Nicky Hayden RIP

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Are we wandering off the topic of Nicky Hayden here? :dunno:
Obviously there is relevance but we seem to be generalising about cycling / car driving etiquette. Maybe that is a topic in its own right for the Off Topic section? Just saying... :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

We are yes Chris, hopefully @kals can cut and chop the thread apart and create a new one for the general cycling stuff.
DoubleFart wrote: 5 years ago Drivers are people like you and me Ian.we understand how a car works, how to handle quickly round corners and how to anticipate all road situations well in advance of things happening, e.g. the lights have been green for ages so we know they're due to stop.

People travel in a car will slam the brakes last second as they don't anticipate. They don't LIKE driving, they just need it to get from a to b.

They're the idiots that see a cyclist, overtake them and then slam on the brakes because they didn't actually check to see if the road ahead was clear. They'll then go on to blame the cyclist for their error, not understanding it's up to them to make a safe overtake.

Had one of these a few weeks back - nearly drove into a parked car because he was so focused on getting past me asap that he didn't actually look where he would be going.
hahahahaha that's funny, please tell me you have a helmet cam and got all of it?

I do understand what you and John are saying, it's a similar view as to the issues between RC flying people, many consider there are two groups, sensible people who "fly scale models responsibly with insurance, failsafes etc." and then there are the drone people, who "go buy a Mavic from Argos and fly it into the nearest house" doing thousands of pounds worth of damage, then denying it was them.

But to Joe Public, there is no distinction, we're all irresponsible fuckwits that shouldn't be allowed out unsupervised, and despite a flawless safety record spanning 75 years, we should all be banned from flying, because of the actions of a select few. I guess I'm just so used to being on the end of this, I apply the same logic to everything else.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

I dunno if we need to separate this topic out. It’s all relevant discussion considering the original subject matter
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Ian-S wrote: 5 years ago No driving in a car indicates you are in control of it, being in it is indicative of being a passenger and having no control over where the car goes, that is not a comparison you can make between a cyclist and a commuter, both are in control of the bike, neither is a passenger on it.

I don't disagree on the casual commuter being the most visual problem. It's just that I live at a junction on a road where even "cyclists" as you like to call them, ignore the rules just as much as casual commuters do, you see it's a t junction, and the cyclists come up our road and turn left at the t junction and go down the lane, they don't stop, they just ride out without a care in the world and holler abuse at any car driver that happens to be on the main road.

These are members of the local riding club, in fact the secretary of the club is among the worst offenders (and it's also perhaps why nothing is done by the club about it), it is only a matter of time before someone get's killed, and it'll be their own fault - these are the "cyclists" you refer to when you self-segregate yourself off in an effort to distance yourself from the poor riding standards of commuters. This is why I see no difference between a commuter and a keep fit enthusiast, both of you are riding a bike for a particular reason, so you are a cyclist.

So, just as there are car drivers who cause problems like the one you describe, you also called him a driver, which is indicative of you considering all car drivers to be drivers, you cannot section off a particular sub-section of cyclists and call them commuters, they are on a bike, riding it in town using it to get to work, you are on a bike, riding down a country lane to keep fit - both of you are cyclists, just like the moron who in the 2016 case was a car driver, same as I am a car driver, we both drive, just I am respectful to cyclists, he wasn't, but at the end of the day, we are both drivers, just the same as you are a cyclist on a Sunday morning, as Joe Public is every morning riding to work.
Like I said, it probably got lost in translation, it makes a lot more sense in Swedish. But never mind.

I'm not arguing for the sake of every cycling club in the world. Hell, we have a few in Stockholm as well who seems to be nothing but twats at times. But most of them are good, they are aware that when flying club colors, they are easily recognizable. Even at group rides with 30+ riders we stop dead at stop signs.

What @DoubleFart and I are saying, is that there's different types of cyclists and drivers. Some of take it seriously, others who just use it as a way of getting from A to B and thus not giving a damn. Everyone is not a cunt. Not drivers, nor cyclists. But there's enough of them out there to create a bad atmosphere.

Basically people should just chill the fuck out. I can't bother myself with getting angry in traffic just because someone is acting weird. It won't do any good anyway.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Yeah it's the same in the model flying world, although I must admit I'm rather partial to tormenting dogs, the louder they bark, the lower I fly.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Ian-S wrote: 5 years ago Yeah it's the same in the model flying world, although I must admit I'm rather partial to tormenting dogs, the louder they bark, the lower I fly.
The smaller they are, the further I kick them away. :whistling:
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

John wrote: 5 years ago
Ian-S wrote: 5 years ago Yeah it's the same in the model flying world, although I must admit I'm rather partial to tormenting dogs, the louder they bark, the lower I fly.
The smaller they are, the further I kick them away. :whistling:
To both: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

The small ones are funny because no matter how fast they run or high they jump, they never catch the wing, big ones can sometimes catch up which can cause a few issues since noses and props don't mix well lol