Carlos Reutemann (79) passed away

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Rip Carlos, curious character

One of the greats is pushing it mind. Let Piquet snatch the title in what was an inferior car imho
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

White six wrote: 2 years ago Rip Carlos, curious character

One of the greats is pushing it mind. Let Piquet snatch the title in what was an inferior car imho
The only reason Piquet won the title is because Reutemann had the South African win points taken away when the race was later classified non championship. (Despite Bernie's re race promises and reassurances on the grid it was a full championship points race.) :whistling: :wink:

Agreed he was a curious character.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

The Brabham had a suspension system to bypass the rules. The car was fitted with controversial hydropneumatic suspension and water-cooled brakes at different points in its life.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

But 1981 was not the only title that slipped through his hands. If he had stayed at Ferrari in 1979 instead of moving to Lotus, he could have won the world championship with Ferrari in 1979 and/or 1982.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago

The only reason Piquet won the title is because Reutemann had the South African win points taken away when the race was later classified non championship. (Despite Bernie's re race promises and reassurances on the grid it was a full championship points race.) :whistling: :wink:

'later' is definitely pushing it! @Michael Ferner may want to comment.

The teams all turned up with skirts, even though they'd been banned. They were all aware it was a non-championship race
Hans1962
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Max Verstappen
Favourite Circuit: Zandvoort

Post by Hans1962 »

RIP Carlos

1975 Zandvoort behind the wheel of his Brabham BT44B at Zandvoort

Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

White six wrote: 2 years ago

The teams all turned up with skirts, even though they'd been banned. They were all aware it was a non-championship race
Yeah, quite right! I don't recall all the details, but it was very shortly after the Concorde Agreement, and the WC was to start not earlier than March 15 due to the necessary modifications to the cars. Kyalami couldn't or wouldn't postpone, and held Ecclestone to his contract, so FOCA had to send their cars, and pretend that it was a full GP to keep staff motivation up. Didn't really work, as I recall, nobody was fooled and if I'm not mistaken one or two drivers even called in sick. A German magazine reported a short dialogue between Reutemann and Williams after the race, the gist of which was: "I drove my ass off today for nothing" - "No, you'll get your nine points, I promise" - "Bugger off"...

Interestingly, they not only all used skirts (which were banned), but also Goodyear tyres despite GY having pulled out of racing several weeks before - everybody had to scrap for leftover covers from recent test sessions!
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Michael Ferner wrote: 2 years ago
White six wrote: 2 years ago

Yeah, quite right! I don't recall all the details, but it was very shortly after the Concorde Agreement, and the WC was to start not earlier than March 15 due to the necessary modifications to the cars. Kyalami couldn't or wouldn't postpone, and held Ecclestone to his contract, so FOCA had to send their cars, and pretend that it was a full GP to keep staff motivation up. Didn't really work, as I recall, nobody was fooled and if I'm not mistaken one or two drivers even called in sick. A German magazine reported a short dialogue between Reutemann and Williams after the race, the gist of which was: "I drove my ass off today for nothing" - "No, you'll get your nine points, I promise" - "Bugger off"...

Interestingly, they not only all used skirts (which were banned), but also Goodyear tyres despite GY having pulled out of racing several weeks before - everybody had to scrap for leftover covers from recent test sessions!
They even let a WOMAN race, how could that be taken seriously ;)

I watched it last year in lockdown, Piquet was scooting off into the distance before tyre trouble, must have been the leftover goodyears.
duvel
Favourite Motorsport: Old Motorsport
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Favourite Circuit: Nurburgring
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mercedes E240, Brera 1750tb

Post by duvel »

Very sad about Carlos, and he was a very good driver of course
Enigmatic character? Probably yes, but I think that Ferrari years put an emphasis about...not that relaxing being part of the "Scuderia" expecially for being minute after minute into the focus of a certain press...yes, he wasn't an Italian driver (too...)