Touring Car/Saloon Car Crashes (CPdB)

Post your requests for pictures, videos or documents here and we will find it for you!
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

No, but I found these on the 1973 1000 race programme which is available online.

hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

theracer120 wrote: 3 years ago No, but I found these on the 1973 1000 race programme which is available online.

Thank you - I will add them later.

--------------------

These are all I got from the 1969 pileup caused. Please add anything relevant :smiley:

E:\\ Added two photos and replaced two with bigger ones.
Last edited by hollie3sa 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

That's a good haul of photos there, I think that very well covers it!
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

One more from the big crash of 1969... did not see it in those shown above so added it.

Another separate incident at the 1969 Bathurst was this crash and subsequent retirement of the GH Whitehead entered Mazda R100 of Bernie Haehnle and Peter Wherrett. (Haehnle went on to become a multi SuperVee champion and also ran in Formula Ford, Wherret was a famous TV presenter of car shows and a noted motoring journalist)

A bit of an amusing story surrounded the one car incident.

His (Bernie Haehnle) disagreement with local real estate occurred at XL (Griffins) Bend during the running of the 1969 Bathurst 500 classic when he ran out of road heading up the mountain.

With his trusty fence post, leverage, push-and-shove and the fall of the land Bernie was able to get the little GH Whitehead entered Mazda R100 back onto its wheels and into the fray after an hour of toil. He drove down the mountain and through a farm before rejoining the track.

It is one of those feats of never-say-die which has gone down in Bathurst folklore- and garnered far more TV coverage than a mid-field class car could have ever dreamed of!

Co-driver Peter Wherrett shared the car with him, the pair retired on lap 31 with PW not getting a drive but watching the drama unfold on the telly in the pits. The car was driveable, a tad second hand, but without a windscreen officialdom stepped in.
https://primotipo.com/tag/mazda-r100/
On an historic note, it was the first time a rotary engined car ever raced at the Mountain- in fact it was one of the R100’s first race appearances anywhere in the world.
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago One more from the big crash of 1969...

Another separate incident at the 1969 Bathurst was this crash and subsequent retirement of the GH Whitehead entered Mazda R100 of Bernie Haehnle and Peter Wherrett.

A bit of an amusing story surrounded the one car incident.

His (Bernie Haehnle) disagreement with local real estate occurred at XL (Griffins) Bend during the running of the 1969 Bathurst 500 classic when he ran out of road heading up the mountain.

With his trusty fence post, leverage, push-and-shove and the fall of the land Bernie was able to get the little GH Whitehead entered Mazda R100 back onto its wheels and into the fray after an hour of toil. He drove down the mountain and through a farm before rejoining the track.

It is one of those feats of never-say-die which has gone down in Bathurst folklore- and garnered far more TV coverage than a mid-field class car could have ever dreamed of!

Co-driver Peter Wherrett shared the car with him, the pair retired on lap 31 with PW not getting a drive but watching the drama unfold on the telly in the pits. The car was driveable, a tad second hand, but without a windscreen officialdom stepped in.
https://primotipo.com/tag/mazda-r100/
On an historic note, it was the first time a rotary engined car ever raced at the Mountain- in fact it was one of the R100’s first race appearances anywhere in the world.
Love the Haehnle/Wherett story :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

His accident is already in the CPdB

http://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crashpho ... itid1=5237

--------------------

Thank you for the additional photo of the pileup!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

hollie3sa wrote: 3 years ago
Thank you for the additional photo of the pileup!
Whoops just noticed it was already included in the pics @theracer120 posted. I must have missed it when I looked prior to posting.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Jesper Hvid wrote: 3 years ago Alan Hutcheson, 1962 Oulton Park Gold Cup. Bit funny.

6-pic sequence:

ImageImage
ImageImage
Image<--- that was the funny bit. Section he crashed in is called Knickerbrook. Maybe he's jumping over the actual thing.

Found the story and description from the original photographer that goes with this sequence....
It explains fully the "funny bit" mentioned by Jesper.
Back in 1962, aged 15, I was on a homemade stand alongside my dad on the outside of Knickerbrook - our usual position - at Oulton Park. It was the day of the annual Gold Cup for F1 cars, won that year by Jim Clark in a Lotus 25 by the huge margin of a minute-and-a-quarter from Graham Hill's BRM.

Preceeding the Gold Cup was the 19-lap saloon car race, won by Graham Hill in a John Coombs Jaguar 3.8. A titanic battle ensued further down the field between John Love in a Cooper Car Company Mini Cooper and Alan Hutcheson driving a Barwell Motors Riley 1.5.

This duel was settled on the last lap when Hutcheson went wide at Knickerbrook and somersaulted into a reed bed. I was armed with a Russian Fed 2 35mm camera, while my dad had a borrowed Voigtlander Vito B. I'm not sure who took the pictures in this sequence but having both of us snapping away made up for lack of motor drives.

The driver emerged unscathed and executed a perfect dive to dry land from the roof of the Riley.
https://www.mikehaywardcollection.com/b ... -Hutcheson