First look at Saudi Arabia street circuit (vOnboard)

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Circuitmaster wrote: 3 years ago I get the Saudi criticism. I don't really get the new circuit criticism. It seems like every time a new layout is revealed, fans look for the long straight tight corner combo. If it's not there, they complain that there will be no passing. If it is there, they complain that it's just going to be another generic Tilkedrome, depending on drs passes in the same spots every lap.

I actually like the layout more each time I look at it. It's pretty bold honestly, and I don't think the passing will be as difficult as people say. It's a shame it's flat though.
I think passing will be very hard.

But I can also see a wreckfest.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

The layout is over 6 km. Based on a quick Google mapping, the pit straight is about 1km, and the flat out section leading to the last corner is roughly 1km also.

Just saying!
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

It's all fun and games until we see a plan crash after wheels touch.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago It's all fun and games until we see a plan crash after wheels touch.
You'd think after the new wave of safety analysis that narrow concrete tunnels would be viewed more suspiciously.

Almost been a few bad ones in FE in the last two season where a car could have landed on the barrier or vaulted it.

Seems to be asking for trouble

Not just fast straights but straights with flicks and kinks
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Interesting read:

Saudi Arabia has spent at least $1.5bn on 'sportswashing', report reveals

Including this:
The report, published next week, also details the Kingdom’s $650m ten-year deal with Formula One, whose world championships begin this Sunday and for the first time will include a race in the port city of Jeddah.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... rt-reveals

The track better be good... Because it sounds like we're stuck with it.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Im waiting for the announcement that the GP will be supported by the Women in F1 race!
I see they have put their hand up to host a round of Women in F1 at the GP back in November.
(I think the schedule for WiF1 has been set for 8 GPs and not including Saudi)

Found this article from the end of last year about it. Probably from the Sportswashing Gazette.
"Hopefully we will be one of the lucky countries to host them," Prince Khalid Bin Sultan Al Faisal, president of the SAMF, told reporters in a video briefing when asked about W Series.
"We would like to inspire our locals and bring them these types of events. We would like to see more women racing in Saudi Arabia.
"Sport is for all and we are really pushing women in motorsport in Saudi Arabia and we are really taking it seriously... so hopefully we can get an agreement and host it with Formula Two."
Saudi Arabia's first female racer Reema al Juffali, who comes from Jeddah, has been competing in the British Formula Four championship.
Women were not allowed to drive cars in Saudi Arabia until a ban was lifted in 2018. At least a dozen prominent women's rights activists, who had campaigned for the right to drive, remain in jail.
"The bitter irony over a Saudi Grand Prix is that the very people who fought for the rights of Saudi women to be able to drive are now themselves languishing in jail," said Felix Jakens, Amnesty International UK’s Head of Campaigns.
W Series founder and chief executive Catherine Bond Muir said the 2021 season might not stretch as far as the November street race in Jeddah.
"I have no objection about going to Saudi Arabia, provided we can establish a meaningful relationship," she told reporters separately. "And I think that would take some time to put together."
https://www.eurosport.com/formula-1/mot ... tory.shtml

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

How the fuck is mazepin going to get around here ? Lol
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Sport is for all. Public life however is not. Know your place.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago Interesting read:

Including this:
The report, published next week, also details the Kingdom’s $650m ten-year deal with Formula One, whose world championships begin this Sunday and for the first time will include a race in the port city of Jeddah.

Well the track in this thread won't be the one that we're stuck with for the rest of the decade. That honour goes to the (even longer than Spa) Qiddya circuit. Which is interesting to say the least.

Not sure why it's coming up so small. The right bit is clockwise, the left bit anticlockwise.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Circuitmaster wrote: 3 years ago

Including this:

Well the track in this thread won't be the one that we're stuck with for the rest of the decade. That honour goes to the (even longer than Spa) Qiddya circuit. Which is interesting to say the least.

Not sure why it's coming up so small. The right bit is clockwise, the left bit anticlockwise.
It's the new old interlagos lol
MiÑardi
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1 + Indycar
Car(s) Currently Owned: Toyota Celica GT

Post by MiÑardi »

Circuitmaster wrote: 3 years ago I get the Saudi criticism. I don't really get the new circuit criticism. It seems like every time a new layout is revealed, fans look for the long straight tight corner combo. If it's not there, they complain that there will be no passing. If it is there, they complain that it's just going to be another generic Tilkedrome, depending on drs passes in the same spots every lap.

I actually like the layout more each time I look at it. It's pretty bold honestly, and I don't think the passing will be as difficult as people say. It's a shame it's flat though.
This is exactly how I feel about it. I saw the layout and was pleased to see something different; not the usual long straight - hairpin - straight Tilke formula. Very high speed layout, and some sections that look quite unforgiving (hopefully enough to punish mistakes without being too dangerous). With some elevation, it would have been really impressive. People looked at Mugello and said there would be no overtaking. There is a similarly long 'straight' here. I think we need to give it a chance. A lot of high speed direction changes - almost like a street version of the Maggotts/Becketts complex. 2022 regs will hopefully allow the cars to stay closer in the fast corners.

Of course, I am less than thrilled about it being in Saudi.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

The new new circuit needs a new new thread else it gets as confused as mazepin at Monaco here
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

If you loaded it through the add image option in the posting box I think it loads a thumbnail by default. Click the thumbnail and voila....

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Including this:

Hrm. Hard to say in that case. If the scale is Spa-esque, then all those squiggles might not be so dire. Or they still might be dire.

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago

Including this:

Hrm. Hard to say in that case. If the scale is Spa-esque, then all those squiggles might not be so dire. Or they still might be dire.
It's fine given the length. As long as those right angles are actually a bridge (surely)
It's supposed to have gradient too, about time for a new circuit
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

The track is said to be longer than Spa and the right angles are a bridge, note the order of T1,2 and 3.