The 2021 Bumpus Grand Prix of Austin

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Just seen the race, I will admit I didn't watch a lot of of it for various reasons. I skimmed through the highlights but was happy to see Max hold on for the win, good tactics by Red Bull getting the undercut and holding position. Max was lucky to get the DRS from Schumacher right near the end to keep Hamilton out of DRS range of him on the last lap. Maybe he owes Mick a beer for that one ;)

Seb got a point, yay for that!!! :)
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Star wrote: 2 years ago Just seen the race, I will admit I didn't watch a lot of of it for various reasons. I skimmed through the highlights but was happy to see Max hold on for the win, good tactics by Red Bull getting the undercut and holding position. Max was lucky to get the DRS from Schumacher right near the end to keep Hamilton out of DRS range of him on the last lap. Maybe he owes Mick a beer for that one ;)

I don't think hammy was ever overtaking on the pit straight mind, so the schumi thing probably irrelevant in the end. What won it for max is the esses, pulled out a stunning 0.5 of a second on lap 57 (dunno if hammy made a mistake) but he did it again on lap 58, probably 0.3.

It was a great spectacle

Yes, nice to see seb back in form after a few shambolic weekends
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

White six wrote: 2 years ago
Star wrote: 2 years ago Just seen the race, I will admit I didn't watch a lot of of it for various reasons. I skimmed through the highlights but was happy to see Max hold on for the win, good tactics by Red Bull getting the undercut and holding position. Max was lucky to get the DRS from Schumacher right near the end to keep Hamilton out of DRS range of him on the last lap. Maybe he owes Mick a beer for that one ;)

I don't think hammy was ever overtaking on the pit straight mind, so the schumi thing probably irrelevant in the end. What won it for max is the esses, pulled out a stunning 0.5 of a second on lap 57 (dunno if hammy made a mistake) but he did it again on lap 58, probably 0.3.

It was a great spectacle

The race only had 56 laps.
:idunno:
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

XcraigX wrote: 2 years ago

It was a great spectacle

The race only had 56 laps.
:idunno:
Ok, if you read lap 55 and 56 your pants will remain dry
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Ok, if you read lap 55 and 56 your pants will remain dry
Well at least the race got to have a "Happy Ending"

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Star wrote: 2 years ago Max was lucky to get the DRS from Schumacher right near the end to keep Hamilton out of DRS range of him on the last lap. Maybe he owes Mick a beer for that one ;)
Mind you, Jos Verstappen and Michael Schumacher spend many times holidays together with their families. Both families are pretty good friends. :tongue:
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Max also got plenty unlucky with the four back-markers before Schuey, so I'd say it's even ☺️
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago Max also got plenty unlucky with the four back-markers before Schuey, so I'd say it's even ☺️
A win definitely looked unlikely the way he struggled past them
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Yeah, I think the "He got lucky with DRS" is very unfair, considering he lost 3 seconds in 2 laps because of Kimi and Tsunoda, and then more on the last lap.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago Yeah, I think the "He got lucky with DRS" is very unfair, considering he lost 3 seconds in 2 laps because of Kimi and Tsunoda, and then more on the last lap.
Yep, it's nonsense. If he'd got past schumi and not had drs he'd have won too. And if he calculated to remain behind schumi (doubt it) that came off

But I'd love to see the vagaries of drs abandoned if cars can follow next season
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

DRS really shouldn't apply when you're passing a backmarker. If Lewis had got DRS at that moment he could have undeservedly won the race due to a technicality. They need to fix that.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago DRS really shouldn't apply when you're passing a backmarker. If Lewis had got DRS at that moment he could have undeservedly won the race due to a technicality. They need to fix that.
Hammy did get drs then from max (main straight behind schumi and max)

But why would you not get drs from a backmarker anyway? It's meant to help you pass them
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago Breaking news: guns.

Ok so

Mexico, Red Bull favourites apparently
Brazil, Hammy has won there twice, Merc only won once in last three races.. not exactly a stronghold
Qatar, who knows, but there's not much in the form of straights, so I guess Red Bulls disadvantage will be lessened..?
Saudi, who knows again, fast but wiggly.. shrug
Abu Dhabi has changed, five wins at the old layout for Hammy, but Max took it last year.

So.. who's favourite? I think at this point you'd have to say.. Max. Unless I've mis-read any of the above races? My knowledge of prior years isn't particularly good, I've had to wiki the results, but may be lacking context.

Edit: I haven't factored in that Merc were hurting from the lack of their sneaky suspension this weekend. Make of that what you will.
I am not sure the situation is settled. I gather Mercedes could not use their suspension trick because of the unusually bumpy track. They were supposed to have the advantage here, it appeared that the Red Bull was a little bit faster, the Mercedes were better on the tires. After 1 1/2 hours of racing they ended up separated by 1.3 seconds.

So, does Mercedes regain their advantage in the next five tracks? I gather this is the case. If so Mercedes should have the edge in three tracks and Red Bull in maybe in two.

So theoretically, this is at least 7+1 points for Hamilton (if Hamilton and Verstappen always finish 1-2). Verstappen is 12 points ahead. So…Mercedes kind of needs Bottas finish 2nd twice. This is assuming no collisions or mechanical problems in the next five races.

Anyhow, a real fight for the championship.
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago DRS really shouldn't apply when you're passing a backmarker. If Lewis had got DRS at that moment he could have undeservedly won the race due to a technicality. They need to fix that.
Hammy did get drs then from max (main straight behind schumi and max)

But why would you not get drs from a backmarker anyway? It's meant to help you pass them
Because they're meant to let you pass. You shouldn't need DRS. If two competing drivers come across a back marker, one could get all the turbulent air and the other could get drs. It could decide the race.

Also I don't think Lewis got DRS on the pit straight on the final lap, just Max..?
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

On the Mick Schumacher situation, I think I heard Christian Horner say in a post-race interview that Schumacher held Verstappen up for about a half second before giving him the DRS pass, which gave him a half-second advantage. So it was kind of a wash.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

erwin greven wrote: 2 years ago
Star wrote: 2 years ago Max was lucky to get the DRS from Schumacher right near the end to keep Hamilton out of DRS range of him on the last lap. Maybe he owes Mick a beer for that one ;)
Mind you, Jos Verstappen and Michael Schumacher spend many times holidays together with their families. Both families are pretty good friends. :tongue:
I didn't know that. You learn something every day don't you?
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!