1994 Ernie Irvan Michigan 400 Accident Wreck Photo (Found) and Aftermath Video (Found)

Post your requests for pictures, videos or documents here and we will find it for you!
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

1994 Ernie Irvan Michigan 400 Accident Wreck Photo (Found) and Aftermath Video (Found)

Post by Jesper Hvid »

I earlier this year received a message from member SwervinIrvan28, regarding some particular visual media from Irvan's accident, but was not around at the time, so I've only just read it. Sorry about that. Consider this a proper reply.

The desired (possible) photo is this:

http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/forums/vi ... 27s#p23548
SwervinIrvan28 wrote:You had posted a link to a Sports Illustrated story about Ernie Irvan's near fatal crash at Michigan in 1994. I believe the story was from 1997. Of course, the link to the story is no longer active. In the post, you mentioned that it included a photo from the crash's aftermath. Is there any chance that you would have that photo?
Yes, but I haven't got it, and I am not sure what it was, because it wasn't online in the original link (now dead), only mentioned in the text. I would simply have taken a screenshot, and cropped and posted the image, if so. I guess I was somewhat ambiguous in the text. So, there's possibly a wreck pic in that printed issue of Sports Illustrated, in 1997. If we can work out which exact one, I'll be happy to provide it, and scan anything of interest contained therein. Sports Illustrated is about all kinds of sports, and not a motorsport magazine, per se.

The desired video is this:
SwervinIrvan28 wrote:I have been looking for a photo of the car after the crash. The only ones I've found show the car under a yellow cover. Ernie appeared on Dale Jr.'s podcast several months ago and they showed a video after the crash. There was a shot from above that showed some of the damage to the right side. However, I have been unable to find that video since.
I missed that one, also.

If either of these items have turned up in the meantime, please share or link to them.

Note to members: I no longer do requests via any other channel than this topic. Post your questions here, in future, please. Cheers!
Last edited by Jesper Hvid 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

May have been this, and only appearing in 1997 because of early internet: https://vault.si.com/vault/1994/10/31/o ... race-again
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

PHOTO

CARL PENDELETON/AP

Irvan was comatose after the crash (left) but was up for a visit to Charlotte on Oct. 5.
That must have been what I saw back 16 years ago. Text-only version, and the printed version containing a pic described as a crash photo.

I've asked an eBay seller to check if this photo is different from the ones in the CPdB.
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

I believe that photo is the same one as in the CPDB, photo is on page 102 and if you flip the page to 103 you'll see the caption.

Warning, contains blood

https://vault.si.com/vault/1994/10/31/7 ... 02---image

Also used the wayback machine on your original link, and it's the same photo

https://web.archive.org/web/20010607205 ... sirva.html
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

OK, thanks. No crash photo there, evidently. Leaves the podcast video. Topic title revised.
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

There were a couple of videos from that podcast uploaded, none contain anything new though.

Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Thanks a lot for the stuff, request fulfilled.
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

I may of found the video aftermath angle that was being requested. This aired on NASCAR Race Hub, not Dale Jr's podcast. Footage is at 3:17.

SwervinIrvan28
Favourite Motorsport: NASCAR
Favourite Driver: Ernie Irvan
Favourite Circuit: Bristol

Post by SwervinIrvan28 »

acerogers58 wrote: 2 years ago I may of found the video aftermath angle that was being requested. This aired on NASCAR Race Hub, not Dale Jr's podcast. Footage is at 3:17.

Yes!!! This is the one! Thank you for posting.
SwervinIrvan28
Favourite Motorsport: NASCAR
Favourite Driver: Ernie Irvan
Favourite Circuit: Bristol

Post by SwervinIrvan28 »

Not sure how I'm just now seeing this. Thank you to everyone who posted here.
Jesper Hvid wrote: 2 years ago I earlier this year received a message from member SwervinIrvan28, regarding some particular visual media from Irvan's accident, but was not around at the time, so I've only just read it. Sorry about that. Consider this a proper reply.

The desired (possible) photo is this:

http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/forums/vi ... 27s#p23548
SwervinIrvan28 wrote:You had posted a link to a Sports Illustrated story about Ernie Irvan's near fatal crash at Michigan in 1994. I believe the story was from 1997. Of course, the link to the story is no longer active. In the post, you mentioned that it included a photo from the crash's aftermath. Is there any chance that you would have that photo?
Yes, but I haven't got it, and I am not sure what it was, because it wasn't online in the original link (now dead), only mentioned in the text. I would simply have taken a screenshot, and cropped and posted the image, if so. I guess I was somewhat ambiguous in the text. So, there's possibly a wreck pic in that printed issue of Sports Illustrated, in 1997. If we can work out which exact one, I'll be happy to provide it, and scan anything of interest contained therein. Sports Illustrated is about all kinds of sports, and not a motorsport magazine, per se.

The desired video is this:
SwervinIrvan28 wrote:I have been looking for a photo of the car after the crash. The only ones I've found show the car under a yellow cover. Ernie appeared on Dale Jr.'s podcast several months ago and they showed a video after the crash. There was a shot from above that showed some of the damage to the right side. However, I have been unable to find that video since.
I missed that one, also.

If either of these items have turned up in the meantime, please share or link to them.

Note to members: I no longer do requests via any other channel than this topic. Post your questions here, in future, please. Cheers!