The 2021 Bumpus Grand Prix of Austin

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Bottom post of the previous page:

erwin greven wrote: 2 years ago
Star wrote: 2 years ago Max was lucky to get the DRS from Schumacher right near the end to keep Hamilton out of DRS range of him on the last lap. Maybe he owes Mick a beer for that one ;)
Mind you, Jos Verstappen and Michael Schumacher spend many times holidays together with their families. Both families are pretty good friends. :tongue:
I didn't know that. You learn something every day don't you?
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

It did not get much discussion from us here at the time, and I guess being the US we all expected it but the number of so called celebs poseurs and wannabees (some of which I have no idea who or what they are) on the grid was I thought over the top, and more to the point most of them had little or no interest of F1 or anything other than getting something to furnish their own social media with. It is not only the celebs, but more their over zealous bodyguards etc all thinking their shit doesnt stink.

We saw Brundle having a hard time with some on the grid, and he has since let it be known what he thinks of them. He also mentions that genuine celebs (ie Jagger, Lucas, Patrick Stewart etc ) are usually great and aware that their presence is as a trimming to the real event, and are happy to say nice things about F1. Others behave like entitled lumps of doo-doo. Who or WTF is Megan Three Stallion, other than a shapely embellishment. Actually embellishment is the wrong word. That implies something that their presence improves.

Megan whatever her name is. Never heard of her. Did she improve the show? It seems not. Dont invite next time.

As I said Martin was not impressed.....

Brundle calls for ‘manners and respect’ after F1 grid walk snub
Martin Brundle has called for “manners and respect” from celebrities attending Formula 1 events after a bizarre grid walk prior to the United States Grand Prix.

The racer-turned-commentator took to the grid in his usual style for the first time in two years at the Circuit of The Americas after COVID-19 restrictions on the media were eased.

However, on three occasions he was either refused an interview or bundled out of the way by celebrity minders.

Most notable was his attempted exchange with rapper Megan Thee Stallion which saw him first pushed away by a bodyguard before seemingly being told he can’t talk to the American musician.

He was also twice brushed aside by Serena Williams’ entourage, though in far less abrupt fashion.

“I have felt under pressure on the grid before but by people called Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Mansell, Piquet and so on,” Brundle wrote on Twitter.

“Bodyguards visiting the grid for the first time don’t bother me, everyone’s got a job to do, but they could maybe learn some manners and respect on our patch.”

Brundle’s grid walks have become famous for their ad-hoc nature, with the Brit meandering through the crowd without a plan or script.

It has seen a number of other broadcasters follow suit, with former Speed and NBC Sports pit-lane reporter Will Buxton admitting he’s received similar treatment on live television.

“The F1 grid walk is the highest live TV pressure I’ve ever experienced,” he shared in a series of Tweets.

“You’re briefed beforehand if celebs don’t want to be interviewed. With the others you can only try.

“I’ve been pied. We all have. Usually nicely and with an apology. The others, it only reflects badly on them.

“I had one experience where a celeb had agreed to an interview on the grid and when I asked him my first question he turned on his heels and walked off laughing with his costar.

“I just stared down the camera and said ‘wow’.

“Had some amazing doorstep interviews on the grid,” he added.

“Mick Jagger was lovely. Katy Perry couldn’t have been sweeter. Patrick Stewart, Michael Douglas, Tom Brady, [Lindsey] Vonn all brilliant.

“IceT once proudly told the viewers ‘this front wing costs more than your mother f##kin house’.”
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/10/26/br ... walk-snub/

Im with Martin I must admit I accept the celebs as something that brings a wider audience to F1, which in turn might result in better coverage for me, but they need to know their place and role. It is not about them whatever their self entitled attitudes might have them think. They are not the main event, but part of the support acts, and should behave with that in mind.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago
White six wrote: 2 years ago
Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago DRS really shouldn't apply when you're passing a backmarker. If Lewis had got DRS at that moment he could have undeservedly won the race due to a technicality. They need to fix that.
Hammy did get drs then from max (main straight behind schumi and max)

But why would you not get drs from a backmarker anyway? It's meant to help you pass them
Because they're meant to let you pass. You shouldn't need DRS. If two competing drivers come across a back marker, one could get all the turbulent air and the other could get drs. It could decide the race.

Also I don't think Lewis got DRS on the pit straight on the final lap, just Max..?
I watched again, and yes you're right. I assumed hammy had got it as they'd concertinered up
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago It did not get much discussion from us here at the time, and I guess being the US we all expected it but the number of so called celebs poseurs and wannabees (some of which I have no idea who or what they are) on the grid was I thought over the top, and more to the point most of them had little or no interest of F1 or anything other than getting something to furnish their own social media with. It is not only the celebs, but more their over zealous bodyguards etc all thinking their shit doesnt stink.

We saw Brundle having a hard time with some on the grid, and he has since let it be known what he thinks of them. He also mentions that genuine celebs (ie Jagger, Lucas, Patrick Stewart etc ) are usually great and aware that their presence is as a trimming to the real event, and are happy to say nice things about F1. Others behave like entitled lumps of doo-doo. Who or WTF is Megan Three Stallion, other than a shapely embellishment. Actually embellishment is the wrong word. That implies something that their presence improves.

Megan whatever her name is. Never heard of her. Did she improve the show? It seems not. Dont invite next time.

As I said Martin was not impressed.....

Brundle calls for ‘manners and respect’ after F1 grid walk snub
Martin Brundle has called for “manners and respect” from celebrities attending Formula 1 events after a bizarre grid walk prior to the United States Grand Prix.

The racer-turned-commentator took to the grid in his usual style for the first time in two years at the Circuit of The Americas after COVID-19 restrictions on the media were eased.

However, on three occasions he was either refused an interview or bundled out of the way by celebrity minders.

Most notable was his attempted exchange with rapper Megan Thee Stallion which saw him first pushed away by a bodyguard before seemingly being told he can’t talk to the American musician.

He was also twice brushed aside by Serena Williams’ entourage, though in far less abrupt fashion.

“I have felt under pressure on the grid before but by people called Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Mansell, Piquet and so on,” Brundle wrote on Twitter.

“Bodyguards visiting the grid for the first time don’t bother me, everyone’s got a job to do, but they could maybe learn some manners and respect on our patch.”

Brundle’s grid walks have become famous for their ad-hoc nature, with the Brit meandering through the crowd without a plan or script.

It has seen a number of other broadcasters follow suit, with former Speed and NBC Sports pit-lane reporter Will Buxton admitting he’s received similar treatment on live television.

“The F1 grid walk is the highest live TV pressure I’ve ever experienced,” he shared in a series of Tweets.

“You’re briefed beforehand if celebs don’t want to be interviewed. With the others you can only try.

“I’ve been pied. We all have. Usually nicely and with an apology. The others, it only reflects badly on them.

“I had one experience where a celeb had agreed to an interview on the grid and when I asked him my first question he turned on his heels and walked off laughing with his costar.

“I just stared down the camera and said ‘wow’.

“Had some amazing doorstep interviews on the grid,” he added.

“Mick Jagger was lovely. Katy Perry couldn’t have been sweeter. Patrick Stewart, Michael Douglas, Tom Brady, [Lindsey] Vonn all brilliant.

“IceT once proudly told the viewers ‘this front wing costs more than your mother f##kin house’.”
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/10/26/br ... walk-snub/

Im with Martin I must admit I accept the celebs as something that brings a wider audience to F1, which in turn might result in better coverage for me, but they need to know their place and role. It is not about them whatever their self entitled attitudes might have them think. They are not the main event, but part of the support acts, and should behave with that in mind.
Boo hoo tbh. He's an annoying British pest, mostly harmless and can be ignored. Much as he was as a driver. ;)
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

I dislike Megan Thee Stallion and her clone Nicki Minaj. They're both vulgar excuses for feminism.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago I dislike Megan Thee Stallion and her clone Nicki Minaj. They're both vulgar excuses for feminism.
I didn't have you down as a big fan :haha:
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

I used to love Martin Brundle's grid walks, that is one of the things I miss most about my F1 experience since he went to Sky to be honest. He is just a seriously nice guy in real life too, well, according to someone I know who also knows him.

The celebrities use the F1 grid to get themselves some coverage and they should respect the 'rules' of the grid. If they knew anything about how to behave and F1, they'd know that Martin stopping them for a chat is a positive thing. There's no need to be rude to the guy, a polite 'no thanks' would do just as well if they don't want to talk to him. And why do they need minders on an F1 grid anyway?

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Star wrote: 2 years ago And why do they need minders on an F1 grid anyway?
To be protected from Martin? :dunno:

Its America.... the minders have minders there!

XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Please note it was the body guards being rude to Martin, not the celebs.

I've seen a ton of comments blaming them, but most likely they didnt want to talk because they don't know anything about the sport. They are only there "to be seen" and that's been going on since at least the 60s.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

One thing that was not mentioned during or after the race was the way that Sainz, who was deemed to have passed Norris (and Danny Ric) unfairly and by exceeding track limits. He was ordered a few laps later to give the position back to Lando by race control (Danny Ric had already repassed Sainz).

Carlos was very clever in the manner he gave back the place, waiting until just before the DRS detection zone to do it. Thus he let Lando pass him, but was then easily able to almost immediately repass Lando with the use of DRS. Not sure whether Carlos worked that one out himself or whether Ferrari told him where to give the place back, but it drew comment from McLaren Principal, Seidl, who rather than complain about it referred to it in a 'hats off' manner, as being very clever and totally within the rules as they are written.

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Obviously the more celebrities you have on the grid the better. It broadens the interest and maybe the base of F1 (beyond 70-year olds who can buy a Rolex). Right now viewership of F1 races in the U.S. is up like 50% this year to levels not previously seen.

Anyhow MTS was perfectly polite. it was an awkward set of questions. On the other hand, they may want to limit or ban entourages and body guards.

On another note, while there are a lot of Martin Brundle fans out there, I really don’t think he does a great job with his grid walks. Will Buxton was better. I think they should probably look at replacing Brundle, with either Buxton, or if they could get him, Jenson Button.
Last edited by Ruslan 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

I can't watch Brundle's grid walks for the same reason that I can't watch the office. Too real. Too awkward.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago Obviously the more celebrities you have on the grid the better. It broadens the interest and maybe the base of F1 (beyond 70-year olds who can buy a Rolex). Right now viewership of F1 races in the U.S. is up like 50% this year to levels not previously seen.

Anyhow MTS was perfectly polite. it was a backward set of questions. On the other hand, they may want to limit or ban entourages and body guards.

On another note, while there are a lot of Martin Brundle fans out there, I really don’t think he does a great job with his grid walks. Will Buxton was better. I think they should probably look at replacing Brundle, with either Buxton, or if they could get him, Jenson Button.
The two who seem to be getting flak are black women. We've decided now that black men are acceptable, but we have to draw the line somewhere :whistling:
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago Obviously the more celebrities you have on the grid the better. It broadens the interest and maybe the base of F1 (beyond 70-year olds who can buy a Rolex). Right now viewership of F1 races in the U.S. is up like 50% this year to levels not previously seen.

Anyhow MTS was perfectly polite. it was a backward set of questions. On the other hand, they may want to limit or ban entourages and body guards.

The two who seem to be getting flak are black women. We've decided now that black men are acceptable, but we have to draw the line somewhere :whistling:
Well, the person who shut down Martin Brundle was a white guy with bleached blond hair and chest tattoos. If you look at the video, he was standing behind two other people and pushed through them so as get between MTS and Martin Brundle.
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Just so you're aware, it's not about the colour of those involved, it's about how rude they were. I couldn't care less what the colour of their skin is, or their religion or their sexual preference or anything else come to that, being rude is being rude and it's unaccaptable whoever you are.

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

In a lot of ways, I don't blame them. They got told to go by their sponsors or PR person, so they go.

Then some British guy comes up to them with a camera in tow, no doubt wanting to talk about how much they know about F1 (which is exactly zero), and what brings them there (money, which they don't want to say).

But on the other hand, they're tools.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion