[NASCAR] 2013 Season Discussion

All NASCAR Cup and general stock car discussion, including the Xfinity, ARCA and any feeder series.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Jimmie was certainly in a class of one for most of 2013 but I would have preferred Kenseth to win. Watching yesterday I had the same feeling as back in 2010... underwhelmed. 2010 should have been Hamlin, 2013 should have been Kenseth.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Yup. Yawn.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Yet another year that the Nationwide championship comprising 33 races is closer going into the final round than the 10-race 'Chase'. Oh NASCAR.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Yes but that's probably mostly due to the manipulation of that championship also, seeing as regular cup drivers are not eligible for points. It throws the whole thing. But still, I agree with your point.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Some good news from the #51 camp.
Steve Addington will join Phoenix Racing next year.

I think he is a top notch crew chief, who can give the team a bit more stability.
Now i hope they will also announce a good driver for 2014.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

I think given the drivers he's gotten to work with, the results are a bit underwhelming.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

erwin greven wrote:Some good news from the #51 camp.
Steve Addington will join Phoenix Racing next year.

I think he is a top notch crew chief, who can give the team a bit more stability.
Now i hope they will also announce a good driver for 2014.
I believe Justin Allgaier was confirmed as next year's driver, per the deal made between Phoenix and Turner-Scott Motorsports a few months back.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

He drove already some races for them, so it is plausible.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

There'll be some ROTY contenders next year then. Who's there?

Just thinking of it, early 2000's ROTY contenders were sick: Kenseth, Earnhardt Jr, Busch, Harvick, Newman, Johnson, Biffle, etc. When was the last time a rookie won a race? Hamlin?
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

I can remember Trevor Bayne.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Next year's rookie crop will include Kyle Larson, Austin Dillon and possibly Parker Kligerman if he gets to drive the #30 full-time (but I think he's going back to Red Horse Racing to drive trucks again). Who did I forget?
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Michael Arnett seems to get a ride too. But i can't find a confirmation. He would be driving for Baldwin Racing.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Jayski.com wrote:Annett to Tommy Baldwin Racing in 2014, run for Rookie of the Year: Tommy Baldwin Racing (TBR) has signed driver Michael Annett and partnered with Pilot Flying J for the 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season. Annett, whose NASCAR career began at Bill Davis Racing under the tutelage of Baldwin, reunites with his mentor after five seasons of competing in the NASCAR Nationwide Series. Baldwin will continue as the #7 team's crew chief next season. TBR will field a fleet of Richard Childress Racing cars and utilize Earnhardt-Childress Racing engines. Tommy Baldwin, Owner, Tommy Baldwin Racing: "To have Michael on board for next year, and to have a great partner like Pilot Flying J, is big for our team. Since we went Cup racing about five years ago, we've grown and gotten better with each passing season. This is the next logical step, and I believe there's a lot of potential for Michael to come in and do good things in our racecars."

Michael Annett, Driver, #7 Pilot Flying J Chevrolet SS: "Driving in the Cup Series has been my goal ever since I started racing, and to start this next chapter with Tommy, who is one of the main reasons I made the move to North Carolina in the first place, makes this extra special. I'm looking forward to continuing what we started - winning two races in the ARCA Series and running well in Trucks. Pilot Flying J has been with me just as long, they have been a tremendous partner and I'm honored to represent them on the sport's biggest stage."

Laura Palenkas, Vice President of Marketing and Merchandising, Pilot Flying J: "As a long-standing and proud sponsor of Michael Annett, Pilot Flying J is thrilled that he is moving to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. Our partnership with Michael began more than six years ago and we have watched him grow into the successful driver he is today. We are so proud and excited to see him take the next step in his career. Daytona is just around the corner and we can't wait to watch him pull ahead this season."(TBR/Rising Star Management Group)(11-15-2013)
That gives us a possible 5 drivers for the 2014 rookie class. Not bad, considering the last five years have consisted of guys in high-budget cars winning by lack of legitimate competition (Sliced Bread, Danica's Boyfriend) or guys in laughably uncompetitive backmarkers winning by lack of any competition (Andy Lally, Stephen Leicht, dare I mention Kevin Conway?).