[NASCAR] 2013 Season Discussion

All NASCAR Cup and general stock car discussion, including the Xfinity, ARCA and any feeder series.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Bad decisions made back when aero push was not an issue and record-breaking attendances made big facilities seem like the way to go. Now they're stuck with them.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Martin Truex Jr. has signed with Furniture Row Racing for 2014, replacing the SHR-bound Kurt Busch.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Only in NASCAR is where you allow the 13th best driver battle for the championship.

That absurdity just hit me.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Hotdogger wrote:
Cheeveer wrote:
Hotdogger wrote:
Cheeveer wrote:
Hotdogger wrote:Yes, the next ten races make up the mini championship season in NASCAR so you can follow it from start to finish. Lot of competitive drivers this year.
Nah, worst chase field I can think of TBH. No Gordon, no Stewart, no Keselowski, no Hamlin, no Montoya. Instead we get Bowyer, Biffle, Kahne, Newman and Logano...

It's either Kenseth or Johnson. No way in hell someone else is in contention. Lacklustre as hell. Won't be watching, except Talladega.
I have a lot of respect for you but this post is nothing short of ill-informed. First of all, Gordon hasn't been consistently competitive in years. It's been more of a contest to see if he'll even make the Chase in recent years than if he'll contend. Same with Montoya. I know you're a big fan of him but don't let that fool you into thinking he's a driver that's capable of winning the championship. Most don't even expect him to make the Chase. In short, I don't consider the lack of any of those drivers you mentioned to be a surprise, except for Keselowski of course and Hamlin, we knew he'd miss it months ago.

And Kenseth and Johnson are the only contenders? Clearly, you haven't been watching how bad Johnson ran the past month or so. Kenseth also had his run of wins earlier in the season and has tapered off a bit in the past few weeks. And have you forgotten about Kyle? He has 4 wins and has been getting stronger as the Chase got closer. And Harvick, Bowyer and Edwards have been excellent at strong points finishes and capitalizing near the end of races. Remember, in 2011, Edwards came within 1 point of winning the championship despite having no wins.

It'll be a very competitive Chase.
Those 5 that I have counted that the Chase are missing is because they at least are dynamic drivers. They would stir some action unlike the other 5, who will just be also-rans in the chase field. Greg Biffle for example, may know how to handle a racing car, but he's not a racing driver.

Johnson and Kenseth scored up their wins enough early on so they haven't given a rats ass if they haven't been in contention to win all summer. Kyle is a dark horse, but the others won't have a chance when Johnson and Kenseth turn the wick up again.
We will just have to agree to disagree and see how things play out. I think you will see Kurt, Kyle, Kevin and Clint put up a formidable fight to Johnson and Kenseth.
So people, two races to go; who had the most accurate prediction? Me or Sandeep? :tongue:
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Yes, you really went out on a limb there. :P
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

From the start of the season it was very clear that:
1. Johnson/Knaus is a league of its own. In a normal situation unbeatable.
2. Kenseth had made the best move in years by joining JGR, or better LEAVING RCR.
3. After Johnson and Kenseth there is a huge gap.
4. Earnhart finally has a good (not a great, but a good) team around him.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Nationwide Series at Phoenix Raceway:

After some good green flag runs, now there are a few cautions. Looks as if the tires have no grip when still being cold.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Kyle Busch wins.

Same story, different chapter. No wonder the title sponsor is bailing after 2014.
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

Trevor Bayne diagnosed with MS

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/s ... ing-111213

Shocking news. It must be devastating to be told something like that at the age of 22.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Last races of the season:

Tonight: Nationwide Series
Austin Dillon leads Sam Hornish Jr. with 8 points.
Sam Hornish lead most laps and atm is virtual the champion as Dillon is not in the top 10.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

xslive.net stopped with feed. Maybe tomorrow...
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Incompetence at the WTCC
Sam wrote:I have seen my share of driver incompetence but race 2 at Macau today was something else...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3XmeN1Tyj0

The initial incident is a bit dumb but in a way understandable because Tom Chilton's Chevrolet was in a pretty perilous position, on the racing line behind a blind corner in a really narrow bit of the track, but double waved yellows should be enough of an indication that you should be really careful. Everything that ensues after that, though, is just ridiculous.

Luckily there were no injuries, especially that one marshall was tremendously lucky to not get hit by anything.
What do you think about the incompetence of NASCAR authorities?

Yesterday a title was decided because they declined to throw the red flag before a huge clean up of the track. No, they decided to let them run countless laps under yellow and thus being decisive in the outcome of this race and the championship.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

"Five Time" is now "Six Pack": Jimmie Johnson wins title #6.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

so happy there are still certainties in life.
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

erwin greven wrote:What do you think about the incompetence of NASCAR authorities?

Yesterday a title was decided because they declined to throw the red flag before a huge clean up of the track. No, they decided to let them run countless laps under yellow and thus being decisive in the outcome of this race and the championship.
I won't comment this specific scenario since I haven't seen it but, frankly, incompetence from NASCAR officials is hardly unheard of.

--

Good on Johnson for winning his sixth championship. A well deserved title.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Jimmie was certainly in a class of one for most of 2013 but I would have preferred Kenseth to win. Watching yesterday I had the same feeling as back in 2010... underwhelmed. 2010 should have been Hamlin, 2013 should have been Kenseth.