2021 Not in Japan Fry's Turkish Delight GP

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Bottom post of the previous page:

A lot of people saying the Mercs are far superior all of a sudden.. If it's true, I haven't really seen it. True, they were faster in Turkey, but as we've seen, different tracks favour different teams.. and even despite their pace advantage, Lewis couldn't get past Sergio in the supposedly inferior Red Bull.

The Mercs have secured one pole in the last twelve races. If they're the fastest car, then they're really botching this season.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Mercedes were clearly faster at Silverstone, but didn't get the pole as Lewis botched his start.

They were clearly faster in Hungary, but lost the win because of the conditions and strategy error.

They were clearly faster at Monza, only Lewis' fuck up at the start of the sprint cost them, and Bottas penalty.

Clearly faster in Turkey, as evidenced by Bottas kicking ass.

Basically, if Bottas beats Max, we know the Merc is better. He has been.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago , Lewis couldn't get past Sergio in the supposedly inferior Red Bull.

The Mercs have secured one pole in the last twelve races. If they're the fastest car, then they're really botching this season.
More to the point I thought was that Tsunoda in the White Bull / BTeam, a rookie in every sense of the word, and with 15 races experience compared to Lewis's near 300 races managed to hold the 7xWDC and 100 race winner off and keep him behind for the best part of the first ten laps (I think 8 to b specific).

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago
Basically, if Bottas beats Max, we know the Merc is better. He has been.
Bottas was faster in Turkey and that's it. In weird conditions. It was the first time this year that Verstappen finished a race behind Bottas. That's not enough evidence for me.

If Bottas is faster in Austin then it will add fuel to this theory, and it may well happen.. but it feels too soon to say that they've pulled out a significant advantage for me.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Bottas beat him in sprint race at Monza, and would have done on Sunday if not for the engine penalty.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

So that's a hypothetical two defeats. Still not enough for me.. you may well be right but I'm not writing off Red Bull just yet, especially as they're hot favourites to win at Mexico.

Austin should be interesting though. That's a regular Lewis-drome..
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

It's all been great fun but I fear the rest of the season could be a Merc procession. They look better off on engines than RB

Let's not forget vettel and Ferrari matched them in the first half of seasons too.
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

White six wrote: 2 years ago It's all been great fun but I fear the rest of the season could be a Merc procession. They look better off on engines than RB

Let's not forget vettel and Ferrari matched them in the first half of seasons too.
Ah but wait.... Toto Wolff is not discounting he may need yet another engine due to the data collected and history of "strange noises" from within.
Strange noises from within? I myself have them today after a fairly lively curry last night! Situation normal.

Article can be found here: https://racingnews365.com/wolff-not-rul ... r-hamilton

I think he is just winding us up in an I doubt it but anything is possible downplay any advantage sort of thing.

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
White six wrote: 2 years ago It's all been great fun but I fear the rest of the season could be a Merc procession. They look better off on engines than RB

Ah but wait.... Toto Wolff is not discounting he may need yet another engine due to the data collected and history of "strange noises" from within.
Strange noises from within? I myself have them today after a fairly lively curry last night! Situation normal.

Article can be found here: https://racingnews365.com/wolff-not-rul ... r-hamilton

I think he is just winding us up in an I doubt it but anything is possible downplay any advantage sort of thing.
'these tyres are finished bono'
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago

My thoughts exactly :suspicious: