2022 F1 Calendar *Miami under pressure -NIMBY protests threat*

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Bottom post of the previous page:

So China is not happening in 2022 after all and it will be replaced by Imola then. The first of many changes no doubt.

Full story here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/58918353
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

At last today we also have a glimmer of hope re Australia going ahead, with the NSW gubbermint announcing that Sydney will reopen its International border without quarantine requirements (just a negative test and double vaxxed on 1st November this year. A bit of a two steps forward one step back though because after that they immediately added it was only for Aussies at this stage, with International (Furreners) arrivals being a Federal matter as opposed to the State.

However it is a light at the end of the tunnel that will hopefully be extended to all (X2 vaxxed and negative test) immigrants in time for the New Year, thus meaning teams wont have to quarantine on arrival, the stumbling block this year. Their schedules simply dont allow it. Already many of the venue Nations visited this year have double vax mandates in place..... hence why the medical car driver Alan van der Merwe is set to miss the final races of this season even if he recovers from his current bout of COVID-19. He has now had it twice but confirmed on social media last weekend that he has not been vaccinated against COVID for personal reasons and wont be. He said he knows it makes him unemployable but it is his choice. There are a number of the remaining rounds this year that have vax mandates that will preclude him from taking part.

Anyway it is the first sign of hope for this years Aussie race to actually go ahead.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

The 2022 Formula 1 calendar has finally been revealed, charting the championship’s course for the season as the brand-new breed of F1 cars prepare to make their debut. Here are five takeaways from the 2022 calendar announcement...

1. It's set to be the biggest F1 season ever

Its been approved by the World Motorsport Council and also by all of the teams, so subject to Covid, contracts, circuit approval, and other considerations this is it.....

The 2022 Formula 1 season is set to be the most bumper yet, with 23 races slated for the year – up from the 22 in 2021.

Date Grand Prix Venue

20 March Bahrain Sakhir

27 March Saudi Arabia Jeddah

10 April Australia Melbourne

24 April Emilia Romagna Imola*

8 May Miami Miami**

22 May Spain Barcelona*

29 May Monaco Monaco

12 June Azerbaijan Baku

19 June Canada Montreal

3 July United Kingdom Silverstone

10 July Austria Spielberg

24 July France Le Castellet

31 July Hungary Budapest

>>>>>Summer break<<<<<

28 August Belgium Spa

4 September Netherlands Zandvoort

11 September Italy Monza

25 September Russia Sochi

2 October Singapore Singapore*

9 October Japan Suzuka

23 October USA Austin*

30 October Mexico Mexico City

13 November Brazil Sao Paulo

20 November Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

* subject to contract
** subject to FIA circuit homologation

As you can see, those 23 will be bookended by a season opener in Bahrain – where the 2021 season also got under way – and a season finale at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, with the recently reworked Yas Marina Circuit bringing proceedings to a close.

In between will be a further 21 races taking place on five continents – including the first time F1 has raced three times in North America since 1984, thanks to the fact that…

2. There’ll be a new race in Miami

A new race is always exciting – and 2022 will witness Formula 1 returning to the state of Florida for the first time since 1959, as we prepare for the all-new Miami Grand Prix on May 6-8.

Taking place at the 5.41km Miami International Autodrome, situated in the Hard Rock Stadium complex in Miami Gardens, the new track will feature 19 corners and three straights, with cars set to reach a top speed of 320km/h on a circuit that’s been designed to encourage close racing – a subject very much on the collective mind of the sport in 2022, when F1 will see the introduction of a revolutionary new breed of cars with the very same intention.

And while the action is sure to be hot on the track, everyone’s just as excited at the prospect of visiting one of the USA’s most dynamic and culturally diverse cities, for what promises to be an unforgettable event.

3. We’ll finally be returning to some old favourites

The coronavirus pandemic’s arrival provided without doubt the greatest ever disruption to the Formula 1 calendar in the sport’s history, nixing the first half the 2020 season – while its effects are still being felt now.

Yes, there were positives to come out of that, with F1 exploring new territories, as well as revisiting some older ones. But it also denied us the opportunity to race at some beloved, tried and tested calendar staples.

The plan is for that situation to be redressed in 2022, with the likes of Suzuka, Montreal and Melbourne all back on the calendar, after all three events were forced to be cancelled in 2021. The drivers will be let loose at Suzuka for the first time since 2019
Having returned to the calendar this season for the first time since 1985, Zandvoort is back, while Imola returns too for what will be the third successive year of racing at the classic Italian track.

Sochi, meanwhile, will host its final Russian Grand Prix before the event moves to St Petersburg’s Igora Drive circuit for 2023.

One victim of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic is the Chinese Grand Prix, which won’t feature on the 2022 calendar – with plans for the Shanghai race to be reinstated in the future when conditions allow.

4. The Monaco weekend will be shortened to three days

One change on the 2022 calendar will be the shortening of the Monaco Grand Prix weekend from four days to three.

Friday at Monaco was traditionally a non-action day, with media duties taking place on Wednesday, Free Practice 1 and 2 run on Thursday, a break on Friday, then FP3 and qualifying on Saturday and the race on Sunday – a custom dictated by the tradition of Monaco’s market day being on Friday.

2022, however, will see the weekend compressed into the standard three days, in part to help with logistics for the teams, who should be able to arrive in Monaco a day later than usual.

5. The season will end in mid-November
And finally, one striking feature of the 2022 calendar is that, despite the 23 races, the racing is scheduled to start in mid-March and finish by mid-November.

The action will get under way in Bahrain on March 20 – a double header kicking off the season, with F1 then moving on to the Jeddah Corniche Circuit for what will be the second ever Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, after the event’s upcoming debut this December.

By November 20, the racing will all be over, meanwhile, with the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix bringing proceedings to a close.

It’s a tight schedule, and one which will feature two triple headers. But that has the added bonus of providing the teams and F1 personnel with a sizeable winter break ahead of the 2023 season.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... mUdCp.html

DownForce
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: JapanGT, F1
Favourite Racing Car: PorscheGT3 Cup / RSR
Favourite Driver: Takuma Sato
Favourite Circuit: Suzuka, Monaco, Fuji
Car(s) Currently Owned: Porsche GT3, AMGC63, AudiRS4,GT3cup

Post by DownForce »

A lot of Races, a lot to Watch - Looking forward !!!
Last edited by DownForce 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
║═╣║║║╠╗╔╣║║╚╬╗╔╣║╔╝
║╔╣╦║║║║║║╦╠╗║║║║║╚╗
╚╝╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═╩╩╩╩╩═╝

The Fastlane Awards 2022 -- ROOKIE of the YEAR
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Yeah the downside is a lot of Sprint races hinted at.... and the silly times they will be on at in my timezone for qualy. I would honestly
prefer fewer races.

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

I would prefer fewer races too like it used to be. That's a bit squashed in but we'll see how it goes.

As I've said before, you can have too much of a good thing and F1 is in danger of doing that to the point where it will turn people off rather than encourage them to watch.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Star wrote: 2 years ago I would prefer fewer races too like it used to be. That's a bit squashed in but we'll see how it goes.

As I've said before, you can have too much of a good thing and F1 is in danger of doing that to the point where it will turn people off rather than encourage them to watch.
Exactly.... How many Grand Prix per year does it take until the Grand becomes irrelevant.

There is a reason why they have World Cups every 4 years. and have only a handful of Grand Slams per year.

They are a drawcard. To me F1 is trying to take up too much of my prime time when I have other options. Or hopefully will have when our lockdown is unlocked.

Even in lockdown it has become too much already.
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

@Star Agree.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Star wrote: 2 years ago I would prefer fewer races too like it used to be. That's a bit squashed in but we'll see how it goes.

Exactly.... How many Grand Prix per year does it take until the Grand becomes irrelevant.

There is a reason why they have World Cups every 4 years. and have only a handful of Grand Slams per year.

They are a drawcard. To me F1 is trying to take up too much of my prime time when I have other options. Or hopefully will have when our lockdown is unlocked.

Even in lockdown it has become too much already.
Agreed, less really is more sometimes. If you have a treat then it's lovely, if you keep having said treat it stops being a treat and becomes something normal and it takes away from how special it once was.

Watching that many races is a big commitment, as someone who likes to complete things I feel pretty much compelled to watch a whole series and if they keep on adding in more and more I could easily get to a point where I just say 'sod it I can't be bothered' and don't watch any races!

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It seems we are not the only ones who fear too many races makes it less special.....

Vettel: Too many races could stop F1 being "special"

F1 risks losing valuable staff as well as stopping grands prix being ‘special’ events if the calendar continues expanding, warns Vettel.

Seb, who arrived in F1 in an era where there were fewer races but more tests, thinks there is a downside to the sport adding on more and more to the schedule.
“This is only my opinion, and it's not worth anything, but I think we should not have that many races,” said Vettel, in an interview.

“It’s for a number of reasons. I think one, maybe it's too many races for the people to watch. It's not special any more, if there's that many.

“And second, I feel for [the staff]. Us drivers, we are at the good side of things: we can arrive on a Wednesday night and leave if we find a flight etcetera on a Sunday night.

“But the team already has a lot more stress. They arrived Monday or Saturday the week before, they build the garage, prepare the cars, and then also they have to run the full week and then pack down, send everything back, and prepare back in the factory.

“For them, it's a job that you're busy all weekdays and nearly every weekend, so you have no time for yourself.

"And I think we are in a time where people are growing more and more conscious that they have a life too, and that the life doesn't belong to the employer.”
He has a point... the fact that when he started there was more testing is a valid issue. The teams all had separate teams for tests and races. Now it is all one team, the race team, and they are on the road with minimal breaks for much of the season with the exception of the mid season break which I see seems shorter now than previous years. You cannot feel anything but sorry for them. More and more for the workers F1 is becoming their total life more-so than a job or career.

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

See, I knew I was right to like Seb so much. He clearly thinks the same way we do :)

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Don't disagree at all.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Any tips on where is good to watch at Silverstone these days?

General admission still good? (wet weather clothing inclusive)

Last time I went I was just had a general ticket. Much preferred it to the grandstand
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Personally, I don't mind as more races to watch isn't a bad thing. Helps that my social calendar isn't exactly buzzing with activity on the weekends either.

However, I do feel for the crewmembers (except the drivers, overpaid crybabies who simply get on their jet after the race). It's got to be brutal on their mental wellbeing and family life to be on the road for pretty much an entire month sometimes.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Mr_Ferrari wrote: 2 years ago However, I do feel for the crewmembers (except the drivers, overpaid crybabies who simply get on their jet after the race). It's got to be brutal on their mental wellbeing and family life to be on the road for pretty much an entire month sometimes.
And with budget caps in place, I doubt they're getting extra money for the privilege.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Mr_Ferrari wrote: 2 years ago However, I do feel for the crewmembers (except the drivers, overpaid crybabies who simply get on their jet after the race).

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."