Qatar GP to replace cancelled Australian race

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Qatar GP to replace cancelled Australian race

Post by PTRACER »

Circuit would be Losail. Used for bikes and sportscars in the past, is it any good? @erwin greven @Andy
F1 has been exploring a number of options to bolster the second half of the season as the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic continues to impact a number of races.

The Japanese Grand Prix became the latest race to get cancelled last week, joining Canada, Singapore and Australia as events that have been formally scrapped.

F1 officials have been working to find a replacement for the Australian Grand Prix that was originally scheduled for 21 November, with the slot remaining 'TBA' on the current calendar.

But plans are now advancing for Qatar to fill the gap and host its first F1 grand prix in November, according to multiple sources, that would act as a boost to the schedule and hopes to fulfil the planned 23-race season.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

It's great for bikes but then most circuits are.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Your typical "modern soulless F1 race track"
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Looks like there are no spectators or grandstands anywhere else on the circuit. Main straight only. So they are just racing off in the dark on their own. Hmmmm....
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Quite normal for oil-rich nations though. Sheikhy baby and his harem are usually the only spectators.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

*yawns*
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

"Rights Out and Away We Go!"

F1 to go to Qatar.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Qatar officially replaces Australia. Timetable is still TBC. They are considering a night race.
Link to F1 Official article
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago "Rights Out and Away We Go!"

F1 to go to Qatar.
So they sign a 10 year deal, we get a race in 6 weeks time, but then nothing in 2022 because they are hosting the World Cup.... then back on again for 2023 > 2032.... on a track to be decided on but maybe a new one.
And this years race will be part of a triple header with Mexico and Brazil.

So Qatar gets to join Bahrain, Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia for a human rights "Sports-washing" extravaganza. Oh, I forgot about Russia.

F1 is becoming a joke. Well tbh I guess all of the ultra high profile sports are all as bad as each other. They will all bare their butt and forget about moral standards for a few quid. :aggro: :annoyed: :suspicious:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

XcraigX wrote: 2 years ago Qatar officially replaces Australia. Timetable is still TBC. They are considering a night race.
Link to F1 Official article
I wonder if the "W" Series are on the support card. :wink:

Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

It's also signed a deal to host a race from 2023. Ten year deal.

Would be a Doha Street race from then onwards
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago So Qatar gets to join Bahrain, Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia for a human rights "Sports-washing" extravaganza. Oh, I forgot about Russia.
and China.

But, I do wonder if hosting these races hurts or helps the situation in these countries in the long run? Dictatorships work better in isolation.
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

I gotta say, the existing circuit looks pretty bad for F1. It's not a car track, is what I'm getting from the layout.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Whenever you look at the Losail circuit in video games, it looks like the track is missing a lot of scenery. Actually, no. It really looks like that. It is a totally flat track in a flat piece of desert, with absolutely no scenery to look at. To think this will be on the calendar for 10 years is a scary thought.

And as John Warren says, with the final three races of the year ending in Losail > Jeddah > Abu Dhabi, where overtaking is likely to be impossible, it is likely the season will end on a very dull note with the championship decided in qualifying.

Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago Whenever you look at the Losail circuit in video games, it looks like the track is missing a lot of scenery. Actually, no. It really looks like that. It is a totally flat track in a flat piece of desert, with absolutely no scenery to look at. To think this will be on the calendar for 10 years is a scary thought.
In their defence Loosehell (or however its called / pronounced) is only on for one year.... it is Qatar that has a contract until 2032 (other than next year (2022) when they are hosting the World Cup Football). The idea is that from 2023 it will be on a new layout unknown.... it might be a street layout or it might be at a new purpose built venue to be decided.

I hate the idea of so many races in the Middle East.... I think we all do. But, putting on my 'think about it' hat I can see why. Im not saying I like the concept but I am hoping that my thoughts are the reason behind it. I will explain....

Anything to do with the Middle East is about money in terms of events. They have lots of money to throw around and none of the guarantors ever seem to go broke. (We wont mention "Sportswashing" in this argument as money has a habit of sweeping things under the carpet.) This isnt about ethics, just money. :wink:

OK 4 races in the middle East, all paying absolute premium top dollar rates and prepared to build things with fabbo facilities..... money in the bank for Liberty and comfortable for the teams.... comfortable facilities, and if Liberty make money so do the teams, right?

Next tier of venues are the Govt backed races ie Australia. A few of them give Liberty a bit of extra cash. Other more traditional venues that are not publicly funded ie Silverstone perhaps might benefit by getting a mates rates deal where perhaps Liberty break even. But the fans are happy and supportive. Win Win.

Liberty with their intent to run a race every other weekend with a couple of weeks off now realise the risks of Covid type scenarios decimating their calendar..... With all the surplus funding they have banked from all the Middle Eastern and Govt backed venues they (Liberty) are then in the position, as we have seen, to offer the likes of Imola and Mugello rounds at next to nothing costs just to help them (Liberty) meet the TV broadcast needs. They can afford to throw in a couple of events with no or minimal sanctioning fees to meet those needs.

Without the Middle Eastern events to subsidise other events Liberty would not be in a position to run the calendar without huge gaps. And us fans would not get to see some of the historically significant venues. Again win win.

A bit like in qualy where you might put in a banker lap early if conditions look dodgy ahead. You have something good in the bank guaranteed.... if you dont better it it doesnt matter. Nice if you can, but still ok if you dont. The Middle East events are just like a banker lap. Literally, only its money in the bank. They give Liberty a bit of flexibility to discount other venues. If it needs 4 Middle Eastern rounds to subsidise traditional venues we otherwisw would not see, Im good with it. Horses for courses and all that.

Maybe that is over simplifying it all..... it works for me in helping me accept a glut of Middle Eastern races. A sort of Robin Hood effect on the calendar.

Does that make sense to anyone else? Or am I pulling myself? :dunno: