Table of Contents

A comprehensive guide to Danish motorsport literature, written and researched by Jesper Hvid.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Table of Contents

Post by Jesper Hvid »

I've recently abandoned a project I had been working on, namely an online Danish motorsport encyclopedia, as I haven't had the time, nor no longer have the energy or inclination. There was something, though, I thought might be of interest. Here's a library of Danish motorsport literature, not complete, but very nearly so. If other members have a similar collection they wish to upload, covering the various countries, then in time, this may grow into quite a useful concept. My personal collection includes publications in Danish, written in the original language, or as translations, and in two cases, a book written in English about speedway rider Ole Olsen, and a book also in English about the Stewart-Ford racing team, which involved Jan Magnussen. I've grouped the material in as few categories as possible, and chronologically (except for magazines which are in alphabetical order), even though there are several overlapping items. Click thumbnails to enlarge cover [NOTE: THIS FEATURE IS NOT ENABLED YET]. I've added explanatory notes to the various items. In case of periodicals and similar, which I've been collecting, I've only scanned one, typical of the collection, or in case of layout changes through the years, one for each time it did so. Magazines with "one-off" articles about racing are included in all the cases they contained material relating to the sport. Newspapers are not included, they do not fit my scanner, and my material is unsorted and far too voluminous, anyway.

These are the 13 categories:

(Auto)biographies: BOOK WRITTEN BY AND/OR ABOUT A PARTICULAR MOTORSPORTSMAN OR -WOMAN. JUMP TO SECTION:

Fiction: FICTITIOUS OR SEMI-AUTHENTIC BOOKS ABOUT RACING. JUMP TO SECTION:

Programmes: ONE PROGRAMME TO REPRESENT EACH VENUE. JUMP TO SECTION:

Track Histories: SELF-EXPLANATORY. JUMP TO SECTION:

Yearbooks: SELF-EXPLANATORY. JUMP TO SECTION:

Travelling/Adventure Motorsports: BOOKS WHICH FALL OUTSIDE ACTUAL RACING PER SE, BUT WHICH CONTAIN SOME ELEMENT OF SPORT USING A MOTOR. JUMP TO SECTION:

Races/Racing: BOOKS ABOUT A PARTICULAR RACE, OR RACING IN GENERAL. JUMP TO SECTION:

Guides/Calendars: SELF-EXPLANATORY. JUMP TO SECTION:

Instruction/Manuals: SELF-EXPLANATORY. JUMP TO SECTION:

Other Related Material: MIXED CATEGORY OF JUST ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE WHICH INVOLVES RACING, AND WHICH DOES NOT FIT ANY OTHER CATEGORY. JUMP TO SECTION:

Magazines: MAGAZINES WHICH DEAL PARTIALLY, OR COMPLETELY WITH MOTORSPORT. THE ONES MARKED *** ARE THE ONES I'VE BEEN COLLECTING, AND I PLAN TO SOMETIME INDEX EVERY SINGLE MOTORSPORT-RELATED ARTICLE IN THESE MAGAZINES. JUMP TO SECTION:

Racing Organisations: ANNIVERSARY PUBLICATIONS FROM VARIOUS DANISH RACING ORGANISATIONS. JUMP TO SECTION:

Comics: SELF-EXPLANATORY. JUMP TO SECTION:

I've had a friend of mine over, who owns an antiquarian book store, and disappointingly, she did not value this collection very highly, in monetary terms. The thing is, Denmark was never really too much of a motorsport-loving country. We have no significant automotive industry (even though the "Hammel-vognen" was built in Denmark as early as 1887), and idiotic traffic and tax laws to prevent motor racing existed back in the old days, before our few well known race tracks were constructed. Speedway legend Ole Olsen popularized motorsport in Denmark in the early 70s, and in between him and Tom Kristensen, great drivers/pilots/riders have done amazing things for us, but the two of them remain the alpha and omega of Danish motorsport.

---
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

This is a private thing that I don't wish to share, anyway, so this is completely abandoned, now.