2021 Saudi Arabian Jeddah Corniche Pasties GP

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Bottom post of the previous page:

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago
Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago I feel like I need some pessimism.. something's missing here..
Lewis is going to piss off into the distance, Bottas will probably get into second and we'll see the championship lead change hands for the last time this season.

(Pneumonia or not, I haven't and won't change)
I'll miss this 🤗
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Tyre Info for Jeddah.....

Comment from Pirelli's Saudi press preview

WHY WE’VE CHOSEN THE TYRES

For the first visit to the spectacular new Jeddah street circuit in Saudi Arabia, the 34th country to host a Formula 1 Grand Prix, Pirelli is bringing the three compounds in the middle of the range: the C2 as the P Zero White hard, C3 as the P Zero Yellow medium, and C4 as the P Zero Red soft: the most commonly-selected nomination this year.

Jeddah is the second consecutive brand new circuit this year after Qatar two weeks ago, although the two tracks are completely different in terms of stress on the tyres – with Qatar being one of the most demanding circuits on the calendar for lateral forces. Jeddah is even more of a novel experience as the track has only just been completed, with very little data to rely on.
Existing data and simulations from teams suggested the three middle compounds in the range are the best option for Jeddah and they should be well-suited to the demands of this very fast and flowing street race, run over 50 laps.

TRACK CHARACTERISTICS

The track has been designed by well-known circuit architect Hermann Tilke and is located in Jeddah’s Corniche area. This is the first proper street circuit since Baku in June.

This 6.174-kilometre track – which runs alongside the coast – is the longest street circuit on the calendar (the second-longest of the entire year, after Spa) and is also set to be one of the fastest too, with an average speed of over 250kph predicted in simulations. That’s only just behind Monza, well-known as the ‘Temple of Speed’.

One of the most demanding of the 27 corners is Turn 13: a left-hander featuring 12-degree banking that should place high g forces on the tyres. Jeddah has more corners than any other track on the calendar, which will keep the tyres working hard.
Many parts of the circuit are quite narrow and unforgiving, with the walls close to the side of the track. This could lead to a reasonably high safety car probability, affecting strategy.

Jeddah is a night race, like all the last three races of the season, with the grand prix getting underway at 20:30 local time. This means that the pattern of track temperature is different to a normal race, with temperatures dropping over the course of each session. FP1 and FP3 are held just before sunset, with only FP2 on Friday and qualifying on Saturday (both starting at 20:00) likely to be representative of the race.

Conditions are set to be warm but humid, with the track located right along the northern coast at Jeddah. As it's never been used before, drivers can expect a slippery and ‘green’ track at the start of the weekend. Formula 2 and a Porsche competition are running as support events, which will help track evolution.

MARIO ISOLA – HEAD OF F1 AND CAR RACING
"Jeddah is probably the biggest unknown we face all year, as with the track being completed very close to the race. As a result, we can only rely on simulations from F1 and the teams, along with other information we’ve collected, to come up with our nomination. This street circuit looks set to be quite different to anything else, and the high speeds with fast corners will obviously play a big part in the way that the tyres behave. Jeddah has more corners than any other track on the calendar, and one of them – Turn 13 – also has 12-degree banking, so there are plenty of different elements that will keep the tyres working hard.”

MIN. STARTING PRESSURES (slicks) EOS CAMBER LIMIT
PRESSURE 23.5 psi (front) | 20.5 psi (rear) -3.25° (front) | -2.00° (rear) CAMBER

https://press.pirelli.com/2021-saudi-ar ... --preview/

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

I don't know, the track looks wiggly with only one passing area (maybe three?). Sort of Montreal overdone. We will see how it actually works, but I am not sure this is a great track. I am not sure this is even a good Hermann Tilke track.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago As it's never been used before, drivers can expect a slippery and ‘green’ track at the start of the weekend. Formula 2 and a Porsche competition are running as support events, which will help track evolution.
I think this kind of works more against Red Bull than Mercedes.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago As it's never been used before, drivers can expect a slippery and ‘green’ track at the start of the weekend. Formula 2 and a Porsche competition are running as support events, which will help track evolution.
I think this kind of works more against Red Bull than Mercedes.
Don't see why, but I'm expecting hammy to absolutely piss this weekend and be hot fav going to the UAE
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Onboard Jeddah in the safety car....

I have to say it looks real narrow, but the camera is mounted on the roof of the SC and is clearly a wide angle lens. It might be deceptive from that angle. Anyway wont be long before we see the cars on track for the first time. A bit squiggly and one line only in most parts.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Pee 1 is underway

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Nice to see all the teams sporting the old original Frank Williams 'arrow' logo

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Martin reckons the circuit is like Silverstone but with walls. Its not doing much for me at the moment.
Half way through the first session and Max has done a 1:30 flat with Lewis half a second off that, but no one seems to be looking like they are pushing it. Max has not even used anything but hard rubber so far.

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Tyre Info for Jeddah.....

Comment from Pirelli's Saudi press preview

WHY WE’VE CHOSEN THE TYRES

For the first visit to the spectacular new Jeddah street circuit in Saudi Arabia, the 34th country to host a Formula 1 Grand Prix, Pirelli is bringing the three compounds in the middle of the range: the C2 as the P Zero White hard, C3 as the P Zero Yellow medium, and C4 as the P Zero Red soft: the most commonly-selected nomination this year.

Jeddah is the second consecutive brand new circuit this year after Qatar two weeks ago, although the two tracks are completely different in terms of stress on the tyres – with Qatar being one of the most demanding circuits on the calendar for lateral forces. Jeddah is even more of a novel experience as the track has only just been completed, with very little data to rely on.
Existing data and simulations from teams suggested the three middle compounds in the range are the best option for Jeddah and they should be well-suited to the demands of this very fast and flowing street race, run over 50 laps.

TRACK CHARACTERISTICS

The track has been designed by well-known circuit architect Hermann Tilke and is located in Jeddah’s Corniche area. This is the first proper street circuit since Baku in June.

This 6.174-kilometre track – which runs alongside the coast – is the longest street circuit on the calendar (the second-longest of the entire year, after Spa) and is also set to be one of the fastest too, with an average speed of over 250kph predicted in simulations. That’s only just behind Monza, well-known as the ‘Temple of Speed’.

One of the most demanding of the 27 corners is Turn 13: a left-hander featuring 12-degree banking that should place high g forces on the tyres. Jeddah has more corners than any other track on the calendar, which will keep the tyres working hard.
Many parts of the circuit are quite narrow and unforgiving, with the walls close to the side of the track. This could lead to a reasonably high safety car probability, affecting strategy.

Jeddah is a night race, like all the last three races of the season, with the grand prix getting underway at 20:30 local time. This means that the pattern of track temperature is different to a normal race, with temperatures dropping over the course of each session. FP1 and FP3 are held just before sunset, with only FP2 on Friday and qualifying on Saturday (both starting at 20:00) likely to be representative of the race.

Conditions are set to be warm but humid, with the track located right along the northern coast at Jeddah. As it's never been used before, drivers can expect a slippery and ‘green’ track at the start of the weekend. Formula 2 and a Porsche competition are running as support events, which will help track evolution.

MARIO ISOLA – HEAD OF F1 AND CAR RACING
"Jeddah is probably the biggest unknown we face all year, as with the track being completed very close to the race. As a result, we can only rely on simulations from F1 and the teams, along with other information we’ve collected, to come up with our nomination. This street circuit looks set to be quite different to anything else, and the high speeds with fast corners will obviously play a big part in the way that the tyres behave. Jeddah has more corners than any other track on the calendar, and one of them – Turn 13 – also has 12-degree banking, so there are plenty of different elements that will keep the tyres working hard.”

MIN. STARTING PRESSURES (slicks) EOS CAMBER LIMIT
PRESSURE 23.5 psi (front) | 20.5 psi (rear) -3.25° (front) | -2.00° (rear) CAMBER

https://press.pirelli.com/2021-saudi-ar ... --preview/
I thought I read somewhere that the track was designed by Carsten Tilke, Hermann's son.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Hmmmmm Max was heading the time sheets...... I must have nodded off because just woke up and see it was Lewis's Mercedes on top

Cant tell you anything other than the times and I fell asleep.

POS DRIVER GAP TYRE
1 Lewis HAMILTON1:29.786 4
2 Max VERSTAPPEN+0.056 5
3 Valtteri BOTTAS+0.223 4
4 Pierre GASLY+0.477 4
5 Antonio GIOVINAZZI+0.532 4
6 Carlos SAINZ+0.778 4
7 Charles LECLERC+0.814 5
8 Daniel RICCIARDO+0.822 4
9 Fernando ALONSO+1.056 3
10 Sebastian VETTEL+1.100 3
11 Sergio PEREZ+1.174 5
12 Esteban OCON+1.237 4
13 Lando NORRIS+1.243 4
14 Lance STROLL+1.258 3
15 Yuki TSUNODA+1.313 3
16 Kimi RÄIKKÖNEN+1.510 3
17 George RUSSELL+1.557 4
18 Mick SCHUMACHER+1.739 3
19 Nicholas LATIFI+2.035 5
20 Nikita MAZEPIN+3.678 3

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I didn't bother watching. I watched Hey Duggee with my daughter.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

It's a track where you can't afford to make mistakes given the lack of run off areas. How many safety cars do we expect this race? I'm guessing there will be at least one, probably more.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

There will be definitely one that will help Lewis back in contention. Or in any other way. How much luck this guy had in his career when it comes to safety cars.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Pee 2 is on now. Night session.

MiÑardi
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1 + Indycar
Car(s) Currently Owned: Toyota Celica GT

Post by MiÑardi »

Big crash for LeClerc. The initial long distance camera angle made the car look like it had been destroyed. Ok, it suffered a lot of damage, but thankfully not as bad as that first look.