Random Motorsports Discussion ***MAY Contain Spoilers***

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Fark. That was a massive shunt. No chance.

RIP to the marshal.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Two more massive crashes involving folding barriers at Oulton Park in the BTCC support series today, these barriers are not fit for purpose.

I’ll get videos up after the end of the meeting, nobody hurt as in both cases the cars stayed within the track confines, just….
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

MSV track again?
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Yeah although I believe the barriers are mandated because they have the same ones at Castle Combe which isn’t an MSV track.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

If you're talking about the two MINI accidents, they really were just a springboard weren't they, with basically zero absorption. The second one in particular was particularly scary in how it went straight into the path of the oncoming pack.
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

The 60th annual Knoxville nationals begin today, with 98 cars entered over two qualifying nights. 89 Americans, 8 Australians and one Canadian. Favourites would be Larson, Schatz, Sweet, Gravel and Macedo.

The race was last held in 2019, and was won by David Gravel. Donny Schatz won the event 10 times between 2006 and 2017, and only finished outside the top 2 once between 2002 and 2018.
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

Okay.
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

Surprise Surprise, Kyle Larson wins the 60th Knoxville Nationals.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Needs more Australians! I only recognise four Aussie names, lol. But I know a stack more are over there at the moment.

acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago Needs more Australians! I only recognise four Aussie names, lol. But I know a stack more are over there at the moment.
Unfortunately Kerry Madsen got wiped out during qualifying night a few days ago so he was up against it to make the main show. He certainly didn’t mix his words after the crash :haha:
If it means anything, McFadden won best helmet
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

acerogers58 wrote: 2 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago Needs more Australians! I only recognise four Aussie names, lol. But I know a stack more are over there at the moment.
Unfortunately Kerry Madsen got wiped out during qualifying night a few days ago so he was up against it to make the main show. He certainly didn’t mix his words after the crash :haha:
If it means anything, McFadden won best helmet
I remember when James first started racing 15-odd years ago as a teen.

He was pretty shite, but already in World Series Sprintcars. I thought he must be made of money.

But look at him now! He can afford the best painter :mrgreen:.

Seriously though, he has gone on to be pretty darn successful.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Mercedes to exit Formula E after Season 8

A week on from sweeping the driver and manufacturer championships at Formula E’s Season 7 finale in Berlin, Mercedes-Benz has confirmed that it will withdraw from the all-electric championship at the end of next season.

Mercedes took over the HWA Racelab team for Season 6 and claimed its first win with Stoffel Vandoorne in that season’s final round. It carried that momentum into Season 7, culminating in Nyck de Vries winning the title.

News of the German manufacturer’s planned exit comes just weeks after Mercedes announced that it is preparing to go all-electric at the end of the decade, and the cancellation of the Formula E program will free up resources that will be shifted towards this accelerated move towards amplification. Mercedes’ Formula 1 program will become the sole focus of its factory motorsport activity.

“Formula E has been a good driver for proving our expertise and establishing our Mercedes-EQ brand, but in future we will keep pushing technological progress — especially on the electric drive side — focusing on Formula 1,” said Markus Schaefer, Member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and Mercedes-Benz AG. “It is the arena where we constantly test our technology in the most intense competition the automotive world has to offer. F1 offers rich potential for technology transfer, and our team and the entire series will achieve net-zero status by the end of the decade.”

Mercedes follows fellow German manufacturers Audi and BMW in preparing to exit the series ahead of the arrival of the Gen3 cars for Season 9. BMW partner Andretti is planning to stay on in FE after BMW’s departure, and Mercedes-EQ team principal Ian James said he’s hopeful of being able to make a similar arrangement.

“We have been extremely fortunate to enjoy the support of Mercedes-Benz in building a class-leading Formula E operation over the past few seasons,” he said.

“I would like to thank the company for its trust and support in our journey so far – and all the way through to what we hope will be a successful conclusion to Season 8 with a strong championship challenge. Although Mercedes-Benz has decided to leave, we recognize the value and power of Formula E; therefore, we will be exploring the best options for the team to continue competing beyond Season 8.”
https://racer.com/2021/08/18/mercedes-t ... -season-8/
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

That really surprises me. Formula E doesn't translate to me as an EV driver, but few things accelerate R&D like motorsports do.

The impact of lightness and regeneration efficiency is key to a successful EV, and also a successful race car.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Hmm.

One way or another they're not seeing the value.

I wonder if it's just too expensive at the moment, or if there simply aren't enough eyeballs watching (any time I catch more than 10 seconds of FE, I get bored and swap channels).