Misc Aus Racing discussion

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Misc Aus Racing discussion

Post by theracer120 »

Sanity has prevailed, now hopefully these previously competing forces can put aside their differences.
Formula Thunder 5000, Super5000 join forces

Formula Thunder 5000 and Super5000 founders will join forces to work together on developing a Formula 5000 single seater to be raced next year.

Australian open wheel racing had been set for conflict with two Formula 5000 series vying for customers for new single seater series.

Former racer and publisher Chris Lambden announced plans for his Formula Thunder 5000 category last year, which saw him develop an all-new V8 powered car based around a Swift chassis.

However, this looked set to be rivalled by the Supercars backed Super5000 series with the launch of its new bespoke racer, powered by Supercars’ V8 engines and transaxles, last month.

In a bid to ensure a Formula 5000 series returns to Australian soil, Formula Thunder 5000 boss Lambden and Super5000 backer and Wilson Security boss John McMellan have decided to align the two projects.

The move arrives following a meeting between the two facilitated by veteran racer John Bowe.

As a result, a new Formula 5000 car will be developed incorporating beneficial technical elements from both the Formula Thunder 5000 and Super5000 cars.

Work has already commenced on the merged project under the overarching Super5000 project umbrella, with further testing and development planned for both chassis as part of a detailed technical evaluation.

It is anticipated that a combination of elements of both projects along with some new enhancements will result in a revised final technical specification, which will be revealed in the coming months.

“This is the significant step forward which will allow the concept of a modern 5000-style race car and series to actually happen, and happen well, which is what we both started out to do,” said Lambden.

“I am more than pleased with the way we have been able to reach this solution, which I happily endorse and support.

“I’d like to thank John Bowe who, knowing all the parties involved, organised an initial meeting with John McMellan (Wilson).

“It was from this meeting that John McMellan basically said ‘Let’s just get this sorted and find the solution to work together.’

“He then coordinated bringing all the relevant parties together and from there it all came together very quickly and easily.

“The one thing that became apparent quite soon was that we all are primarily what I’d call ‘motorsport people’, and our motivation for getting into all this was the same. It didn’t take that long to agree a sensible way forward.

“I’d really like to acknowledge and thank everyone who has supported our efforts to date and reassure them that this outcome will result in a ‘5000-style’ race car and series that will be well worth coming to see.”

McMellan believes the decision to join forces will result in a successful V8 powered open wheel racing series.

“I think it’s important to highlight that the team at PAYCE, who are involved in the development of the Super5000, have been responsible for the progress that has been made in getting both parties aligned,” said McMellan.

“I merely assisted in the parties coming together after JB and I met with Chris. This decision to work together is a credit to their vision and flexibility.

“It’s also good to have Chris on board, who will play a role in the ongoing technical discussion.

“An outcome such as this will only result in a better outcome both commercially and technically as well as for the sport.

“The project team will take the best elements of both designs and thinking along with some other new thoughts to ensure we have a stand-out category that results in exciting, fast and action-packed open-wheeler racing.”

It is anticipated that Formula 5000 cars will be racing midway through the 2018 campaign.
I'm hoping this does get off the ground, having a fast and exciting open wheel series is what this country has been lacking. I'm still a little bit doubtful that this will work considering how dead open wheel racing has been in Australia for the past 20 years or so, and also because we already have the Supercars, GT3 and Carrera Cup. I imagine it could become very expensive too, so they will have to be careful in that regard.

In any case whatever car they come up with should be seriously quick, considering it will most likely have 500+ hp and a pretty low weight given that it's an open wheeler. I think that should draw in good drivers (though I suppose the top drivers will be more or less locked away in the and help generate more interest in the crowds then Formula 3 and 4 have in the past.
Last edited by theracer120 4 months ago, edited 3 times in total.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Good to see some common sense prevail.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

kals wrote: 6 years ago Good to see some common sense prevail.
:agreepost:
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

I'd argue it's been a bit dead for more like 30-40 years.

Formula Holden was never a proper thing of any actual note. F3 has sadly gone nowhere but backwards over time.

Good luck to them all. Not sure if the giant airbox will give them mass appeal sadly. But the car otherwise goes great.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Im with Monte on it but I am glad to see sanity prevail and ensure it gets its best shot at success. The Supercars alignment was essential for TV exposure needed to make it commercially viable if the series is to become anything more than a(nother) rich man's plaything category.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Super5000 set for Sandown 500 demo

This will be interesting to see. I'm a bit confused as to whether or not this will be the new combination car or the Super5000 one that was constructed prior to the merger.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

theracer120 wrote: 6 years ago Super5000 set for Sandown 500 demo

This will be interesting to see. I'm a bit confused as to whether or not this will be the new combination car or the Super5000 one that was constructed prior to the merger.
Must be the new car?

The Thunder 5000 car was run by Tim Macrow at Philip Island.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

MonteCristo wrote: 6 years ago
theracer120 wrote: 6 years ago Super5000 set for Sandown 500 demo

Must be the new car?

The Thunder 5000 car was run by Tim Macrow at Philip Island.
The article in the link Racer posted says the demo car is the new Super5000 car, running the VASC engine and and Albins transaxle gearbox. The article also mentions that the Thunder 5000 car will be there as a static display. As I understand the final spec is to be a combination of the best of both cars (with the VASC engine and Albins transmission. It does not say whether the car to be demo'd is the final spec or just the original Super5000. However work on the combination project was said to have been started back in July.

John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

That car gave me a woody. For real. Make this a thing and get it in as a support series to F1, so we can watch it.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

No don't put it on against F1, they'll have it banned immediately for being more entertaining.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Ian-S wrote: 6 years ago No don't put it on against F1, they'll have it banned immediately for being more entertaining.
*cough* ProCar-series *cough*
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Video of the Gold Coast demo run....

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

They've officially launched the series.

Unfortunately they've had to basically throw away the work they did on the other cars and use another chassis (the new F3 Americas car I think it is) because the FIA and CAMS wouldn't let the old ones be homologated. I'm guessing they didn't have a choice with the Halo, either.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/08/23/ne ... 19-launch/

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/08/23/qa ... ies-plans/

Looks wise it is a letdown compared to the others, but at least it's something and they should still be spectacular and sound better then most open wheel series currently operating.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I still have my doubts about the viability of the series, although it is interesting to see it is being promoted by the same crew as will be promoting TCR> Mind you that might either work for or against both categories. The concept I like though. I just hope it doesnt become a small field rich mans plaything category. :fingers:

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Yeah.... No.