2021 Catarrh Grand Prix

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Bottom post of the previous page:

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago No, the key is Lewis was lucky and Max wasn't. It's not about Red Bull failing to take advantage.
There's been plenty unlucky runners up. Most have also won titles and Max would too. Personally I wouldn't sweat about it, Hammy has had a great season if he wins or loses
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

The plot thickens..... experts in the field are suggesting that Red Bull has actually got slower over the last couple of GP's, and their performance advantage over others (apart from Mercedes) has dropped. A t the same time Mercedes % advantage has increased over the past few races (although it's margin dropped marginally at Qatar.

There is talk of flexing wing plates, even flexing mountings allowing the entire wing to tilt back, ie offer a flatter less draggy profile.

There is also some thought that the way Merc uses its tyres to Red Bull may be contributing to these trends. Again going back to the low v high rake scenario, traditionally the Merc has trouble with its rears whereas RB have a more understeery car affecting the fronts.

Anyway this video explains all the variants and scenarios quite well. I found it quite interesting anyway and thought others might also.

Unfortunately just under a minute in, after the tease of whats to come, we have a little sponsor's break but you can skip through that. (40 secs worth from near 50 seconds in)

What they dont really go into much depth about are the engines. Are Mercedes benefitting from fresher engines (that might explain why in Qatar they advantage over the field had shrunk) Lets not forget that RB have not taken new engines for some time, although we dont know the 'strength' of their pool. Is that contributing to their alleged drop in performance over the last couple of races? Have the engines lost more of their edge? The video doesnt actually mention that option.....

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago The plot thickens..... experts in the field are suggesting that Red Bull has actually got slower over the last couple of GP's, and their performance advantage over others (apart from Mercedes) has dropped. A t the same time Mercedes % advantage has increased over the past few races (although it's margin dropped marginally at Qatar.

There is talk of flexing wing plates, even flexing mountings allowing the entire wing to tilt back, ie offer a flatter less draggy profile.

There is also some thought that the way Merc uses its tyres to Red Bull may be contributing to these trends. Again going back to the low v high rake scenario, traditionally the Merc has trouble with its rears whereas RB have a more understeery car affecting the fronts.

Anyway this video explains all the variants and scenarios quite well. I found it quite interesting anyway and thought others might also.

Unfortunately just under a minute in, after the tease of whats to come, we have a little sponsor's break but you can skip through that. (40 secs worth from near 50 seconds in)

What they dont really go into much depth about are the engines. Are Mercedes benefitting from fresher engines (that might explain why in Qatar they advantage over the field had shrunk) Lets not forget that RB have not taken new engines for some time, although we dont know the 'strength' of their pool. Is that contributing to their alleged drop in performance over the last couple of races? Have the engines lost more of their edge? The video doesnt actually mention that option.....
And remember, they lost one engine at Silverstone.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

erwin greven wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago The plot thickens..... experts in the field are suggesting that Red Bull has actually got slower over the last couple of GP's, and their performance advantage over others (apart from Mercedes) has dropped. A t the same time Mercedes % advantage has increased over the past few races (although it's margin dropped marginally at Qatar.

And remember, they lost one engine at Silverstone.
Christian Horner said in an interview the week before last that the speed difference between a new Honda engine and an old Honda engine is only 0.1 seconds, while it is much greater for Mercedes (at the time of the interview Mercedes was trashing him at 0.4 seconds a lap with their new engine).
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

This is actually a significant discussion: https://www.grandprix.com/news/drivers- ... -move.html

To quote Sainz: "Can I push my opponent off the track? If so, how often? Only once? Multiple times? Are we given warnings?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago This is actually a significant discussion: https://www.grandprix.com/news/drivers- ... -move.html

To quote Sainz: "Can I push my opponent off the track? If so, how often? Only once? Multiple times? Are we given warnings?
This is going to involve crap and fans coming together at some stage.
Image :wink:

Im not surprised the drivers are confused. I am. The rules they worked on at Austria (Lando/Sergio) and Max with Lewis in Brazil are not from the same song sheet.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

They must at some point provide some clear rules:

1. Must you always leave at least a car width of space?
2. Is it only a penalty if someone crashes?....

I could go on. But, clearly it is actually unknown at the moment what is a legal blocking move in F1 and what is not. They probably need to clarify this sooner rather than later.

On the other hand, I am glad that Masi is not confused, but apparently 19 of the 20 drivers are, as is I: https://www.pitpass.com/71403/Masi-conf ... -confusion
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago This is actually a significant discussion: https://www.grandprix.com/news/drivers- ... -move.html

This is going to involve crap and fans coming together at some stage.
Image :wink:

Im not surprised the drivers are confused. I am. The rules they worked on at Austria (Lando/Sergio) and Max with Lewis in Brazil are not from the same song sheet.
And prior to that they happily let Max drive Charlie wide in Austria.
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago On the other hand, I am glad that Masi is not confused, but apparently 19 of the 20 drivers are, as is I: https://www.pitpass.com/71403/Masi-conf ... -confusion
Oh it couldn't be more clear :sarcasm:.

Here, let me explain it to you: Which way is the wind blowing today? Ahh, it's a penalty!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago
Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago On the other hand, I am glad that Masi is not confused, but apparently 19 of the 20 drivers are, as is I: https://www.pitpass.com/71403/Masi-conf ... -confusion
Oh it couldn't be more clear :sarcasm:.

Here, let me explain it to you: Which way is the wind blowing today? Ahh, it's a penalty!
To me this is one of the results of over-regulating everything.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records