The 2021 Mariachi Mexican Grand Prix

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

The 2021 Mariachi Mexican Grand Prix

Post by Star »

F1 has long had a stop and start love affair with Mexico City but the Autrodromo Hermanos Circuit once again hosts this race. For those who don't already know, Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez was in part named after two brothers who tragically lost their lives there. Ricardo died shortly after the circuit opened in 1962 and sadly his brother also died there some nine years later in 1971. It is located in Magdalena Mixhuca Sports City which is in the south east of Mexico City and is a public park that has been used for other events such as a baseball, the park is also home to the Insomniacs Electric Festival or EDC Mexico, a popular music festival that attracts over 200,000 people.

The thin air in Mexico City can cause problems for both drivers and cars, the speed at which the cars can get up to on the main straight is 370 km/h or 230 mph in old money. It first appeared on the calendar in 1962 as a non championship race before becoming a championship race in 1963. It remained on the calendar until 1970, had a brief reinstatement from 1986 to 1992 before finally returning again in 2015 and has since run to date, apart from last year of course. During one of the breaks it was used for the Grand Prix Of Mexico Champ Car. Sebastien Bourdais the former Toro Rosso driver apparently won three of the six races held there from 2002 - 2007.

After some speculation in the years beforehand, this race returned to the calendar in 2015. It was probably helped by having two Mexican drivers at that time with Sergio 'Checo' Perez and Esteban Gutierrez. Whilst Gutierrez is now a mere memory Perez is still there and racing with Red Bull, doing very nicely too, he will no doubt be the busiest man on the grid this race weekend. Perez has never done that well at his home race, he's certainly not made an appearance on the podium so far. He did manage to finish 7th in 2019, the last time they raced there. Can he do better this year? Well in the Red Bull he stands more of a chance of doing so at least you would think.

Theories of Mongol settlement and conquest of South America are largely discredited now. Nevertheless, the author of a 19th century work 'ventures confidently to affirm that Peru, Mexico, and other countries in America were conquered by the Mongols, accompanied with elephants, in the thirteenth century.' So there :tongue:

Please note, this is an edited version race thread I used before on another site, but it seemed relevant enough still :happy:

Winners:

2020 N/A
2019 Lewis Hamilton
2018 Max Verstappen
2017 Max Verstappen
2016 Lewis Hamilton
2015 Nico Rosberg

2019 Pole and Podium result.

Pole sitter: Max Verstappen Red Bull

1st Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2nd Sebastian Vettel Ferrari
3rd Valterri Bottas Mercedes

Fastest lap: Charles Leclerc Ferrari

There will be 71 laps and the race starts at 1pm loca time.

The title race between Hamilton and Verstappen is hotting up and looking at past results, this could either way. I am hopeful that it will go Red Bull's way and I am sure Sergio Perez will be hoping to make a great impression at his home race.

So it's hello or Hola! to Mexico, slap on your sombrero, let your feet get tapping to the
rhythmn of the mariachi bands and let’s hope we all enjoy a good race!

Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

Star wrote: 2 years ago F1 has long had a stop and start love affair with Mexico City but the Autrodromo Hermanos Circuit once again hosts this race. For those who don't already know, Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez was in part named after two brothers who tragically lost their lives there. Ricardo died shortly after the circuit opened in 1962 and sadly his brother also died there some nine years later in 1971.
Thanks for opening the thread.
One quick correction though, Ricardo did have a fatal accident at that circuit, but Pedro was killed at the Norisring in Germany. The brothers were the shining lights of Mexican motor racing at the time and that led to the circuit being named in their honour. Jo Ramirez of McLaren fame worked with the brothers when he started out as a racing mechanic.
Here's a link to an old interview with Ramirez during his last season in F1. http://atlasf1.autosport.com/2001/usa/p ... goren.html
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

So you dont get lost in the football fields and baseball stadiums here is a track map for you

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

ReneLotus wrote: 2 years ago
Star wrote: 2 years ago F1 has long had a stop and start love affair with Mexico City but the Autrodromo Hermanos Circuit once again hosts this race. For those who don't already know, Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez was in part named after two brothers who tragically lost their lives there. Ricardo died shortly after the circuit opened in 1962 and sadly his brother also died there some nine years later in 1971.
Thanks for opening the thread.
One quick correction though, Ricardo did have a fatal accident at that circuit, but Pedro was killed at the Norisring in Germany. The brothers were the shining lights of Mexican motor racing at the time and that led to the circuit being named in their honour. Jo Ramirez of McLaren fame worked with the brothers when he started out as a racing mechanic.
Here's a link to an old interview with Ramirez during his last season in F1. http://atlasf1.autosport.com/2001/usa/p ... goren.html
Thanks for the correction, sorry I got it wrong :blush:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

It will be hard for me to watch this, being on at 4am on a Monday. I did it for the US GP and I felt ill all day.

This season is really too long and I want it to be over now.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago It will be hard for me to watch this, being on at 4am on a Monday. I did it for the US GP and I felt ill all day.

This season is really too long and I want it to be over now.
I certainly wont be staying up for P1 at 4:00am for me, or seeing P2 at 8:00am as I am going to Sandown for the day tomorrow and need to get some sleep. Where we are allowed to watch with all the restrictions in placeis basically members can watch at a bank on Dandenong Road which is a fair hike from everywhere. No access to pits or paddock and no facilities. Life in Victoria without restrictions. Freedom Friday last week was when we passed 80% double vaxxed and we still cant go and watch a motor race. Yet they allowed 10,000 people go to a bloody horse race a few days ago. Go figure.
[/rant]
Anyway no practice reports rom me this weekend. My apologies. Talking of which....

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

FP1: Bottas and Hamilton over Verstappen and Perez. This is at one of the two remaining tracks that are supposed to favor Red Bull. Not much of an advantage through (1:18.341 to 1:18.417 to 1:18.464 to 1:18.610). On the other hand, the Mercedes also led FP1 at Austin.

FP2 is being shown here at the convenient time of 5 PM. May actually walk the dogs early and watch it.

Friday Practice Session 1
POS DRIVER NATIONALITY ENTRANT TIME
1. Valtteri Bottas Finland Mercedes 1:18.341
2. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes 1:18.417
3. Max Verstappen Netherlands Red Bull Racing Honda 1:18.464
4. Sergio Perez Mexico Red Bull Racing Honda 1:18.610
5. Pierre Gasly France AlphaTauri-Honda 1:18.985
6. Carlos Sainz Spain Ferrari 1:19.463
7. Fernando Alonso Spain Alpine-Renault 1:19.656
8. Charles Leclerc Monaco Ferrari 1:19.667
9. Esteban Ocon France Alpine-Renault 1:19.759
10. Sebastian Vettel Germany Aston Martin-Mercedes 1:19.858
11. Yuki Tsunoda Japan AlphaTauri-Honda 1:20.011
12. Kimi Raikkonen Finland Alfa Romeo-Ferrari 1:20.026
13. Lance Stroll Canada Aston Martin-Mercedes 1:20.030
14. Daniel Ricciardo Australia McLaren-Mercedes 1:20.273
15. Lando Norris Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1:20.301
16. Antonio Giovinazzi Italy Alfa Romeo-Ferrari 1:20.344
17. George Russell Britain Williams-Mercedes 1:20.517
18. Nicholas Latifi Canada Williams-Mercedes 1:21.580
19. Mick Schumacher Germany Haas-Ferrari 1:22.144
20. Nikita Mazepin Russia Haas-Ferrari 1:22.819
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Just watching the end of P2 before I head off to Sandown, and under 10 minutes to go and Max is half a second clear of the Mercs and Sergio, but interestingly a full second faster than FP1.
Be interesting to see if Merc throw another fast run in and have something up their sleeve. Bottas is just on an outlap

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I wonder how much effect the altitude is having in car setup. We know that due to the this air they all run Monaco levels of downforce, but that in return robs cooling air for the engine with cooling air at a premium as well. The more airflow they divert for downforce is at the expense of air flow for cooling, and the more cooling ducting they have for the engine is at the expense of downforce.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

FP2

Verstappen tops FP2
Mercedes looked strong in FP1, but in the afternoon session it was all about Max, with him winding up over four tenths clear of the field. Sergio was 4th but right on the Merc pace. Behind those two teams was daylight, with Sainz the best of the rest another half a second back. McLaren seem a long way off of their 'p3 in the WCC' challengers Ferrari

George Russell failed to set a time.... gearbox issues it seems. Maybe a penalty in store for George.

POS DRIVERGAP TYRE TYRES USED
1 Max VERSTAPPEN1:17.301 5
2 Valtteri BOTTAS+0.424 4
3 Lewis HAMILTON+0.509 5
4 Sergio PEREZ+0.570 4
5 Carlos SAINZ+1.017 7
6 Pierre GASLY+1.128 4
7 Charles LECLERC+1.304 5
8 Yuki TSUNODA+1.343 5
9 Sebastian VETTEL+1.380 4
10 Fernando ALONSO+1.431 3
11 Kimi RÄIKKÖNEN+1.540 4
12 Lando NORRIS+1.678 6
13 Antonio GIOVINAZZI+1.926 4
14 Esteban OCON+2.130 4
15 Daniel RICCIARDO+2.220 1
16 Mick SCHUMACHER+2.319 4
17 Lance STROLL+2.429 3
18 Nicholas LATIFI+3.519 2
19 Nikita MAZEPIN+4.280 4
20 George RUSSELL- - 1

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I see Horner is not putting the thought of team orders out of the window and the threat is real.... if Sergio in his home GP happens to be leading Max it seems he will be asked to move over for Max to maximise his points. No Mexican has ever scored a home podium let alone a win.

As Horner said, it is a team sport and he has to maximise the team chances in both drivers and the WCC..... with Max and Sergio 1-2 the WCC oints are the same regardless of who is ahead obviously, but Max will get the nod for the win over Sergio to boost his WDC.

I hope if that order does get made, even if it is just around 3rd and 4th and ends u with ordering Sergio in effect either off the top step or completely off the podium I can see 100,000+ plus passionate Mexicans lynching him. If Horner does have to make that call he needs to be at the airport already beating his exit. If he wants to live to see another GP!

Of course Sergio has to be ahead of Max for it to become an issue......

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Motorsport is a team sport. And even when i love to see Sergio win his home race, if there is ONE chance to beat Lewis, than it is this year.

Imagine Sergio winning Mexico and Max second. And after Abu Dhabi Lewis wins with one point ahead. THAT WOULD BE AN EMBARRASSMENT.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Just watching the end of P2 before I head off to Sandown, and under 10 minutes to go and Max is half a second clear of the Mercs and Sergio, but interestingly a full second faster than FP1.
Be interesting to see if Merc throw another fast run in and have something up their sleeve. Bottas is just on an outlap
Yea. I watched FP2. Max clearly has the car nicely set up and was bouncing over the corners with no bounce. Mercedes was struggling with multiple issues. They weren't bad, but clearly not on pace.

We shall see what FP3 and qualifying bring, but right now, Max seems to have the car zoned in, and Lewis, Bottas and Perez do not. Not only is Max 4/10ths ahead of the Mercedes, but he is 6/10ths ahead of his teammate. Not sure how that happens.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago I wonder how much effect the altitude is having in car setup. We know that due to the this air they all run Monaco levels of downforce, but that in return robs cooling air for the engine with cooling air at a premium as well. The more airflow they divert for downforce is at the expense of air flow for cooling, and the more cooling ducting they have for the engine is at the expense of downforce.
It does have a big effect:
* Despite the high altitude, the Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez is one of the flattest tracks on the calendar, with the third smallest elevation change – 2.8m over the 4.304km lap. Only Melbourne and Sochi, both of which are only slightly above sea level, have less elevation change.
* The high altitude means that the ambient pressure is the lowest of the season by far, around 780mb. Oxygen levels at this altitude are 78% of what they are at sea level and this reduction in air density has an impact on the Formula One cars.
* The Power Unit is the most affected by the low atmospheric pressure. A normally-aspirated engine would suffer a significant drop in power (around 20%). A turbocharged engine can make up for this but the turbo has to work much harder than in normal conditions to achieve it, which increases temperatures.
* The thin air also means that it is less effective to cool the car, so the Power Unit and brakes run hotter. Bodywork with increased cooling is required to address this.
* The thin air and increased cooling have two consequences on the aerodynamics of the car: less downforce and less drag. We run a rear wing equivalent to Monaco, but despite this, the actual downforce on the car is closer to the levels experienced in Monza.
Because of these factors, Mexico sees some of the highest straight-line speeds of the season with cars reaching 370km/h in a tow.
https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaSite ... d=44726064
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Just watching the end of P2 before I head off to Sandown, and under 10 minutes to go and Max is half a second clear of the Mercs and Sergio, but interestingly a full second faster than FP1.
Yea. I watched FP2. Max clearly has the car nicely set up and was bouncing over the corners with no bounce. Mercedes was struggling with multiple issues. They weren't bad, but clearly not on pace.

We shall see what FP3 and qualifying bring, but right now, Max seems to have the car zoned in, and Lewis, Bottas and Perez do not. Not only is Max 4/10ths ahead of the Mercedes, but he is 6/10ths ahead of his teammate. Not sure how that happens.
Yeah, I can honestly say that Max looks set for the championship now and I'm totally stoked for that.

Fingers crossed there are no major mechanical issues for either driver and it is a straight fight.