Silly Season 2022

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Bottom post of the previous page:

aaaand it's confirmed Guanyou Zhou will race for Alfa Romeo in 2022. Kid could be good, will be interesting. 50/50 whether he'll progress further than Gio, who looks to be another poor sod to seek refuge in Formula E...
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

shots fired
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Well, in all reality Giovinazzi had plenty of time to prove himself in F1. He had three full seasons, which is more that a lot of people get, 59 races. Made his debut in 2017 and was a reserve and test driver in 2017-2018. Then he had three full seasons as a driver. He has had his chance.

Is there anyone here who thinks he should be promoted to Ferrari, Red Bull or Mercedes?

I did watch Zhou in that Virtual GP season, where he made a couple of appearances and won the first race. I was impressed with him (I was more impressed with Le Clerc and Russell). He does have an F2 career of three seasons: 63 entries, 4 wins, 3 poles and 7 fastest laps. Currently running second in the championship this year. So certainly as strong of a pedigree as Stroll or Latifi or Mazepin.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Im sure Zhou wont be at Alfa for too long..... Being an Alpine Academy driver I believe that he will do his year (maybe 2) at Alfa to get his F1 experience up, and then, when Fernando hangs up his hat, slip into his vacated seat over at Alpine.. That will then free up a slot in F1 for the undoubtedly talented Sauber Academy driver Theo Pourchaire, who, at just 17 was never going to jump straight from a year in F2 to a full time F1 gig. He won the FIA F4 title, then was runner up in F3 the following year, jumping straight to F2 this year where he has performed well but not well enough to command a move.

Of course all that theory goes down the toilet if like Albon had to with his RBR deal on joining Williams, Zhou has to cut of his allegiance to Alpine to move to Sauber.....

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Im sure Zhou wont be at Alfa for too long..... Being an Alpine Academy driver I believe that he will do his year (maybe 2) at Alfa to get his F1 experience up, and then, when Fernando hangs up his hat, slip into his vacated seat over at Alpine..
Well, I have no idea when Alonso is planning on hanging up his hat. If I was Alpine though, I would be looking at fellow French man Gasly. They could go racing with two good French drivers (Ocon and Gasly). Haven't seen a completely French team in a while.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago ...... If I was Alpine though, I would be looking at fellow French man Gasly. They could go racing with two good French drivers (Ocon and Gasly). Haven't seen a completely French team in a while.
Perhaps the last time was Eric Bernard and Olivier Panis, Ligier, in 1994.... French team, French engine (Renault) French drivers?

Last time Renault was all French was in 1982 with Prost and Arnoux.

They came close in the1985 German GP.... they had two French drivers running, François Hesnault and Patrick Tambay, but they also ran Derek Warwick that day, so not all French. :wink:

(Hesnault was a 3rd Renault entry for that race... the last time any team ever entered a 3rd car. Not sure the official reason for Hesnault's entry, but I do know in that race he carried the very first onboard camera to be used in a race, and he was not eligible for points. )

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Schumacher, Giovinazzi named Ferrari F1 reserves

Gio might have just been given the flick by Alfa Romeo, and signed to compete in Formula E but it seems his alliance to Ferrari remain as he has been appointed as a designated reserve for Ferrari in 2022.

Schumacher has also been nominated as reserve for the 11 GP weekends that clash with FE that contractually Gio would be unable to fulfil. Mick could conceivably make his Ferrari debut in Formula 1 next year.....should Charles Leclerc or Carlos Sainz become unable to compete at one of those 11 events, Schumacher would switch from his usual post at Haas.

Of course recent seasons have seen Reserve drivers have a bigger role to play since the COVID-19 pandemic hit last year, with Kimi Raikkonen, Nikita Mazepin, Lewis Hamilton, Sergio Perez and Lance Stroll all missing at least one race due to the virus.

Gio is clearly the #1 reserve though, and as well as Ferrari, when his FE commitments dont clash with F1, he will double as reserve for both Ferrari powered teams, Alfa as well as Haas should they so require.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Great for Gio. He's not a world beater, but he certainly seems a nice guy, and he's close enough speed-wise.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Im sure Zhou wont be at Alfa for too long..... Being an Alpine Academy driver I believe that he will do his year (maybe 2) at Alfa to get his F1 experience up, and then, when Fernando hangs up his hat, slip into his vacated seat over at Alpine.. That will then free up a slot in F1 for the undoubtedly talented Sauber Academy driver Theo Pourchaire, who, at just 17 was never going to jump straight from a year in F2 to a full time F1 gig. He won the FIA F4 title, then was runner up in F3 the following year, jumping straight to F2 this year where he has performed well but not well enough to command a move.

Of course all that theory goes down the toilet if like Albon had to with his RBR deal on joining Williams, Zhou has to cut of his allegiance to Alpine to move to Sauber.....
Piastri first. He’s better than Theo. I think he’s going to amaze.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago Well, in all reality Giovinazzi had plenty of time to prove himself in F1. He had three full seasons, which is more that a lot of people get, 59 races. Made his debut in 2017 and was a reserve and test driver in 2017-2018. Then he had three full seasons as a driver. He has had his chance.

Is there anyone here who thinks he should be promoted to Ferrari, Red Bull or Mercedes?

I did watch Zhou in that Virtual GP season, where he made a couple of appearances and won the first race. I was impressed with him (I was more impressed with Le Clerc and Russell). He does have an F2 career of three seasons: 63 entries, 4 wins, 3 poles and 7 fastest laps. Currently running second in the championship this year. So certainly as strong of a pedigree as Stroll or Latifi or Mazepin.
The problem of giovinazzi is that other drivers have daddy buying the team to hand them a seat
He’s way better of stroll latifi and the likes of zhou tsunoda and that league of drivers. Alfa screwed some of his better race, i have no doubt giovi could be a perfect number 2 for leclerc in ferrari
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

caneparo wrote: 2 years ago
Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago Well, in all reality Giovinazzi had plenty of time to prove himself in F1. He had three full seasons, which is more that a lot of people get, 59 races. Made his debut in 2017 and was a reserve and test driver in 2017-2018. Then he had three full seasons as a driver. He has had his chance.

The problem of giovinazzi is that other drivers have daddy buying the team to hand them a seat
He’s way better of stroll latifi and the likes of zhou tsunoda and that league of drivers. Alfa screwed some of his better race, i have no doubt giovi could be a perfect number 2 for leclerc in ferrari
I would take Sainz over Gio any day though for a seat at Ferrari. Gio like Russell seems to be able to qualfiy better than he can race.

caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

The question is not subbing sainz with giovinazzi but a more general discussion about the value of the italian driver. I think it’s a scandal that ferrari wasn’t able to keep giovi in f1. Moreover he has been left to his own fate without any protection by continous screwjobs of the team. It’s really hard to show the real potential in this way.
My opinion is that after Ferrari got a 2 season long engine penalty (nobody knows the exact motivation yet) the whole Alfa project miserably busted. They expected much better results to get championship points an higher classification position but the engine was too much bad that the car could not even become a platform for eventual ferrari development. I would not be surprised if the team will introduce a new chinese car brand as title sponsor
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Aston Martin announces exit of F1 team principal Szafnauer

The rumour started at the end of the season he was looking elsewhere (Alpine I think was the rumour) but both sides denied the rumour. Szafnauer said he had "no intention" of leaving Aston Martin and that he had a long-term contract in place. Smoke / fire etc and it has turned out to be true, with Aston Martin announcing today that Szafnauer had (already) left his role as their team principal and CEO.
"Otmar Szafnauer has left the Company and his role at Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One Team will be managed within the leadership team until a replacement is appointed," the statement reads.

"We would like to thank him for the service provided to the team over the past 12 years and wish him well for the future as he will undoubtedly take on new challenges.

"Fortunately, we are led and managed by a strong group of individuals, and we are comfortable to take a little time to explore options before announcing a new team structure.

"The focus of the team is currently on preparing the most competitive car possible for the start of the 2022 season."
No word as yet where he was headed but I am sure that it was Alpine he was rumoured to be talking to.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Former McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh returns to F1 with Aston Martin

Former McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh is returning to Formula 1 in a new role with Aston Martin – and says he is “utterly convinced” the British outfit can become a title-winning team.

Whitmarsh became one of the biggest figures in the sport in his 25 years with McLaren, eventually succeeding Ron Dennis as Team Principal in 2008. He worked with many of the team’s most famous drivers and helped win World Championship titles with Ayrton Senna, Mika Hakkinen and Lewis Hamilton.
More at Formula1.com
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Didnt see that one coming..... makes me wonder whether Otmar left or was pushed.....

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Surprised to see a return for the Overseer of the downfall of Mclaren part 1.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.