Bathurst 1000 Archive Status

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Oliver Dale
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One + BTCC
Favourite Racing Car: FW14B
Favourite Driver: Nigel Mansell
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Bathurst 1000 Archive Status

Post by Oliver Dale »

Hi

Does anyone know which running of the Bathurst 1000 is the earliest surviving broadcast intact in it's entirety in the archives?

The reason I ask is that I am VERY tempted to get the Channel 7 complete broadcast DVDs. The earliest of which is 1976, are there any earlier than that? Just so that I know in case they release them on DVD.

Many thanks.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

AFAIK 1969 was the first full TV broadcast of the race but I think the earliest full surviving broadcast is from 1977, though there is still several hours of 76 available. The broadcasts of 69 and 72-75 have been released but only in 20-30 minute highlights so I'm guessing only parts survive.
JBT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 98T, Porsche 917
Favourite Circuit: Brands Hatch
Car(s) Currently Owned: Alfa 156 V6

Post by JBT »

It's not relevant to your question Oliver, but just as a bit of info I read somewhere in the last week (I'll be damned if I can remember where now though!) that the first live broadcast of any length at the 1000 was 1967 (when it was still the 500). I guess this would have been highlights with what theracer120 says about '69.
"I decided i was going to go into it flat, so i did" Nigel Mansell, 1990 Mexican GP
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Supposedly the first was in 1963 (which was the first Bathurst 500), when Channel 7 broadcast sections of the race live.

https://www.v8sleuth.com.au/the-history ... adcasters/

I think a little bit of that broadcast is shown from about 5:30 in this video.

Oliver Dale
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One + BTCC
Favourite Racing Car: FW14B
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Oliver Dale »

theracer120 wrote: 2 years ago Supposedly the first was in 1963 (which was the first Bathurst 500), when Channel 7 broadcast sections of the race live.

It was interesting watching that video as I assumed that 1969 was the earliest running to have a telecast (highlights programme) still in existence. I wonder if only snippets from 1963 exist?

In terms of getting the races on DVD, what I've done is order a number of releases from CMS Motorsport:

The Great Race Boxset (An overview of the first six decades of the race that I can dip into. More specifically I am going to use volume one and part of volume two to cover the 1960-68 races)

Rare Mountain Memories (for the original 1969 highlights programme)

Living In The Seventies (for all of the original existing seven network highlights for 1970-75, almost all of the 1976 race and all of 77-79 races in their entirety)

Choose The Eighties (for all of the eighties races in their entirety)

I know my order from CMS Motorsport was despatched last week. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for their orders to come? It is being sent from Australia to the UK.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Oliver Dale wrote: 2 years ago
theracer120 wrote: 2 years ago Supposedly the first was in 1963 (which was the first Bathurst 500), when Channel 7 broadcast sections of the race live.

It was interesting watching that video as I assumed that 1969 was the earliest running to have a telecast (highlights programme) still in existence. I wonder if only snippets from 1963 exist?

I have found a "part 5' of the 1963 race.....

I had a quick scan through the uploaders videos and saw no other arts but did see some other sixties stuff which looked like Bathurst. His collection is here: https://www.youtube.com/user/WJP004/videos

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always