The 2021 Mariachi Mexican Grand Prix

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Well it was an epic start by Max and I was more than happy to see him sail by the two Mercedes. Bottas? Well, what can you say? He had a terrible day and I'm really not sure he wants to see his team mate win another championship, I'm with him on that one ;)

Good drives by Gasly and Vettel and of course Perez did well to finish third, but my word if you got points for effort he'd have scored a few trying to get close to and by Hamilton. The crowd sure loved him and it's his first ever home podium, so good on him for that. Shame it was a 3rd and not a 2nd, but it's still a podium and he's doing everything Red Bull could ask of him.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Was almost like Merc forgot to plan the start?

They don't need mirrors (probably useless when there's a mass of cars behind anyway)

Only needed to tell Bottas to go a metre away from the left of the track assuming he didn't miss a gear. Hammy should have followed him.

But then hammy says he was defending the inside, which also seems like a mistake
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Star wrote: 2 years ago The crowd sure loved him and it's his first ever home podium, so good on him for that. Shame it was a 3rd and not a 2nd, but it's still a podium and he's doing everything Red Bull could ask of him.
Not only his first home podium, but the first time any Mexican driver had scored a home race podium. Also the first time a Mexican driver has led even a lap of a Mexican GP

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Anyone else think Perez should have responded to Hamilton's pit stop, when the latter was stuck behind Charles LeClerc?
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago Anyone else think Perez should have responded to Hamilton's pit stop, when the latter was stuck behind Charles LeClerc?
I was wondering about that too….but I think Hamilton was only vulnerable for a half lap and Perez was not near the pits at that time. So I think it was a possibility that was not really there.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Verstappen has a 19 point advantage. Assuming Hamilton and Verstappen end the race 1-2 and one of the remaining races favor Verstappen and three favor Hamilton, then Verstappen takes the championship with around 5 points to spare.

On the other hand, if Bottas becomes useful and finishes second at a few of those races, Hamilton takes it.

Championship may be decided by Bottas and Perez.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

For Max to win, Lewis needs to take an engine penalty.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago For Max to win, Lewis needs to take an engine penalty.
Or he needs to make another whoopsie

Also, why are we assuming Merc will have the advantage at all three middle Eastern races? Two we've never seen before and one has been changed.. it's a triple unknown!
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago
DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago For Max to win, Lewis needs to take an engine penalty.
Or he needs to make another whoopsie

Also, why are we assuming Merc will have the advantage at all three middle Eastern races? Two we've never seen before and one has been changed.. it's a triple unknown!
It is an assumption. In part driven by Christian Horner interviews.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Not really the best race, but great to see how Checo is finally finding his feet in the second Red Bull.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Star wrote: 2 years ago...and he's doing everything Red Bull could ask of him.
Everything? Well, maybe except asking him to take points off Hammy. Which is, tbh, pretty much all I'd be asking of him if I were RB.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
DownForce
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: JapanGT, F1
Favourite Racing Car: PorscheGT3 Cup / RSR
Favourite Driver: Takuma Sato
Favourite Circuit: Suzuka, Monaco, Fuji
Car(s) Currently Owned: Porsche GT3, AMGC63, AudiRS4,GT3cup

Post by DownForce »

Star wrote: 2 years ago F1 has long had a stop and start love affair with Mexico City but the Autrodromo Hermanos Circuit once again hosts this race. For those who don't already know, Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez was in part named after two brothers who tragically lost their lives there. Ricardo died shortly after the circuit opened in 1962 and sadly his brother also died there some nine years later in 1971. It is located in Magdalena Mixhuca Sports City which is in the south east of Mexico City and is a public park that has been used for other events such as a baseball, the park is also home to the Insomniacs Electric Festival or EDC Mexico, a popular music festival that attracts over 200,000 people.

The thin air in Mexico City can cause problems for both drivers and cars, the speed at which the cars can get up to on the main straight is 370 km/h or 230 mph in old money. It first appeared on the calendar in 1962 as a non championship race before becoming a championship race in 1963. It remained on the calendar until 1970, had a brief reinstatement from 1986 to 1992 before finally returning again in 2015 and has since run to date, apart from last year of course. During one of the breaks it was used for the Grand Prix Of Mexico Champ Car. Sebastien Bourdais the former Toro Rosso driver apparently won three of the six races held there from 2002 - 2007.

After some speculation in the years beforehand, this race returned to the calendar in 2015. It was probably helped by having two Mexican drivers at that time with Sergio 'Checo' Perez and Esteban Gutierrez. Whilst Gutierrez is now a mere memory Perez is still there and racing with Red Bull, doing very nicely too, he will no doubt be the busiest man on the grid this race weekend. Perez has never done that well at his home race, he's certainly not made an appearance on the podium so far. He did manage to finish 7th in 2019, the last time they raced there. Can he do better this year? Well in the Red Bull he stands more of a chance of doing so at least you would think.

Theories of Mongol settlement and conquest of South America are largely discredited now. Nevertheless, the author of a 19th century work 'ventures confidently to affirm that Peru, Mexico, and other countries in America were conquered by the Mongols, accompanied with elephants, in the thirteenth century.' So there :tongue:

Please note, this is an edited version race thread I used before on another site, but it seemed relevant enough still :happy:

Winners:

2020 N/A
2019 Lewis Hamilton
2018 Max Verstappen
2017 Max Verstappen
2016 Lewis Hamilton
2015 Nico Rosberg

2019 Pole and Podium result.

Pole sitter: Max Verstappen Red Bull

1st Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2nd Sebastian Vettel Ferrari
3rd Valterri Bottas Mercedes

Fastest lap: Charles Leclerc Ferrari

There will be 71 laps and the race starts at 1pm loca time.

The title race between Hamilton and Verstappen is hotting up and looking at past results, this could either way. I am hopeful that it will go Red Bull's way and I am sure Sergio Perez will be hoping to make a great impression at his home race.

So it's hello or Hola! to Mexico, slap on your sombrero, let your feet get tapping to the
rhythmn of the mariachi bands and let’s hope we all enjoy a good race!

Sorry for the late comment on this thread.
Well perfectly well said !! I enjoyed the race actually.
I have never met any woman who is as knowledgable and interested in F1 as you Star. And a really Nice person too !

Enjoy the coming Brazil F1 !!
║═╣║║║╠╗╔╣║║╚╬╗╔╣║╔╝
║╔╣╦║║║║║║╦╠╗║║║║║╚╗
╚╝╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═╩╩╩╩╩═╝

The Fastlane Awards 2022 -- ROOKIE of the YEAR
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Women are renowned for being know alls!
(@Star knows me well enough to know Im joking....there is a major difference between being knowledgeable and being a know-all!)
As I used to say of my (ex) wife - I always knew she was "Miss Right"..... I just didnt know her first name was "Always". :haha: :haha:
Edit: Just realised it is in my forum signature! :whistling:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Michael Ferner wrote: 2 years ago
Star wrote: 2 years ago...and he's doing everything Red Bull could ask of him.
Everything? Well, maybe except asking him to take points off Hammy. Which is, tbh, pretty much all I'd be asking of him if I were RB.
Oh me too :thumbsup:

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

DownForce wrote: 2 years ago
Star wrote: 2 years ago F1 has long had a stop and start love affair with Mexico City but the Autrodromo Hermanos Circuit once again hosts this race. For those who don't already know, Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez was in part named after two brothers who tragically lost their lives there. Ricardo died shortly after the circuit opened in 1962 and sadly his brother also died there some nine years later in 1971. It is located in Magdalena Mixhuca Sports City which is in the south east of Mexico City and is a public park that has been used for other events such as a baseball, the park is also home to the Insomniacs Electric Festival or EDC Mexico, a popular music festival that attracts over 200,000 people.

The thin air in Mexico City can cause problems for both drivers and cars, the speed at which the cars can get up to on the main straight is 370 km/h or 230 mph in old money. It first appeared on the calendar in 1962 as a non championship race before becoming a championship race in 1963. It remained on the calendar until 1970, had a brief reinstatement from 1986 to 1992 before finally returning again in 2015 and has since run to date, apart from last year of course. During one of the breaks it was used for the Grand Prix Of Mexico Champ Car. Sebastien Bourdais the former Toro Rosso driver apparently won three of the six races held there from 2002 - 2007.

After some speculation in the years beforehand, this race returned to the calendar in 2015. It was probably helped by having two Mexican drivers at that time with Sergio 'Checo' Perez and Esteban Gutierrez. Whilst Gutierrez is now a mere memory Perez is still there and racing with Red Bull, doing very nicely too, he will no doubt be the busiest man on the grid this race weekend. Perez has never done that well at his home race, he's certainly not made an appearance on the podium so far. He did manage to finish 7th in 2019, the last time they raced there. Can he do better this year? Well in the Red Bull he stands more of a chance of doing so at least you would think.

Theories of Mongol settlement and conquest of South America are largely discredited now. Nevertheless, the author of a 19th century work 'ventures confidently to affirm that Peru, Mexico, and other countries in America were conquered by the Mongols, accompanied with elephants, in the thirteenth century.' So there :tongue:

Please note, this is an edited version race thread I used before on another site, but it seemed relevant enough still :happy:

Winners:

2020 N/A
2019 Lewis Hamilton
2018 Max Verstappen
2017 Max Verstappen
2016 Lewis Hamilton
2015 Nico Rosberg

2019 Pole and Podium result.

Pole sitter: Max Verstappen Red Bull

1st Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2nd Sebastian Vettel Ferrari
3rd Valterri Bottas Mercedes

Fastest lap: Charles Leclerc Ferrari

There will be 71 laps and the race starts at 1pm loca time.

The title race between Hamilton and Verstappen is hotting up and looking at past results, this could either way. I am hopeful that it will go Red Bull's way and I am sure Sergio Perez will be hoping to make a great impression at his home race.

So it's hello or Hola! to Mexico, slap on your sombrero, let your feet get tapping to the
rhythmn of the mariachi bands and let’s hope we all enjoy a good race!

Sorry for the late comment on this thread.
Well perfectly well said !! I enjoyed the race actually.
I have never met any woman who is as knowledgable and interested in F1 as you Star. And a really Nice person too !

Enjoy the coming Brazil F1 !!
Thank you my sweet, what can I say? :blush: You are a good friend and lovely person too :mates:

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Women are renowned for being know alls!
(@Star knows me well enough to know Im joking....there is a major difference between being knowledgeable and being a know-all!)
As I used to say of my (ex) wife - I always knew she was "Miss Right"..... I just didnt know her first name was "Always". :haha: :haha:
Edit: Just realised it is in my forum signature! :whistling:
I'll believe you, thousands wouldn't ;) :tongue: