What motorsport memorabilia do you have?

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I have a connecting rod from a Frank Lockhart Miller.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

I've posted about this collection of records before, I believe.
However, it is just an excerpt as the entire Stanley Schofield collection, of which I'm only missing two records to the complete backcatalogue as in at least one copy per release, contains records on steam trains, four wheel racing and a Christmas Carols one as well.

"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I have a few things. I chucked a load of stuff out when I moved house recently including most of my trophies. I kept a few more meaningful ones.... less to clean!

One thing I do have is an official poster from the 1989 Adelaide GP. In fact I have two or three of them. The only reason I kept them is I was involved in the production of them. Back then the on site merchandise was not handled by the teams so much but by a company who would sign a contract to sell all the merchandise. The company I worked for was big on special event merchandising and we had the rights the the GP merchandise for a couple of years. We also did the Moto GP Aussie round (it was at Phillip Island in 1989 and 1990 before it moved to Eastern Creek for a few years after that. Tennis, Showbags (bags of cheap crap for kids) sold at country shows and the like. Batman Simpsons etc. I pushed them into applying them for the rights to the F1 GP. Actually in my time there we also got the rights for all the Mobil / Peter Brock merchandise so I steered them into a lot of motor racing stuff. And of course I had to go and attend the races. :smiley:

I was one of the guys who had to manage it and put the range of stuff together. All the race teams would give us their merchandise to sell and we would pay them commission on sales on top of all our own merchandise we had put together.. Some we also actually designed and got stuff manufactured to include in their range we were to sell..We had a load of merchandise stands around the place but for Adelaide we went in big and also bought a big mobile shop which opened up out of an articulated lorry. Very state of the art at the time and I guess at the time as impressive as anything in the paddock. We sold a heap of stuff and it was a great success. Just to remind you 1989 was just a couple of weeks after the Senna Prost thing at Suzuka so interest was huge at Adelaide. Of course it pissed down with rain.

Anyway re the Official event poster, although I was not the artist I was the one who wrote the brief of exactly what we wanted it to look like. I specified I wanted a very busy look of an overhead shot looking down at cars in pitlane. And it was not to be a photograph.... plus it had to be very colourful. I think they met my brief pretty well.

Sadly the one in my photo is a bit damaged from my move. I keep meaning to get it framed to have it on the wall in my office. Not done it because it is much larger than any normal poster and would have to be custom made. (A metre by 75 cms is the poster size). Never got round to it but as I write this I think I will do it ... for one of my unmarked copies. There were very few left so someone must have liked them.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Actually just remembered something else from the GP....

I was racing at the GP in the support races in 1988, and although we were in a separate paddock away from pitlane we had access to pitlane. Things were all very much more informal then and you could go anywhere. Particularly if you were wearing a race suit!.

Anyway after the GP had finished and the teams were all packing up.... remember it was the final event of the year. All of the teams saw it as an end of term party. I was walking with others from our race down pitlane taking it all in and we soon realised that anything from F1 was for sale almost. There was a lot of bartering going on, cash changing hands.... one of my friends got a Michael Schumacher race suit, others bought gloves, caps, t- shirts whatever, even bits of broken bodywork.... not from the drivers but from the team guys.

I was wearing a Ken Done windcheater (For those who dont know Ken Done was/is a very famous artist for Australian settings such as the Harbour Bridge, Opera House etc. Very stylised stuff almost abstract. Very in back in the day.
This sort of thing https://cdn.shoplightspeed.com/shops/64 ... t-1984.jpg

Anyway I was wearing a Ken Done T shirt or windcheater cant remember which, and one of the Ligier mechanics came up to me and wanted it for himself. He was wearing an official Ligier windcheater, not the ones they sell but the official teamwear. Beautiful quality. I quite fancied that so we did a deal, stripped off our tops in a very crowded pitlane.... he walked off iwearing a Ken Done top, me in a Ligier one. :haha:

A photo below of me wearing it a couple of years later. A bit merry, with a Scorpions Hockey Club tie on the outside and a parrot on my shoulder. Tie on the outside because that was hockey club rules, tie had to be on show fully or big drinking forfeits!
Anyway you can still see the Ligier windcheater. I still have it.... it wont wear out but it is now relegated to a painting top.

Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

The three (of the five) Daltons, Frohburg 2016. One of my own pics, signed by all three during TT 2017 and now residing on my stairway wall. You should have seen them walking through paddock there and then. Like the Dalton brothers in the Lucky Luke comics with 'grandpa' Michael (Rutter) heading Gary 'Gaz' Johnson and Danny Webb. :rofl:

But this piece of memorabilia also contains a serious note.
I found it just great to see these stars of real road racing to walk around paddock, chatting with everyone willing to and would post about it publicly. Brian, in background, supported his cousin Peter at this meeting but also would have a foot in the door with Rico Penzkofers' Penz13 team at the time. Now these three were signed by Rico and when Rico saw this pic he had a word with Brian because of the alcoholic drinks on the table, which the three Daltons had. Not only just a word, as Brian told me way later.
Brian would sign with Rico and did all the great races for him in 2017 as well as 2018, being Dan Kneen's chief mechanic when Dan took the 3rd place finish in the 2017 Superstock TT race. TT, Frohburg, the Bol d'Or, Macao. But the relationship with Rico, thanks to this pic, got off on the wrong foot, and Brian would throw in the towel during TT 2018.
Brian was really pissed with me about this pic, which could have been taken and posted by everyone else and their dog really, as it all happened in a publicly accessible paddock.

Only a few weeks ago though, again at Frohburg, we'd have a drink together and a good laugh about this pic as well. :haha:

Another piece of my very own 'homegrown' memorabilia ;)
Imagebild gratis hochladen
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Neither the sharpest nor most mint pics but some of the self created memorabilia from TT 2017, as called above.

The pic, taken by my good self, shows the late local Manx racer Dan Kneen, coming out of Lambfell 3 where Creg Willies Road turns into Cronk-Y-Voddy straight. In the background there would be the Slieau Whallian, Witch Hill, because folks have been rolled down there in a barrel, if accused of witchery during the middle age.

This going to be a spooky bit of memorabilia and spans from TT 2017 up to my 3rd visit of the Isle of Man for TT 2018.
In the two posts above, I've already told you how I got to the Isle of Man for the first time in 2017. In 2017, my mate Brian Moore was spannering for the German Penz13 team and also did the TT as Dan Kneen's chief mechanic. A mate of Brian, Mark, would give two backyard BBQ's during the fortnight on Wednesday night each week. This is how I got to know Dan Kneen, chatting and drinking socially.
Of the first bbq night, I clearly remember a Penz13 team member being completely pissed with me for me wearing a 'Trooper' jacket of the Peter Hickman team :haha:

The second bbq would take place the night past Dan's best ever finish around the Mountain Course, a 3rd place in the 2017 Superstock race. The entire team, including Dan, again joined the party but had to leave at one point for the prizegiving ceremony at the Villa Marina in downtown Douglas. It was a long night really, as it would take a while until parts of the team and Dan had returned. The banter went on and the cheer on Dan was quite overwhelming. At one point we'd chat about my first time over. Where I had watched, how I like it and that sort of banter. At one point, I told that I'd take photos as well and Dan cheeringly replied that he'd sign one. Of course, I haven't had one to sign and TT 2017 ended.

On return from TT 2017 I got the odd feeling of having to return very very soon. Much like I had missed on something out or just like you leave your keys at home and only recognise it half way into work, only to turn around and pick them up. In my case, the Southern 100 at the start of July would have come to soon so I would opt for the 2017 Manx Grand Prix.
I'd chat up a local lad online, who I got to know during TT, for a place to stay as I couldn't return to my TT stay. I only had to book the flights and before I knew it, I had a stay as well :)
During the 2017 Manx I'd meet Dan again and hold him a couple pics under the nose, to sign them reminding him to his word a few weeks earlier. He had a good laugh and signed them all.
A few weeks past my return from the Manx, some time in October, I got a couple frames and would start to decorate my stairway wall as I didn't have signatures on my pics of Dan alone. It was a bit more than that already, with pics and signatures of Danny Webb, Michael Rutter, Horst Saiger, James Hillier, Jan de Vries, Aalt Toersen as well as Mike Roscher and some IDM sidecar teams.

2018 came and so did the TT to which I'd set off again.
I'm not going to repeat what I've already written about it above as you already know what would happen with Dan there.
On return from the 2018 TT, my dad would pick me up at Hanover airport and drove us home.
Back at home, I immediatly recognised that something on my stairway wall was wrong. It was Dan's signed pic. The cover plate glas had developed a full on crack from right side bottom almost half way up to the right side of the plate. I know that the plate had a tiny nudge in the place where it cracked at the bottom but nothing that would cause a full on crack.
I'd asked dad whether he maybe had done some work on the stairs and hit it unintendedly but dad denied any involvement.
He'd rather tell me, that he had heard a strange noise from stairway direction during dinner time the first week, I was away. I would ask him if he could remember any further details. After some thinking, he'd tell me that it was Wednesday night, roughly half past 7pm.
I would choke as this was almost exactly the time and day Dan had the fatal accident at Churchtown. The bloody glas plate broke when Dan died.

Even after 3 years, this is still spooky to me. Eversince, I only have rarely touched it to clean the frame and cracked plate from dust. I've never have taken it off its place. It still hangs there, with the broken glas plate, 3 and half years on.

Starling
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Monza, Montecarlo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Nissan Micra (vintage in 3 yrs)

Post by Starling »

Hello, what do you use to post pics? I see the majority have Imgur. I just wish my pics did not disappear after 6 months. I also see many use Photobucket, but they add an annoying watermark. Is Postimage secure?

I do have space on a paid account, but if someone finds F1 pics on the local parish website, alongside with the Mass schedule and all, I'm not sure what they might think...
Nada pode me separar do amor de Deus.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Starling wrote: 2 years ago Hello, what do you use to post pics? I see the majority have Imgur. I just wish my pics did not disappear after 6 months. I also see many use Photobucket, but they add an annoying watermark. Is Postimage secure?

I do have space on a paid account, but if someone finds F1 pics on the local parish website, alongside with the Mass schedule and all, I'm not sure what they might think...
If you want to be lazy just click on the add image to post, below the Post a reply box...and the box pops up with a "choose image" (from your computer).
Photobucket is I think a bit passé now. It used to be the go to uploader but then they reduced the files you could store for free and if you didnt pay they put the watermarks on your images.

Starling
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starling »

Thanks @Everso Biggyballies !

Experiment with my latest purchases:

OK, PostImage starts by asking me to accept the Conditions of Use, then I can click Upload and I get an URL. If it works, it's awesome! I'm also trying to register, just in case.

PS Apologies for the dust.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Well I have the Kimi Raikkonen book plus the Lost Generation plus many others.

Starling
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starling »

The Senna Corner. Slightly crowded out by volumes about art.

Starling
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starling »

Bad and dusty pics of Senna's McLaren. Sometimes magazines offer models and trinkets, from Marvel heroes to china cups, but nobody buys them and they end after a week or two. I managed to grab this:

The really valuable stuff will come sooner or later.
Starling
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starling »

Same as before: once they made a series of Ferrari models, and I managed to grab these. Dusty, of course. I missed Alboreto :(

Starling
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starling »

Finally an original. I took this pic at the Autosprint Caschi d'Oro event in Milan, 1988 I think. Sorry for my bad memory, but it was a millennium ago. I know it was the year of Bad Hair Senna (possibly also of Big Zit on the Nose Senna). Thinking back about it, I'm sorry I flashed in his face, but at least he was looking away.

Starling
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starling »

Models again. This one sits on top of my computer.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Im very pleased to see a Lauda Ferrari in the midst. My hero back in the day.