The Definitive "Best F1 Race Ever" Thread
We are looking for at least 25 separate entries on this. The rules are simple! Post your 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite F1 races of all time. They will be awarded 3, 2 and 1 point respectively.
After we have 25 responses, I will tally up the results!

Enter your vote here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17314

Some probably fatal crashes to identify (VIDEO)

Post here if you come across a video or image that you would like identifying.
User avatar
Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General
Posts: 35515
Joined: 18 years ago

Re: Some probably fatal crashes to identify (VIDEO)

Post by Jesper Hvid » 1 month ago

Latest post of the previous page:

Well, I don't, that's for sure. I think the clip is 20-25 years old, at least. One of the things that made IDing problematic at the old fameflame was the fact that they often muted the clips. Add to that low-quality grabs using the old capture cards. I have to say it's not too much of a problem to me, if no post-1980s items are solved, but would of course prefer to see it all ID'd. I won't be able to, I'm completely in the dark about it. And so are the commentators on [YT], or else they're trolling.

User avatar
hollie3sa
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2655
Joined: 6 years ago

Post by hollie3sa » 1 month ago

Jesper Hvid wrote:
1 month ago
Well, I don't, that's for sure. I think the clip is 20-25 years old, at least. One of the things that made IDing problematic at the old fameflame was the fact that they often muted the clips. Add to that low-quality grabs using the old capture cards. I have to say it's not too much of a problem to me, if no post-1980s items are solved, but would of course prefer to see it all ID'd. I won't be able to, I'm completely in the dark about it. And so are the commentators on [YT], or else they're trolling.
You're probably correct with ~25 years old.

Here's a (most likely incomplete) list of results from Scooter Lambert's career.:
https://www.myracepass.com/drivers/8705 ... ?year=1990

The #11 sprint car following behind (probably) belongs to Steve Kinser. His last name can be heard at the very beginning of the video: "Kinser watching all this from a car length behind"

Still no match on the flipping car.

I'll keep digging...

User avatar
Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General
Posts: 35515
Joined: 18 years ago

Post by Jesper Hvid » 1 month ago

Second extension of topic: Legion Ascot Speedway-interest (only 4 items):
---

The lack of crash footage from this track, I've always found strange. There really is not that much in existence, and one would assume any lost or forgotten material would have surfaced, after all this time.

But I've decided to request only the ID's for serious-looking/significant crashes, and then I'm down to just 4. All together, they form a sort of "mini-tour" of the track, showing various angles. I've managed to solve the rest of the significant ones, and all the various angles, which I'll add to the relevant topic, later. There is no need for an entire separate topic on LAS.

---

LAS-segment:

#60: Date: 28 March 1934. Only green is required, but all will be welcome.



0:24-0:30 360 degree spin, South Turn.

0:38-0:45 360 degree spin and impact with outer barrier, South Turn.

0:52-1:11 nudged car crashes into barrier and flips dustily, on the backstretch. Rolls like the one mistaken for Wilbur Shaw in the other video (the #3b).

#61: 20 March 1935: Only green is required, but all will be welcome.



0:25-0:30 Two cars touch and one spins 360 degrees in South Turn.

0:36-0:40 #33 spins 360 degrees in South Turn probably.

0:42-0:45 #?? spins in South Turn.

0:49-1:11 Car goes off the track in the North Turn, and one wheel rolls up Ascot Hills and all the way down again.

#62: 23 November 1930. Note: The track was called American Legion Speedway at this time.

https://www.gettyimages.dk/detail/video ... /139522976 <--- link to video.

0:02-0:08 Car loses wheel on home straightaway.

#63: A South Turn, three-car accident. Late 1920s, maybe 1930, as it has the Chicago-crash from British Pathé occurring before it, the #6 in this topic.

Image <--- just a thumbnail for the cropped video.

http://www.historicfilms.com/search/?q= ... t387i0o474 <--- link to video, starts at 1:14:35. Atrocious quality, with sound effects from an aeroplane... :haha:
With the dates, I'd say there's a chance some of these can be solved.
Last edited by Jesper Hvid 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General
Posts: 35515
Joined: 18 years ago

Post by Jesper Hvid » 1 month ago

Jesper Hvid wrote:#31: 3:30-3:34 unknown. I seem to remember this was Australian. I.e. speedcar, and not sprint car.
It's a different angle of the one, here, at 4:15-4:20:



Same, with commentary, at 1:25:



Horrible accident. #55 flips, gets hit right in the cockpit by #68 Bruce Doolan (which then causes #51 to flip), catches fire, then gets hit by #76. All the while, with the driver still inside. It should by Bryan Cunneen, during the "World Championship" at The Royale, or Sydney Showground Speedway, in 1966.

Pic: Image

Aftermath, click to enlarge: Image

We'd already been there: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=13308

Speedcars = Australian midgets, yeah? Or both sprint cars and midgets?

EDIT: http://www.speedwayandroadracehistory.c ... -1966.html <--- this gives the names of the other two drivers: #76 Lou Marshall and #51 Sid Clarke. 26 Feb 1966 is the relevant programme/news bulletin. END EDIT.

User avatar
Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General
Posts: 35515
Joined: 18 years ago

Post by Jesper Hvid » 1 month ago

Regarding #3a+b: Archivio Luce has a Legion Ascot-clip with those accidents, and it is dated 8 Jan 1936, which should help immensely. At this point in time, the track's name had changed to Ascot Motor Speedway.



Wheel didn't come off the rolling car. But the date definitely shoots down the Wilbur Shaw-theory.

User avatar
Michael Ferner
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1688
Joined: 5 years ago
Real Name: Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None
Location: Bitburg, Germany

Post by Michael Ferner » 2 weeks ago

hollie3sa wrote:
1 month ago
Jesper Hvid wrote:
1 month ago
Well, I don't, that's for sure. I think the clip is 20-25 years old, at least. One of the things that made IDing problematic at the old fameflame was the fact that they often muted the clips. Add to that low-quality grabs using the old capture cards. I have to say it's not too much of a problem to me, if no post-1980s items are solved, but would of course prefer to see it all ID'd. I won't be able to, I'm completely in the dark about it. And so are the commentators on [YT], or else they're trolling.
You're probably correct with ~25 years old.

Here's a (most likely incomplete) list of results from Scooter Lambert's career.:
https://www.myracepass.com/drivers/8705 ... ?year=1990

The #11 sprint car following behind (probably) belongs to Steve Kinser. His last name can be heard at the very beginning of the video: "Kinser watching all this from a car length behind"

Still no match on the flipping car.

I'll keep digging...

I can't hear the comments on the video here at work, but that must indeed be Kinser in the #11, and he started running green cars when he started his own team in 1995, I feel sure. Lambert was a Californian, and I doubt he raced much outside of his home state, so something in (Northern) California, late nineties/early noughts should do. Maybe Jim Thurman knows? Ah, I forget, Jesper just alienated him on another thread... tough luck.
Winning isn't everything, but it's somewhat better than finishing second! -- Bruce McLaren

User avatar
hollie3sa
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2655
Joined: 6 years ago

Post by hollie3sa » 6 days ago

Michael Ferner wrote:
2 weeks ago
hollie3sa wrote:
1 month ago
Jesper Hvid wrote:
1 month ago
Well, I don't, that's for sure. I think the clip is 20-25 years old, at least. One of the things that made IDing problematic at the old fameflame was the fact that they often muted the clips. Add to that low-quality grabs using the old capture cards. I have to say it's not too much of a problem to me, if no post-1980s items are solved, but would of course prefer to see it all ID'd. I won't be able to, I'm completely in the dark about it. And so are the commentators on [YT], or else they're trolling.
You're probably correct with ~25 years old.

Here's a (most likely incomplete) list of results from Scooter Lambert's career.:
https://www.myracepass.com/drivers/8705 ... ?year=1990

The #11 sprint car following behind (probably) belongs to Steve Kinser. His last name can be heard at the very beginning of the video: "Kinser watching all this from a car length behind"

Still no match on the flipping car.

I'll keep digging...

I can't hear the comments on the video here at work, but that must indeed be Kinser in the #11, and he started running green cars when he started his own team in 1995, I feel sure. Lambert was a Californian, and I doubt he raced much outside of his home state, so something in (Northern) California, late nineties/early noughts should do. Maybe Jim Thurman knows? Ah, I forget, Jesper just alienated him on another thread... tough luck.
It's Silver Dollar Speedway



And I think that solves it:
Haudenschild narrowed the gap during the next five laps, and won a back-straightaway drag race to take the lead midway through the race. His stay in first place was short-lived, however, as his 22nd-lap collision with Scooter Lambert sent him flipping over the catch fence on the back straightaway. Haudenschild's crew went to work quickly on the #22, and had it race-ready by the time the fence was repaired.
"Catch fence" - yeah, sure.

Source: https://us.motorsport.com/woo/news/silv ... 6/1662384/

User avatar
Michael Ferner
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1688
Joined: 5 years ago
Real Name: Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None
Location: Bitburg, Germany

Post by Michael Ferner » 5 days ago

Good find!, So, it's "Haud" he's saying - I listened to that umpteen times, I'd never have guessed!
Winning isn't everything, but it's somewhat better than finishing second! -- Bruce McLaren

User avatar
hollie3sa
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2655
Joined: 6 years ago

Post by hollie3sa » 4 days ago

Michael Ferner wrote:
5 days ago
Good find!, So, it's "Haud" he's saying - I listened to that umpteen times, I'd never have guessed!
Absolutely this. I skimmed through llists and lists of names and just could not find anything that appeared even remotely close to what the commentator was saying.

Do you understand what he's saying at 0:14?
"Somehow only one spectator is hurt. Haud's ??? will return after the lengthy red flag."

User avatar
Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General
Posts: 35515
Joined: 18 years ago

Post by Jesper Hvid » 1 day ago

Michael Ferner wrote:
2 weeks ago
Ah, I forget, Jesper just alienated him on another thread... tough luck.
I didn't realise I could even do that. I guess I must have known what it felt like. You know who to blame: the bastard sons of madwomen. But thanks for the ID.

Post Reply