Championships from Hungary?

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
redhawkk
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Driver: Fernando Alonso
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps

Championships from Hungary?

Post by redhawkk »

A general question to any Hungarians or if anybody knows an answer to this- What championships have been held specifically in Hungary? I know there are only 2(?) tracks in Hungary, but has there been anything like an open wheel or GT championship just in Hungary? I'd like to know and learn about these, and what notable drivers came out of them.
Have a Day!!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

redhawkk wrote: 2 years ago A general question to any Hungarians or if anybody knows an answer to this- What championships have been held specifically in Hungary? I know there are only 2(?) tracks in Hungary, but has there been anything like an open wheel or GT championship just in Hungary? I'd like to know and learn about these, and what notable drivers came out of them.
There must have been some sort of culture going way back... the first winner of a Grand Prix in France in 1906 was a Hungarian, Ferenc Szisz, driving a Renault.

Modern F1 had a Hungarian driver... Zsolt Baumgartner

Nowadays they hold a round of the WTCR Championship there, and the 2019 WTCR title holder was Hungarian, Norbert Michelisz

I think that Hungary is probably more known for rallying, but that is just a belief, not based on knowledge!

Not a specific answer to your question but some info, more about historic circuits.....
The first Hungarian Grand Prix was held in Budapest's Nepliget Park in 1936 when Tazio Nuvolari held off the all-conquering German teams in his underpowered Alfa Romeo. Racing returned to Hungary in the early sixties on temporary circuits at Ferhegy airfield and then near to Varosliget Park. That latter venue held a round of the European Touring Car Championship in 1963 and 1964 before the race was transferred to a slightly modified version of the 1936 Nepliget Park layout from 1966 to 1972. Hungary applied to the FIA for a round of the F1 World Championship on December 9 1984 and both parks were suggested as the venue before it was decided to build the Hungaroring instead.
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/data ... /budapest/

This article outlines a bit more on the historical side: https://f1destinations.com/exploring-th ... -budapest/

Quite a few Hungarian race/rally drivers have Wiki entries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... ng_drivers

Im sure @Vassago could help.... plus others more knowledgeable than I on this subject.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

In the mid eighties, around the time of the first Hunagarian WC GP (and obviously connected with that), the Hungarian club ordered about two dozen Reynard Formula Ford (2000, I think) to start a spec-series national champonship. The deal also included tooling to manufacture spare parts and, quite likely, complete new cars to account for write-offs. I would guess that series ran for many years, although I don't recall having ever seen any race or championship results.

When Csaba Kesjar appeared in German F3 about the same time, he was (I think) described as a multiple Hungarian Formula Easter Champion. FEaster, however, is something I have never really managed to research to any tangible degree.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
redhawkk

Post by redhawkk »

Oh wow, the part about those historical circuits is quite interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised for rallying being that popular in Hungary, I've seen a good amount of events and drivers listed from there. I also found a Hungarian Rally Championship, and I believe a round of the ERC is there as well.

However, besides that, I haven't gotten farther than finding there was a Hungarian Clio Cup.... Just a bit odd considering all the fairly decent success of motorsport from Hungary, and especially for how far back it goes.
Have a Day!!
redhawkk

Post by redhawkk »

Michael Ferner wrote: 2 years ago In the mid eighties, around the time of the first Hunagarian WC GP (and obviously connected with that), the Hungarian club ordered about two dozen Reynard Formula Ford (2000, I think) to start a spec-series national champonship. The deal also included tooling to manufacture spare parts and, quite likely, complete new cars to account for write-offs. I would guess that series ran for many years, although I don't recall having ever seen any race or championship results.

When Csaba Kesjar appeared in German F3 about the same time, he was (I think) described as a multiple Hungarian Formula Easter Champion. FEaster, however, is something I have never really managed to research to any tangible degree.
Formula Easter, I believe, were many championships of open wheelers sold towards countries in the Communist Bloc, so that's no surprise. Those Reynards sold may have been going to this championship, but I'm not sure. It's probably going to be really hard to get much information besides drivers from FEaster.

Kesjar sadly never made it past German F3, as he died in a crash at the Norisring in 1988.
Have a Day!!
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

No, Formula Easter was not an imported spec series, the cars were all manufactured locally and to a formula. The Reynard deal was something completely different.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Since my name was called I must mention the most obvious Eastern Bloc series of them all - the Cup of Peace & Friendship. Officially active between 1963-1990 but there were open-wheel races in Hungary even in the 1950s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_of_Pe ... Friendship

Milivoj Bozic (Yugoslavia) won 1958 Budapest Grand Prix on board Porsche 1500 RS and Jerzy Jankowski (Poland) won the 1959 Budapest Grand Prix on board the infamous Rak 650.

The Cup of Peace & Friendship results can be found on the Formula-2.net site stored by Fastlane. Hungarian rounds:

1964 in Pecs (street race)
http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/formula2/F364_Pecs.htm

1965 & 1966 in Budapest (Ferihegy Airport)
http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/formula2/F365_E65.htm
http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/formula2/F366_E46.htm

1967 in Gyor
http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/formula2/ ... ungary.htm

Since 1968 the races were held in East Germany, Poland, USSR & Czechoslovakia exclusively.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

I have something on the Ferihegy races
sadsac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: all of them
Favourite Racing Car: 1990 Ferrari 640 F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: Seat Arona FR ,Skoda Fabia VRS

Post by sadsac »

Have a look here redhawkk you might find some info
https://magyarjarmu.hu/category/motorsport-2/
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

There's also this video about a race held at Budapest in 1963:
https://patrimonio.archivioluce.com/luc ... apest.html
Motorsportrace
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Just for
Poster European Touring Car Championship 1963 Hungary Sign.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Népliget Park 1936 Hungarian Grand Prix Circuit Layout. (Népliget Park translates to Peoples Park )

In this Circuits of the past video you see a lap around the Népliget track in Budapest,

This article explains more of the race and track.
https://www.circuitsofthepast.com/nepli ... x-circuit/