of extra budget for R&D.

Loopholed and solved.
You dont get much of an F1 engine for $1mill. Maybe a crank and rods, or a couple of bare heads!

Im sure I read the FIA capped price for an engine deal was something around $40..... across 2 cars at 3 engines allowed each car per year. 6 engines per year $40 mill.
Obviously many will use more than 3 per car, but I guess they have to be paid for unless they get a warranty of the 7 race life they 'have' to have.

Edit: found an article which says between $7-8 million per engine. Fits in with what I believed the cost to be
https://f1chronicle.com/how-long-do-f1- ... ngine-cost

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Yes, but that's assuming Red Bull Engines would need to turn a profit. They could do the engines for free and operate at a loss as it wouldn't be under budget restrictions.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Sign Lewis for £30m and they can run on the hot air he produces and save £10m
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Red Bull rubbishes Verstappen exit clause rumours

With various rumours circulating regarding ith some claiming Max could have trigger clauses in his contract that are dependent on engine suppliers, Christian Horner has rubbished any suggestion Verstappen is questioning his future at the outfit, and says Honda's decision to bring forward plans for a new engine to the start of next year have actually increased optimism.
"There is no such clause in his contract," Horner told Red Bull's ServusTV about the possibility of Verstappen walking.

"The contracts between the driver and the team are private, but there is definitely no engine-related clause in Max's contract.
So that suggests there is a performance / results based exit clause. :haha:

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago My only worry about such a project is how RBR would be able to fund such a project in terms of the budget cap which comes in next year, especially given that Honda being still their supplier next year means little can be done this year in terms of setting up the funding and physical side of such a project. Unless of course Honda wish to financially assist in the project.
I am not sure this is a concern. There is no budget cap on engines and engine development. I gather Red Bull could haul off and spend $700 million developing their very own slightly-fizzy odd-tasting power-drink Formula One engine.

But, are they better off developing the Honda engine, or just starting with a blank piece of paper?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago My only worry about such a project is how RBR would be able to fund such a project in terms of the budget cap which comes in next year, especially given that Honda being still their supplier next year means little can be done this year in terms of setting up the funding and physical side of such a project. Unless of course Honda wish to financially assist in the project.
I am not sure this is a concern. There is no budget cap on engines and engine development. I gather Red Bull could haul off and spend $700 million developing their very own slightly-fizzy odd-tasting power-drink Formula One engine.

But, are they better off developing the Honda engine, or just starting with a blank piece of paper?
I believe you re budget caps and engine development.... tbh I have long lost track of what can / cannot be included in the budget caps. I know salaries for drivers plus a number of the most expensive guys on the payroll (3? per team) are exempt, but then it all got complex with Red Bull and Ferrari concerned about parts they develop for their customer teams to use, and the development costs they incur should not be part of the cap..... at which point I stopped trying to keep tabs on what is and isnt covered. :huh:

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

@Everso Biggyballies

Yea, engines are not part of the budget cap. There was just an interview published of Steve Horner where he discusses Verstappen’s contract. It also discusses engines and Horner pointed out how expensive an engine program is and opined that there also needs to be a budget cap on engines before they proceed.

My conclusion is that they are going to go with Renault.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

I notice Helmut Marko is doing a lot of whining the last day over engine costs, engine regulations and saying that Red Bull might even pull out. I assume this is all for a purpose. Does this mean they are seriously considering taking over the Honda unit and are now trying to find a way to control cost, gain an advantage, and switch earlier to new engine regulations to undermine Mercedes advantages?
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago Yea, engines are not part of the budget cap.

Who's brilliant idea was that? :annoyed:
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Michkov wrote: 3 years ago
Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago Yea, engines are not part of the budget cap.

Who's brilliant idea was that? :annoyed:
It was the best they could negotiate. Part of the problem was that there are ten teams and only four engine manufacturers (three of them with teams). So, it was a struggle to get all ten teams to agree to the budget cap. And engine budget cap would have to be separate and in some respects is more complex, as some teams provide engines for four teams and some for only one.

So yea, I think they will eventually have to put in an engine budget cap before they change the engine regulations, but it probably needs to be on some sliding scale depending on how many teams they are supporting.

The important point is that they got a budget cap in. Once one is in, it can be tweaked and expanded. It was getting it in place the first time that was the big challenge. This was when the Concorde Agreement allowed any one team to block everything. They have also revised that.

So, while I am disappointed that Chase Carey did not make all the fundamental changes to F1 that he needed to make, he did make an important one or two. This is better than Ecclestone/Mosley, who I believe had become detrimental to F1.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mercedes will not supply Red Bull with engines.

No surprise really but Toto Wolff hs confirmed Mercedes would not even consider supplying engines to Red Bull and or Alpha Tauri. Toto cited "Various reasons". He has avoided the competitive aspect citing capacity reasons given MB will be supplying 4 teams next year.
Toto wrote:"The main [reason] being that we are supplying four teams including us," Wolff said.

"We are almost in a state where we cannot make power units for all of us, so there is no capacity.

"But I have no doubt that Helmut [Marko] will have a Plan B, as he said, and probably doesn't need to rely on any of the current power unit suppliers."
Red Bull did previously ask Mercedes for an engine supply when they first spoke of wanting to split from Renault. Then the Mercedes Board vetoed the ide.

Ferrari wont offer either

Although they have said they might consider it but Red Bull would have to basically get on their knees and ask.

As we know Renault have offered, but they have also publically stated that they did not believe Red Bull would have that idea as Plan A due to the history. :haha:

Horner has also said it is inconceivable that the two Red Bull teams might run different engines as they did way back when in the dayss of STR, most recently when RBR went to Honda whilst STR continued with Renault for a further year. I seem to remember STR running Ferrari engines Red Bull dropped Ferrari in favour of Renault in c 2007. STR kept with Ferrari until 2014.

Nowadays the two teams run the same powertrain and rear suspension through the common link with Red Bull technology

caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

My feeling is that Red Bull could make his own pu starting on Honda blue print. The starting point seems good and competitive, and if I understood correctly Honda would not ask money. It seems quite an occasion especially with the backings image of turbo development. If the rules will stay as now they could make a separate venture that could be sold to a car manufacturer entering f1 in the future at last. On the other hand I read that one single engine costs around 7 million euro. It’s pretty obvious that the single unit bears a big stake of the fixed costs and development costs of the project. I ask myself why all this...formula 1 hybrid technology has no real application in real life manufacturing projects. Formula one had its heyday in the 70s when the DFV project had an application that lasted for almost 20 years. I ask myself if f1 can aim to long term prosperity with the huge costs of useless hybrid power units. How long will the hybrid era continue?
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Red Bull seriously considering taking over the Honda F1 engine project for 2022

Yes, I know that thought has been mentioned and discussed here already so is not big news in itself..... but we have some official developments, if only theoretical at this stage.

In an update Red Bull says its preferred option for Formula 1 engines in 2022 is now not to pursue customer engines but for it to take over the Honda project and run the power units itself.

It says that, providing the FIA agrees to an engine freeze from the start of 2022, which means Red Bull would not have to worry with developing the power unit, then it could take over the entire Honda project.

Marko says factory space available near its factory, plus the close proximity of Honda's current UK facilities, make such an option realistic.

Marko said that Red Bull's preference to go down the Honda route was based on it feeling that its chances of fighting for the world championship would be compromised by taking customer engines.
"We would favour, provided the talks with Honda are positive, that we take over the IP rights and everything that is necessary, to then prepare and deploy the engines ourselves in Milton Keynes."

"But this is only possible on condition that the engines are frozen by the first race in 2022 at the latest. We cannot afford further development, neither technically nor financially. That is a prerequisite."

"All engine manufacturers have their own team and that means they develop the engine around their chassis," he said.

"We would get something where we would have to adapt our chassis and our ideas secondary, and we would be confronted with a technical solution that we would have to accept.

"That's why the Honda solution is [our favourite]. Nevertheless, we are exploring all possibilities.

"According to the FIA regulations, every engine manufacturer has committed itself to supplying other teams. If something like this is to be a possibility for us, then it must fit the overall situation, and it must make us competitive.

"A happy forced marriage is not an issue for us."
How feasible or likely is it that the FIA will freeze all engine development on engines, albeit not until or by 2022. At least I suppose, that Ferrari will be able to get its engine programme back in line with others by then. I wonder if Renault Ferrari and Mercedes would agree that avenue, in an environment where development is key to success. Particularly when you are a manufacturer with relevant budget.

As an aside have the FIA/F1 given any clues on what the new engine format will be beyond what we have now? I know they have postponed the original time-scale (to 2026?) Are we tuck with the overweight over complicated over expensive ERS KERS Turbo Hybrid relevance lacking crap we have now until then?

I know we have new chassis and simplified aero regs coming in for 2022, but what about the longer term engine plans?

John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Or will it be Mugen branded after all under some sort of Red Bull/Mugen umbrella? Does Red Bull even have the knowhow to develop the engine?
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.