Hamilton's Racecraft

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Bottom post of the previous page:

My criticism towards Max is, that he has a double standard towards not leaving room for others, while he expects to get room of the same ones.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago
XcraigX wrote: 2 years agoIt has nothing to do with Hamilton reacting too late between T1 and T2.
XcraigX wrote: 2 years agoIf anything he should have left less room at T1
You just argued against my point, then backed my point up. You'll get splinters in your ass if you keep sitting on the fence.
I'm not on the fence. I'm talking about corner entry and you appear to be talking about his trajectory between T1 and T2 (last I checked, they are different parts of the track). If you are talking about how Lewis entered into T1, then state that next time so we can at least be talking the same language.

Even then my point is not his reaction time ("reacting too late"), it's leaving room for the other car (playing too nice). Lewis could have put him on the grass prior to T1, but didn't. It's not because he was too slow to do it.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Ok, not too slow then, he wasn't aware enough of the risk.

Corner entry and trajectory from T1 and T2 are the same thing. If he misses the apex he pushes Verstappen wide - it's two pieces of the same puzzle.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I dont know if Lewis missed the T1 apex or not, but he did open the wheel on exit of T1 closing the door on Max who already had his leg in the doorway, rather than Lewis stay wide, which is, according to the stewards Lewis' prerogative. That forced Max onto the stupid sausage kerb that in turn bounced Max into Lewis. That Max expected Lewis not to close the door after what Max did to Lewis on Lap1 is either arrogance or stupidity. A case of get back what you give. If you are going to give it out, expect to cop it back yourself.

I still after all the discussion here am unchanged in my belief it was an avoidable racing incident between two boneheads.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

erwin greven wrote: 2 years ago My criticism towards Max is, that he has a double standard towards not leaving room for others, while he expects to get room of the same ones.
You know I'm not a Max fan, but to be fair that's practically every driver on the grid.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

I agree. Running up front and being that much faster than everyone else is basically running dead last in a Haas but you get points for your troubles. That said, Max isn't the sharpest tool in the shed either as he's more of a gung ho type of racer.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

You cannot lose what you've never had.
Hamilton is a waved by world champion from championship 1. End of.

He's never been top of any game but his advantage has been, dare I say, being the first black doing so. Nothing's better to advertise for, really. And Formula One did it to quite a high degree.
And he had the luck of being lifted into the right team after having been supported from the factory behind since day 1.
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Andy wrote: 2 years ago He's never been top of any game but his advantage has been, dare I say, being the first black doing so.
Really?

1. So in Hamilton's 2007 rookie year when he tied his teammate two-time world champion Fernando Alonso in 2007, it was because he was black? At that time, many people considered Alonso the best driver in F1, maybe even better than Michael Schumacher.
2. So when he beat world champion Jenson Button more often than not during the three seasons they were teammates, it was because he was black?
3. So when he beat future world champion Nico Rosberg more often than not during the four season they were teammates, it was because he was black? Keep in mind that Nico Rosberg beat his previous teammate, Michael Schumacher, more often than not during the three seasons they were teammates.

I can think of only one other F1 driver that had three different F1 champions as teammates (Prost: Lauda, Senna and Mansell).
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago

I can think of only one other F1 driver that had three different F1 champions as teammates (Prost: Lauda, Senna and Mansell).
Does that make Prost the only non coloured.....

.... ill get my coat. :whistling:

More to the point the best (multiple WDC) drivers per era always rise to the best cars of their time. Not rocket science really.... The best teams want (can afford to pay for) the best drivers.

Lewis / Merc, (Vettel / Red Bull,?) Schu/Ferrari, Senna a Prost / McLaren, Stewart / Tyrrell, etc

By the same token sometimes the best car can make a good driver seem great. :wink:

erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago By the same token sometimes the best car can make a good driver seem great. :wink:
Was Hector Rebaque better than Prost and Reutemann.

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

point taken.

The best car doesnt always make a driver look great. :wink:

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago
Andy wrote: 2 years ago He's never been top of any game but his advantage has been, dare I say, being the first black doing so.
Really?

1. So in Hamilton's 2007 rookie year when he tied his teammate two-time world champion Fernando Alonso in 2007, it was because he was black? At that time, many people considered Alonso the best driver in F1, maybe even better than Michael Schumacher.
2. So when he beat world champion Jenson Button more often than not during the three seasons they were teammates, it was because he was black?
3. So when he beat future world champion Nico Rosberg more often than not during the four season they were teammates, it was because he was black? Keep in mind that Nico Rosberg beat his previous teammate, Michael Schumacher, more often than not during the three seasons they were teammates.

Piquet: Lauda, Mansell, Schumacher
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Damon Hill: Prost 93, Senna, Mansell 94. Villeneuve became after Damon left Williams
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago I can think of only one other F1 driver that had three different F1 champions as teammates (Prost: Lauda, Senna and Mansell).
I think you meant beat three different champions as teammates? Because there were several drivers that just had different champs as teammates (and were beaten by them). Even then, the analogy falls flat because Lewis only tied Alonso in '07.

Which gives me an entirely different idea for a thread. How many drivers have beat a WDC team-mate over at least 1 season but never went on to win the WDC?
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

XcraigX wrote: 2 years ago
Which gives me an entirely different idea for a thread. How many drivers have beat a WDC team-mate over at least 1 season but never went on to win the WDC?
Nick Heidfeld beat JV in 2006 at BMW.... so much so that BMW gave JV the flick in favour of Kubica.
DC beat Kimi in 2002 at McLaren. He also beat Hakkinen in 2001
Irvine beat Schumacher in 1999 (Schu missed a few races through injury but the records show Irvine scored more oints in that year. :wink:
Regga beat Lauda at Ferrari in 1974.
Tambay equalled Hunt at McLaren in 1978

Those just off the to of my head.... there will be many more I am sure.

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

XcraigX wrote: 2 years ago
Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago I can think of only one other F1 driver that had three different F1 champions as teammates (Prost: Lauda, Senna and Mansell).
I think you meant beat three different champions as teammates? Because there were several drivers that just had different champs as teammates (and were beaten by them). Even then, the analogy falls flat because Lewis only tied Alonso in '07.

"Beat or tied" I guess.

But actually I didn't recall as I was writing that both Piquet and D. Hill had three world champions as teammates. Piquet did not tie or beat Lauda in 1979 (they were teammates for 14 races) and Piquet and Schumacher were only teammates for five races. D. Hill certainly did not tie or beat Prost or Senna and was only paired with Mansell for four races. He did beat Villeneuve in Villeneuve's rookie year in F1.

It still looks like Hamilton and Prost sort of have unique records.