Sprint races approved and happening in 2021. Balls.

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago It'll be 100 hundred bottles of fruit-flavoured fizzy water for the pole position winner.
I read a bit more about this new trophy... not much more, but it is to do with a new special award offered by F1 sponsor Crypto.com, backer of the sprint events. Still no idea what it actually will be. Probably some sort of crypto-currency / bitcoins award or similar. :dunno:

XcraigX wrote: 2 years ago Historical GP format? So they are going to let the top 10 drivers from the WDC drive a sprint race in historic cars? I'd be down for that!
I'd vote for the '76 Brabham. GO!
Sorry nothing that positive or exciting.... :nah: it seems its not a Historic format, just they are going to bastardise the Historical GPs.... :annoyed: :aggro:
A little bit more about this Historical format they have teased us with..... not that exciting. It seems they (sprint format races) are going to be part of the Historically significant / iconic / GPs...
Domencali wrote:"We have ideas to create a special format for certain historical grands prix, and certain special awards that we want to offer, and add to the already incredible platform of F1."

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Not particularly surprising that they're going ahead. As I said before, anything other than a complete and epic failure, and they're going to push ahead with more sprint races. More races means more viewers means more revenue.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
XcraigX wrote: 2 years ago Historical GP format? So they are going to let the top 10 drivers from the WDC drive a sprint race in historic cars? I'd be down for that!
I'd vote for the '76 Brabham. GO!
Sorry nothing that positive or exciting.... :nah: it seems its not a Historic format, just they are going to bastardise the Historical GPs.... :annoyed: :aggro:
A little bit more about this Historical format they have teased us with..... not that exciting. It seems they (sprint format races) are going to be part of the Historically significant / iconic / GPs...
Domencali wrote:"We have ideas to create a special format for certain historical grands prix, and certain special awards that we want to offer, and add to the already incredible platform of F1."
Where is the "dislike" button? :annoyed: :banghead:
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago It'll be 100 hundred bottles of fruit-flavoured fizzy water for the pole position winner.
I read a bit more about this new trophy... not much more, but it is to do with a new special award offered by F1 sponsor Crypto.com, backer of the sprint events. Still no idea what it actually will be. Probably some sort of crypto-currency / bitcoins award or similar. :dunno:

We like to party
We like, we like to party
We like to party
We like to party
We like to party

I've got somethin' to tell ya
I've got news for you
Gonna put some wheels in motion
Get ready 'cause we're comin' through (comin' through)
Hey now, hey now, hear what I say now
Happiness is just around the corner
Hey now, hey now, hear what I say now
We'll be there for you..

The Crypto bus is comin' and everybody's jumpin'!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Is it too much to ask for that the historic GP format is...

Practice and qualifying on Friday.
Followed by practice and second qualifying on Saturday.
And a full race on Sunday that isn't disrupted by red flags?

Yes.

Yes it is.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Well, the new wonderful will change the face of F1 new idea / award that we have been teased with, discussed above and has now been confirmed as.....

Formula 1 has announced a new award that will honour the driver who makes the most overtaking moves during a season.

Wow. Such a dynamic idea I had to put it in large letters. :tearful: :sick: :insulted:

Seriously though.... what a total wank. Excuse my terminology but really. Is that the best they can come up with?
It seems more that this crypto mob came up with a bit of cash they wanted to hide legitimately and offered the $$$ to Liberty... and this was the best they could come up with.

The whole concept of most overtakes is totally flawed and geared to those at the back. Max or Lewis starting at the front have minimal opportunity to pass unless they have other issues arising. Clearly someone with a decent car who messes up qualy and starts from a lowly position will have it all his way. Tailor made for Danny Ric or Seb Vettell I would think, though Kimi will be up there I guess.

Well thats my thought, I have not even read the official words yet, but lets have a go now..... oh deae, Im not liking what I read. I highlighted some of the stuff that is most cringeworthy.
The Overtake Award is backed by Crypto.com, the cryptocurrency company that already has strong links with F1’s sprint events.

F1 says that new prize is “designed to celebrate the bravery exhibited by drivers who make bold moves in pursuit of success.”

In addition F1 notes that “new broadcast graphics will be introduced live during each race, to signal overtaking possibilities and potential moves, and to help fans keep track of drivers’ progress in the hunt for the Crypto.com Overtake Award, [and] which will chart the amount of overtakes made throughout the campaign.”

By definition the award is set to go to a driver from the midfield rather than a regular pole man or race winner. It’s understood that Aston Martin’s Sebastian Vettel is the current leader after the first 11 races of the season.

The news shows that F1 is continuing to seek fresh ways of involving its key sponsors in new areas, with the overtaking trophy joining existing prizes such as the DHL Fastest Lap Award.

It also gives Crypto.com a wider presence over the full season, and not just on sprint event weekends. Intriguingly F1 has tried to draw a comparison between overtaking on the track and dealing in cryptocurrency.

F1’s director of commercial partnerships Ben Pincus said: “We’re delighted to be expanding our partnership with Crypto.com as we introduce the Overtake Award which will integrate the brand into F1 throughout the season, in addition to the title partnership of the F1 Sprint Events.

“The Crypto.com Overtake Award gives us the chance to celebrate drivers’ instincts to make bold and strategic moves which reflects the qualities needed when dealing in cryptocurrency.” :rofl: :haha:

Crypto.com chief marketing officer Steve Kalifowitz added: “We are extremely proud to be introducing a first of its kind award to Formula 1. We strive to create partnerships that deliver win-win-win opportunities and I can’t think of a more perfect opportunity than the Crypto.com Overtake Award.

“This award allows our values to shine through celebrating the moments where drivers exhibit the bravery required to get ahead.
This season has already seen some amazing overtakes, and I can’t wait to see who this year’s champion is.”
Give me a break... please. And a bucket.

Am I being overly critical?
Is this going to solve F1's issues?
Thoughts on a postcard please.....

Edit: Just a thought but the timing of this announcement, just as many of the top drivers are looking likely to receive hefty grid penalties for going over their engine usage limits makes me feel this could be one to put money on Max to win!

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Brawn surprised by ‘boring’ F1 Sprint Qualifying

Formula 1 boss Ross Brawn has admitted he was surprised at the lack of overtaking in a Sprint Qualifying session for the Italian Grand Prix Sergio Perez branded “boring”.

Provisional pole sitter Valtteri Bottas led the 18-lap session from lights to flag, trailed by Max Verstappen, Daniel Ricciardo, Lando Norris, and Lewis Hamilton.

The latter’s slip from second to fifth at the start proved the only significant movement of the race, though Perez was able to claw back one spot on Lance Stroll after falling to 10th.

It was otherwise a processional affair, far removed from the action Brawn expected to see in Monza.

“We’re optimistic that next year’s car is going to help a lot,” said Brawn, F1’s managing director of motorsport.

“But I must say, I was surprised how difficult it was to overtake, even with DRS.

“This was one of the races we selected because we thought there would be more opportunity, but as the race panned out that didn’t seem to be the case.”

“The whole weekend is evolving, we’ve got a three-stage event,” Brawn reasoned.

“We’ve got quite a different complexion on the race tomorrow than we thought we had after qualifying on Friday, so I think it’s great in that respect.

“A little bit quiet at the front of the grid, but then you get that at races anyway.

“Plenty of action in the middle,” he added.

“Plenty of action at the start – we had a very exciting start – so I think it’s added to it, I think it’s added to the whole thing.”
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/09/12/br ... ualifying/

The tone feels very much like "We don't care. We're sticking with it."

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago

Exactly my thoughts. At least he has changed his tune on how exciting he said it was yesterday!

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago

Formula 1 boss Ross Brawn has admitted he was surprised at the lack of overtaking in a Sprint Qualifying session for the Italian Grand Prix Sergio Perez branded “boring”.

Provisional pole sitter Valtteri Bottas led the 18-lap session from lights to flag, trailed by Max Verstappen, Daniel Ricciardo, Lando Norris, and Lewis Hamilton.

The latter’s slip from second to fifth at the start proved the only significant movement of the race, though Perez was able to claw back one spot on Lance Stroll after falling to 10th.

It was otherwise a processional affair, far removed from the action Brawn expected to see in Monza.

“We’re optimistic that next year’s car is going to help a lot,” said Brawn, F1’s managing director of motorsport.

“But I must say, I was surprised how difficult it was to overtake, even with DRS.

“This was one of the races we selected because we thought there would be more opportunity, but as the race panned out that didn’t seem to be the case.”

“The whole weekend is evolving, we’ve got a three-stage event,” Brawn reasoned.

“We’ve got quite a different complexion on the race tomorrow than we thought we had after qualifying on Friday, so I think it’s great in that respect.

“A little bit quiet at the front of the grid, but then you get that at races anyway.

“Plenty of action in the middle,” he added.

“Plenty of action at the start – we had a very exciting start – so I think it’s added to it, I think it’s added to the whole thing.”
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/09/12/br ... ualifying/

The majority of exciting racing happens because of tyre deg and overlapping strategies. There's no chance for that to happen in the sprint race.

F2 manages to put on a good show under similar circumstances though...
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago

F2 manages to put on a good show under similar circumstances though...
In F2 Draft > Turbulence
However in todays F1 Turbulence > Draft.
The F1 car has to be much faster on an open track and then catch the draft for a pass to work (see Bottas from the back). In F2, where the cars are mostly even and the aero regs are fixed, as long as you can catch the draft, you are likely to be pulled closer and make the pass.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Here's a radical suggestion.. three times a year, stick the F1 guys in the F2 cars and have a sprint race in those.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Why not something fun they can lean on each other with, like 2CVs or MX5s?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Jean Todt has his say on Sprint race format weekends....

..... and it is not all in favour by any means. In fact he refers to it as confusing and in ways pointless. He is particularly scathing about FP2. He also worries about the diminishing of the key weekend activity.... the Sunday race. For what?

While the format has drawn some mixed responses from fans, Todt says one of the things that baffles him the most is the way that there is practice between Friday qualifying and the sprint.

With the one-hour session not meaning much for fans, Todt says that the running could actually be negative for the spectacle because it is of huge benefit for teams in nailing their tyre understanding and race strategies.

Im glad someone in authority is speaking in a negative fashion in regard to this concept. Ross Brawn needs to be reigned in a bit with his false enthusiasm and 'best thing since sliced bread' beliefs. It seems they (Liberty /F1, not the FIA) are already talking of 1/3 of the races will be Print format. :sick: :nuts:
"For the moment this [sprint] format leaves me a bit perplexed over what happens between 12pm and 1pm on Saturday morning," Todt told Italian media in reference to the FP2 session.

"This free practice hour is not understandable to the public nor the media. It can only be of interest to the teams to collect information, for example on tyre wear. From the point of view of the show, it makes no sense."

The issue of FP2 potentially detracting from the spectacle, because it gives teams too much knowledge, is something that Italian GP winner Daniel Ricciardo brought up.

"I'm not sure FP2 does a lot," said the Australian. "I think actually we probably learn too much and then the races are a little kind of predictable.

"I know about TV time, but I think for the health of the race, FP2 maybe hurts that a little bit because we kind of gain too much knowledge, so maybe that's something that'll change."

The other issue that fans have expressed unhappiness over is the way that pole position is awarded to the sprint winner rather than the fastest driver in qualifying.

It's something that F1 is ready to look at, but Todt says the only thing that ultimately matters is that the spectacle on Sunday is the best it can be.

"It is an evolution of the competition," he said. "The grid is made from the result of the sprint qualifying.

"An additional event was introduced on Saturday, which gives more meaning to the qualifying on Friday. What is important is that the main event is the Sunday race. There must be no confusion about this."

F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali has talked about the possibility of one third of the grands prix in 2022 featuring sprint qualifying events.

However, Todt says that the sport must wait for final feedback after the trials are finished before making a call on what happens next.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/havin ... t/6667671/

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Im glad someone in authority is speaking in a negative fashion in regard to this concept. Ross Brawn needs to be reigned in a bit with his false enthusiasm and 'best thing since sliced bread' beliefs. It seems they (Liberty /F1, not the FIA) are already talking of 1/3 of the races will be Print format. :sick: :nuts:
It's fair enough that they tried it, but I have a feeling it is more likely to be dropped, rather than expanded upon.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Im glad someone in authority is speaking in a negative fashion in regard to this concept. Ross Brawn needs to be reigned in a bit with his false enthusiasm and 'best thing since sliced bread' beliefs. It seems they (Liberty /F1, not the FIA) are already talking of 1/3 of the races will be Print format. :sick: :nuts:
It's fair enough that they tried it, but I have a feeling it is more likely to be dropped, rather than expanded upon.
:fingers: :fingers:

I wish I had the same confidence in Liberty doing the sensible thing as you.....

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Hopefully some good news in the offing for those not keen on the press on for more frequent Sprint races...... and being F1 it all comes down to $$$$. Oh and the teams having too much say in how the sport is run.

F1 money dispute could scupper 2022 sprint race plans

Formula 1 risks having to abandon plans for sprint races in 2022 amid an ongoing stalemate over costs, according to McLaren CEO Zak Brown. (I have to say when Zal Brown came into McLaren I was a bit anti his persona ..... I have to say I have done a complete change and now see his involvement as a breath of fresh air over the usual whingeing hard done by Horners and Wolff's of F1. I like Zak's seeming "Suck it up Princess" attitude.

In fact he is part of the reason, along with the drivers and general aura why McLaren has become my favourite team. Something I would never have thought back in RD's days. The aura and feel I believe is a direct consequence of his leadership style.

As with all these things it is both good and bad. It seems this little hiccup might only affect this year and Sprint races seem set to be in on a longer term.
Grand Prix racing’s chiefs are hoping to push on with plans to hold six sprint races this year, following the success of the experiments at Silverstone, Monza and Interlagos in 2021.

However, the green light has not yet been given because teams have yet to agree with F1’s commercial rights holder on a funding package for the races.

It is understood teams were paid an extra $100,000 per event for each sprint in 2021. They were also given a cost cap allowance of $450,000 for the three events, plus scope for an extra $100,000 per car for accident damage in the event of a serious incident.

For this year, it is understood that F1 does not want to offer any extra allowance for crashes. Instead, its initial offer was a straight $500,000 payment per team for the first five events, plus an extra $150,000 for each event above that. This effectively meant an extra $2.65 million for each team for the six races in 2022.

It is understood that this offer has not gone down well with the bigger teams who are at the limit of the cost cap and are worried it is not enough. They fear that the addition of extra sprint costs could force them to compromise in what they can devote to pure performance improvements in the event of crashes.

According to Brown, one unidentified team wants the cost cap limit raised by $5 million dollars instead of what is on offer.

However, the smaller squads believe that calls for the cost cap to go up by such a margin are simply a cover for the bigger squads to spend more on making their cars go quicker rather, than being necessary for the sprint races.

The ongoing failure to find a middle ground is a problem for F1 because, with just a few weeks to go ahead of the first F1 race of the season, the dispute over the money risks derailing the sprint race plans entirely.

F1’s current governance structure means that, for the rules to change in the current year, then it needs a ‘super majority’ of 28 votes from the 30 representatives in the F1 Commission.

While the 10 votes each from F1 and FIA are guaranteed, getting eight teams to back the idea could be a problem with it understood that Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari are the most concerned about the situation – and could force the hand of customer teams to support their stance.

Brown, whose team is happy with the current financial package on offer, is worried that there is a danger of a couple of outfits pulling rank and scuppering the sprint idea completely.

Asked how F1 can get out of the impasse over money, Brown said: “We might not, which would be the unfortunate thing.”

Brown was far from happy with the push being made by bigger spending outfits to try to push up the cost cap limit.

“We all have the same challenge,” he said.

“If you do happen to have more incidents, that's the same problem we all have. And to me that's part of the sport. It is dealing with challenges: not I just want to solve it by getting my chequebook out.”

He added: “One team in particular wanted a $5 million budget cap increase, which was just ridiculous, and had no rational facts behind it.

“Then, when you challenge those facts, they go, ‘but you need to anticipate things just in case’. So you just sit there and you go: ‘That is just nonsense.’”

With the battlelines drawn, Brown believes the best approach may well be to ditch plans for sprints in 2022 and instead focus on getting approval for 2023 – where only six teams would need to support the plans because only an overall majority is needed for long term rule changes.

“I'd like us not to run into a situation where we're voting for 2022, where we have to get back to eight votes, because we passed a milestone date,” he said.

“I think we should go ahead and lock in now 2023, with no budget cap raise at all, if you want to be hard about it.

“Then maybe either there can be a compromise made and we can raise it a little bit so we can go ahead and start with 2022, or we skip 2022. And then I think a couple of these teams should have to explain to the fans why there's no sprint races.”