2022 F1 Calendar *Miami under pressure -NIMBY protests threat*

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Vassago wrote: 2 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago
Vassago wrote: 2 years ago They have these overs but is there a fixed ammount of balls a bowler can throw? I know when the inning in baseball is over and Idk if these overs are somehow limited or can last forever?
Depends.

Are you talking test cricket, one day cricket, or Twenty-20? :rofl:
I have no idea what's the difference between that whatsoever :tongue:
Test cricket is the traditional 5 day game.... they have a minimum of 90 overs per day and players dress in white.
One day cricket is a game created for TV, and is 50 overs per side, sometimes played as Day/Night matches. They tend to be more about scoring runs as quickly as possible and batsmen being less cautious in their play. In those games teams wear coloured attire usually related to their country ie Aus is green and yellow / gold, England red / blue etc.
20-Twenty is where each side has 20 overs each to score as many runs as they can, and by nature is a 'slog fest' and scoring as many runs per over with little regard to caution. You will often see batsmen hit sixes (when the batsman hits it beyond the boundary line without it landing, I guess the cricket equivalent of a home run) or 'fours' where the ball crosses the boundary having landed inside the boundary first.

Oh and test cricket is alway International, ie England v Aus, whereas one day and Twenty-20 can be International but can also be County / State or even professional teams of contracted players like Football.

I guess when the chat about the 2022 F1 calendar resorts to 'how to play cricket' and it's vagaries chit-chat it says what we think of the F1 calendar loud and clear! :haha:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

I just read an article that the Miami Grand Prix is already sold out. I was planning on going. Obviously, didn't plan early enough.

https://wsau.com/2021/11/04/motor-racin ... a-sellout/

"275,000 people pre-registered to purchase tickets as compared to a planned capacity of around 80,000."

https://www.planetf1.com/news/miami-pre ... -sell-out/
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
I guess when the chat about the 2022 F1 calendar resorts to 'how to play cricket' and it's vagaries chit-chat it says what we think of the F1 calendar loud and clear! :haha:
Hey, didn't we talk about flamingos last year? :whistling: At least this time it's also a sport :haha:
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Government commitment assures 2022 Australian GP green light

Yay for good news re the AGP this year. It seems despite the ongoing crisis in pandemic land the event has been given the go ahead to happen pretty well regardless.

First up.... we have a completed track.

Albert Park resurfacing complete

Resurfacing work at Albert Park has been completed ahead of April’s Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix. A full-circuit resurface was the final part of a three-phase revamp of the track which first saw the widening of the pit lane by two metres.

Part two of the project was geometric work around the circuit with the elimination of the chicane on Lakeside Drive.

Originally scheduled to take place prior to the 2021 Australian Grand Prix, the event’s cancellation saw the resurfacing pushed back into more favourable weather.

The surface now has 10 weeks to cure before track action begins on the Melbourne circuit on April 7, with F1 cars on track from the following day.

For the track anoraks amongst us .......Expanded by two metres, organisers hope the FIA will raise the speed limit from 60km/h to 80km/h, in doing so reducing the time loss in taking to the lane and therefore making a two-stop strategy more appealing.

Changes to the circuit have also been done with a view to creating more overtaking opportunities.

Officially, the circuit has been reduced in number by two corners, with the re-labelled Turn 11 expected to be a hotspot for passing opportunities.

Here is the newly reprofiled turn 9

I will try and head over there in the next couple of days to take some up to date photos.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Government commitment assures 2022 Australian GP green light
Yay for good news re the AGP this year. It seems despite the ongoing crisis in pandemic land the event has been given the Govt green light to go ahead to happen pretty well regardless.

Dont you love how all the rules and restrictions of past years suddenly evaporate in election year! :sarcasm: :suspicious:

We have not of course had a GP here for two years now..... On both occasions, the event’s fate was tied to the COVID-19 pandemic.

For this year, however, there is a desire from both local government and the sport itself to see Australia return to the calendar. Plus the word is no restrictions other than the need to be fully vaxxed and boosted if eligible to attend.

After all the controversy over Novax Jokerdik there will be no exemptions granted regardless.
Protocols remain in place in an effort to limit the transmission of the virus with requirements for entering the country mandating full vaccination or a medical exemption.

Organisers of the Australian Grand Prix have confirmed it will not be applying for exemptions for individuals.

“There’s a set of agreed protocols and processes, but it’s all predicated on two simple provisos; that the contingent is 100 percent vaccinated, there will not be any exemptions sought or issued,”

“They will then come into the country and operate in a manner that Formula 1 has consistently operated in.”

More re the Government and F1 commitment to the event....
“We’ve got a commitment from the Victorian Government, that the event’s going ahead,” AGP Corp. boss Andrew Westacott said

“We’ve got a commitment from Formula 1 that they’re coming here for Round 3.

“We’re selling tickets like hotcakes, and we’re 80 days away from the event.

“So everything is happening, everything is getting ready, and can’t wait to host the best drivers in the world, in new cars, on a new track.”

While considerations regarding the virus remains, organisers are anticipating a ‘normal’ event.

That includes free movement around the precinct, with areas set up celebrating different regions of Victoria as part of an expanded off-track offering.

“But having said that, what I say is we’ll be anything but normal – we’re going to have all new cars on track, we’ve got new entertainment and music across the four days,” Westacott explained.

“There will be the need for everyone to be vigilant from a safety point of view and for attendees to be 100 percent vaxed, but we’re in a massive park, it’s predominantly outdoors, and we’ve been starved for major events.

“So we’re working with the government to make sure that everything we do allows us to have maximum crowds.”

With ticket sales forcing the addition of new grandstands, Westacott confirmed that the prospect of running this year’s grand prix behind closed doors has not even been considered.

“I am not even contemplating that,” he said when asked of the chance the race could be held behind closed doors amid another outbreak.

“I think Australia has moved on from that, and I think Victoria has moved on from that.

“You look at the current rates of cases and so on, I think we’re beyond doing those sorts of things behind closed doors.

“There’s been no evidence of any event throughout the country where you’re having to do that without crowds,” he added.

“That’s not even on our radar, it’s not even been discussed, whereas last year, and the year before, that was often the norm.

“That’s not even a consideration at the moment and I don’t think ever will be.”

In the unlikely event the grand prix is cancelled, or runs behind closed doors, fans would be assured of a full refund.

“They always have the safeguard that, because we’re a government underwritten event, that, if God forbid, anything did happen, they get their money back,” Westacott confirmed.
Supercars will again be part of the support programme along with Carrera Cup Australia, and S5000. Not sure what else at this stage.
I wont go to the race but I might go on Friday for practice, just to see the new cars. Race I will be at home in front of the big screen rather than out there with 100,000+ others. Unless someone invites me to a Corporate box, which hasnt happened for a few years so not hopeful on that score. :haha:

Lets just hope it doesnt all go tits up .... it seems the only likleyhood of that would be some huge outbreak within the F1 bubble and that hasnt happened yet. F1 seems to have it all under control.

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago I just read an article that the Miami Grand Prix is already sold out. I was planning on going. Obviously, didn't plan early enough.

https://wsau.com/2021/11/04/motor-racin ... a-sellout/

"275,000 people pre-registered to purchase tickets as compared to a planned capacity of around 80,000."

https://www.planetf1.com/news/miami-pre ... -sell-out/
I'd get your name down for 2023 if that is the case ;)
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Government commitment assures 2022 Australian GP green light
Yay for good news re the AGP this year. It seems despite the ongoing crisis in pandemic land the event has been given the Govt green light to go ahead to happen pretty well regardless.

Dont you love how all the rules and restrictions of past years suddenly evaporate in election year! :sarcasm: :suspicious:

We have not of course had a GP here for two years now..... On both occasions, the event’s fate was tied to the COVID-19 pandemic.

For this year, however, there is a desire from both local government and the sport itself to see Australia return to the calendar. Plus the word is no restrictions other than the need to be fully vaxxed and boosted if eligible to attend.

After all the controversy over Novax Jokerdik there will be no exemptions granted regardless.
Protocols remain in place in an effort to limit the transmission of the virus with requirements for entering the country mandating full vaccination or a medical exemption.

Organisers of the Australian Grand Prix have confirmed it will not be applying for exemptions for individuals.

“There’s a set of agreed protocols and processes, but it’s all predicated on two simple provisos; that the contingent is 100 percent vaccinated, there will not be any exemptions sought or issued,”

“They will then come into the country and operate in a manner that Formula 1 has consistently operated in.”

More re the Government and F1 commitment to the event....
“We’ve got a commitment from the Victorian Government, that the event’s going ahead,” AGP Corp. boss Andrew Westacott said

“We’ve got a commitment from Formula 1 that they’re coming here for Round 3.

“We’re selling tickets like hotcakes, and we’re 80 days away from the event.

“So everything is happening, everything is getting ready, and can’t wait to host the best drivers in the world, in new cars, on a new track.”

While considerations regarding the virus remains, organisers are anticipating a ‘normal’ event.

That includes free movement around the precinct, with areas set up celebrating different regions of Victoria as part of an expanded off-track offering.

“But having said that, what I say is we’ll be anything but normal – we’re going to have all new cars on track, we’ve got new entertainment and music across the four days,” Westacott explained.

“There will be the need for everyone to be vigilant from a safety point of view and for attendees to be 100 percent vaxed, but we’re in a massive park, it’s predominantly outdoors, and we’ve been starved for major events.

“So we’re working with the government to make sure that everything we do allows us to have maximum crowds.”

With ticket sales forcing the addition of new grandstands, Westacott confirmed that the prospect of running this year’s grand prix behind closed doors has not even been considered.

“I am not even contemplating that,” he said when asked of the chance the race could be held behind closed doors amid another outbreak.

“I think Australia has moved on from that, and I think Victoria has moved on from that.

“You look at the current rates of cases and so on, I think we’re beyond doing those sorts of things behind closed doors.

“There’s been no evidence of any event throughout the country where you’re having to do that without crowds,” he added.

“That’s not even on our radar, it’s not even been discussed, whereas last year, and the year before, that was often the norm.

“That’s not even a consideration at the moment and I don’t think ever will be.”

In the unlikely event the grand prix is cancelled, or runs behind closed doors, fans would be assured of a full refund.

“They always have the safeguard that, because we’re a government underwritten event, that, if God forbid, anything did happen, they get their money back,” Westacott confirmed.
Supercars will again be part of the support programme along with Carrera Cup Australia, and S5000. Not sure what else at this stage.
I wont go to the race but I might go on Friday for practice, just to see the new cars. Race I will be at home in front of the big screen rather than out there with 100,000+ others. Unless someone invites me to a Corporate box, which hasnt happened for a few years so not hopeful on that score. :haha:

Lets just hope it doesnt all go tits up .... it seems the only likleyhood of that would be some huge outbreak within the F1 bubble and that hasnt happened yet. F1 seems to have it all under control.
But what if F1 has any unvaccinated personnel? I'm just saying after the tennis debacle :whistling:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Star wrote: 2 years ago
But what if F1 has any unvaccinated personnel? I'm just saying after the tennis debacle :whistling:
They wont get in .... unless they have a PROPER medical exemption for medical reasons only.

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

I see that is in what you posted, @Everso Biggyballies I must have missed that bit. I know it sounds odd but I do sometimes truggle with reading the quoted stuff on that colour of background. I don't know why that is, I just do sometimes. I wouldn't mind but it's not all the time, just some days and apparently, today is one of them :(

Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

@Star are you aware that we have multiple skins available on the forum. They are in the user cp, maybe one works better for you then the default.
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Michkov wrote: 2 years ago @Star are you aware that we have multiple skins available on the forum. They are in the user cp, maybe one works better for you then the default.
Oddly enough, I did come across them only the other day when I was looking at something else. I tried them but found I did best with this one. Thanks for trying to help though, much appreciated :thumbsup: :happy:

Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Williams FW14
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Everest Sport

Post by Kai-Star »

Good to hear the Aus GP is finally going ahead this year. Not that I'll be going but at least I can watch it live.
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The Evolution of Albert Park: The Brand New F1® Australian Grand Prix Circuit - Episode 01

The first of a series of videos covering the changes to the track. There will be a total of 4 episodes , this the first, the rest to follow over the next 2 weeks or so..
The Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit has evolved.

Join us for Episode 1 of a four-part series detailing two years’ worth of work, and the changes that fans can expect to on-track as we speed towards the Formula 1® Heineken® Australian Grand Prix 2022.

Formula 1® has moved on in so many ways from when Melbourne hosted its first race in 1996, but for all that change, the Albert Park circuit has remained largely untouched.

The changes and modifications to the track are a milestone in the history of the Albert Park circuit and promise more speed and more overtaking opportunities and a better racing spectacle, cementing Albert Park as one of the premiere F1® circuits on the planet.

FUTURE EPISODES in the series:

Episode 2: What's Changed at Albert Park
31 January 2022
In Episode 2, we hit the circuit and take an in-depth look at the new track layout, what happens to lap times and why fans are poised to be the big winners with the changes to the new track.

Episode 3: Albert Park's New High Speed Straight
7 February 2022
In Episode 3, we finish our virtual lap of the circuit including the chicanes of turns 9 & 10, additional DRS zone and new viewing opportunities for fans. Episode 3 also details the benefits to the local community that go hand-in-hand with the work done on-track, and nearby park amenities.

Episode 4: The Completed Circuit & 2022
14 February 2022 (TBC)
Our final episode reveals the finishing touches to a world-class track and gives fans a first look at the brand-new Albert Park circuit while we get first impressions from some of the biggest names in F1®

#AusGP #F1 #Formula1

For more from the F1 Australian Grand Prix, visit: https://www.grandprix.com.au/

Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Anyone planning to attend any races this year at all, perhaps in the second half of the year? I might consider making a trip. Perhaps to a fairly accessible track without excessive hassle like Monza or Spielberg…
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Picci wrote: 2 years ago Anyone planning to attend any races this year at all, perhaps in the second half of the year? I might consider making a trip. Perhaps to a fairly accessible track without excessive hassle like Monza or Spielberg…
I'm going to Silverstone for the first time since 1988

Were thinking about spa but with a high functioning autistic daughter silverstone is a lot easier!
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Yes. That would be much better for her.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."