[New!] Ranking Nigel Mansell's F1 Cars

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago @Michael Ferner seems to be saying the 1989 car was better, while others say the 1990 car was better.
There is no real science to this game, but I find Michael's logic odd
As odd as a Lotus win in 1987? I can live with that... :mrgreen:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Matt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Brawn BGP 001
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Favourite Circuit: Old Spa

Post by Matt »

Ah, this thread - I was having a look around the Silverstone museum yesterday and managed to spend a few minutes with this little beauty. Got some good photos and had a decent look at it. Not sure which chassis this is (I think it might be 6, which means it's the first FW14B but also means that it never raced).

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Matt wrote: 2 years ago Ah, this thread - I was having a look around the Silverstone museum yesterday and managed to spend a few minutes with this little beauty. Got some good photos and had a decent look at it. Not sure which chassis this is (I think it might be 6, which means it's the first FW14B but also means that it never raced).

I have read that it is Nigel Mansell’s British Grand Prix-winning Williams FW14B from 1992. That knocks out chassis #8 which Nigel used to win the first races of the year but was given to Patrese for the British GP onwards until he shunted it... As an aside it also recently sold for 2.7million QUID (not $ or Euros) to a private collector. The #6 was their test/development car as you say never raced.
Chassis #10 was used by Ricardo to win the 1992 Japanese Grand Prix .... he also used it at Monaco. On top of that it was a test car for Mansell. They only built 5 or 6 FW14B's so not sure of the actual chassis #. without a bit of hunting.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago Sorry for being away from this thread, been very busy with work this week. I see discussion has moved onto the Ferraris, which is very good.

@Michael Ferner seems to be saying the 1989 car was better, while others say the 1990 car was better.
There is no real science to this game, but I find Michael's logic odd, because points scored is not relative between individual years. 1989 was totally dominated by McLaren but in 1990, Ferrari obviously clawed a lot of that deficit back and did not allow McLaren to run away with it.

Prost actually won MORE races in 1990 for Ferrari than he did at McLaren in 1989 when he was crowned champion. So, for me, it's in this order:

So, what do we say folks? I'm sure the 641 is above the 640, but is the 640 lower in the list than any of our current cars?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Matt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Brawn BGP 001
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Favourite Circuit: Old Spa

Post by Matt »

I'd say that both cars are higher-ranked than the five so far, with 641 on top :)