Sprint races approved and happening in 2021. Balls.

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

"And with a time of 45 minutes and 34 seconds, please welcome your pole position winner, Lewis Hamilton!"
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago When we have Sprint race format weekends....

Who would have thought the person fastest in Fridays Official Qualifying would have pole position?
But the fastest guy on Friday will win GT'P'! I'm not considering the s int race at all! :nah:
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

XcraigX wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago When we have Sprint race format weekends....

Who would have thought the person fastest in Fridays Official Qualifying would have pole position?
But the fastest guy on Friday will win GT'P'! I'm not considering the s int race at all! :nah:
Personally, I'd love to see a non-championship guess the race time pole round...

Sure, there's the possibility of rain... But how about three safety cars? :P

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago OK Quiz time

When we have Sprint race format weekends....

How many of you put.your hands up? (Apart from me.) I ut my hand u. To me the bloke who qualifies fastest gets pole position.

All those who thought the same, we are all wrong. That is also what Ross Brawn said when this whole concept was spoken of. So he was wrong as well.

But after Ross told us that fastest in qualy was ole, as usual, the wise men at the FIA and Liberty got their heads together and decided No. No the person who gets pole is the person who wins the sprint race.
I hate to bring this up but.. you yourself posted this explanation on page 2 of this thread 😉:

Yes but the part I really dont like was not explained and has only just recently been confirmed, and that is that pole position in name and stat form is now officially given to the sprint race winner. I know the Sprint race winner starts at the front (aka pole) of the feature race, but the person who sets what to me is the essence of qualifying, the out and out fastest one lap time, does not get recorded as the fastest qualifier. The pole position is now held by a race winner who as @MonteCristo says has set a pole position of 45 minutes or so, maybe conserving tyres and engine on the way. Not to me what the essence of qualifying is.

Its just a rant... originally they had said the pole stat would be held by the person who had gone through Q1,Q2 and Q3 and set the fastest individual lap in Q3. I was fine with that.

The same reason as I dont like the Indy 500 pole being an average of 4 laps. I understand with Indy, being an oval of such a short time but a 30 la cumulative pole time, not for me.

The rest of my post re the points and stuff was just a red wine fuelled rant of other things that I dont like about the new format. I was on a roll! :aggro: :haha:

Having had my rant, I will say that, whilst I have my reservations I am happy to sit back and see how it pans out. If I find it better, well, humble pie will be eaten. And maybe a hat or two

*Not to self: dont post rants fuelled by red wine. :blush: :whistling:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Maybe they could just get rid of the three qualifying periods, seeing as they're effectively redundant.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago Maybe they could just get rid of the three qualifying periods, seeing as they're effectively redundant.
Then they would have to draw for position, subtract the number first thought of, add the drivers birthdate first number, , and then double it, then reverse everything to work out who starts where in the sprint race. :wink:

Or just have a pre-qualifying race to work out .... or a fan vote!
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago Maybe they could just get rid of the three qualifying periods, seeing as they're effectively redundant.
Then they would have to draw for position, subtract the number first thought of, add the drivers birthdate first number, , and then double it, then reverse everything to work out who starts where in the sprint race. :wink:
Double points if it's the driver's birthday month.

Five place grid penalty if a second cousin was born within 2000km of the circuit.

Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
I know the Sprint race winner starts at the front (aka pole) of the feature race, but the person who sets what to me is the essence of qualifying, the out and out fastest one lap time, does not get recorded as the fastest qualifier. The pole position is now held by a race winner who as @MonteCristo says has set a pole position of 45 minutes or so, maybe conserving tyres and engine on the way. Not to me what the essence of qualifying is.
I get what you're saying, but I absolutely can't stomach the idea of one driver getting pole position on Friday, starting the sprint race in first, then being passed.. and the driver who starts the main race on Sunday is not considered the pole sitter. Even if the method of securing pole has changed, the title of pole sitter should always go to whoever starts Sunday in first.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Williams FW14
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Subaru Forester

Post by Kai-Star »

I haven't read into the nitty gritty. So my question is (if anyone can answer), will the tyres be different for the Sprint Race and the Full Race? Also will setup changes between races be allowed? If both are true, at least we'll potentially get different races.
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Lewis Hamilton says he has “not particularly” high hopes for Formula 1’s first sprint race at Silverstone next weekend, predicting it will be “a train”.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/ha ... d=msedgntp

Makes sense.

No point risking going backwards. The only people who would push would be those who qualified... errr... pre(?)-qualified out of position towards the back.

Otherwise, why risk it all for a place or two that don't overly matter?

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Michael Masi says he’s open to adjusting the new sprint qualifying weekend rules should any unexpected issues arise at the British GP.

So some things from this weekend coming might not be around at Monza.... Mind you the rules have been written by a committee of all teams, principals, the FIA, F1 / Liberty etc. What could possibly go wrong?! :twisted:

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

So you do all that work and qualify first, do the sprint race and say get put off in the first corner and have to retire, that's your Sunday over. I don't like this as a plan but I could be wrong. Obviously with me being a woman, that usually never happens ;)
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

I don't understand why the sprint race would necessarily be any more of a train than the Sunday race. As far as I see it, the sprint race is basically just the first few laps of the Grand Prix (With bonus points). In my experience, that's the best time to make up places.

We've seen plenty of foolhardy moves on lap one in the past. I don't see why the sprint race should be any different, just because it's a day earlier. It's still a great opportunity to make up spots.

In fact, drivers who start well but qualify poorly should be excited.. they've doubled their chances of moving up the field.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Fuck. A shit qualifier who gets lucky in weird situations?

Put all your money on Stroll.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Re Stroll I noticed that at the last round he got all of the one-off updates for his car. The team had always said priority would go to whoever was leading in the championship. At that time Stroll was.

Now that Vettel seems to have got a bit more of a handle on the car, and has amassed over double the points of Stroll it seems Stroll still gets them first. :annoyed: Oh well I guess Seb knew it was always going to go the way of Daddy's boy.

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago
Lewis Hamilton says he has “not particularly” high hopes for Formula 1’s first sprint race at Silverstone next weekend, predicting it will be “a train”.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/ha ... d=msedgntp

Makes sense.

No point risking going backwards. The only people who would push would be those who qualified... errr... pre(?)-qualified out of position towards the back.

Otherwise, why risk it all for a place or two that don't overly matter?
Yeah, people won't risk a damn thing in sprint races if they don't have to. This will be boredom on steroids. If Hamilton openly says this will be a train then you just know how boring this will be :haha:
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...