Top race(s) of the 2010s - THE RESULTS!

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.

Rate the best *THREE* races of the 2010s

Turkey 2010
No votes
Belgium 2010
2%
Monaco 2011
2%
Canada 2011
32%
Spain 2012
2%
Valencia 2012
3%
Brazil 2012
20%
Australia 2013
2%
Bahrain 2014
No votes
USA 2015
3%
Spain 2016
2%
Austria 2016
No votes
Brazil 2016
3%
Baku 2017
14%
Germany 2018
No votes
Italy 2018
No votes
Germany 2019
7%
Britain 2019
3%
Austria 2019
5%
Brazil 2019
No votes

Total votes: 59

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Top race(s) of the 2010s - THE RESULTS!

Post by PTRACER »

So, Germany 2019 was rated by F1.com as the best race of the 2010s. Either they were smoking something or F1.com fiddled the results to make F1 2019 seem, like, so amazing

-----------------------------------

So let's see if we can sort this out by voting for 3 races each and at least settle the top 5 races. I want to hopefully reach a goal of 50 votes total!

Just a reminder of each race - please visit YouTube to check highlights of the others:

Turkey 2010 - That race where Vettel and Webber collided while battling for the lead. 10 years ago already.
Belgium 2010 - Good race with changeable weather. Key highlight was Vettel spearing into the side of Button entering the Bus Stop.

Monaco 2011 - This was where F1 turned a bit NASCAR. Sutil, Alguersuari and Petrov crashed heavily in the Swimming Pool, Massa crashed in the tunnel after colliding with Hamilton at the hairpin and the race was red flagged 5 laps before the end, during which time the leaders on very heavily worn tyres were allowed to change. Very controversial at the time since they had already "fallen off the cliff" (remember that?)
Canada 2011 - The wild, wet race where Button dropped to last place, crashed Hamilton in the pitwall and overtook Vettel a lap or so before the end to take victory

Spain 2012 - Crashtor Maldonado wins in a Williams!
Valencia 2012 - Seems to be in other Top 10 polls and many didn't watch it. I remember Hamilton being crashed into the tyres near the end.
Brazil 2012 - How could you forget Vettel spinning on lap 1 and still winning the championship?

Australia 2013 - Kimi Raikkonen finally wins a Grand Prix after returning. This is still the last time a non-Merc/Fez/RBR won a GP.

Bahrain 2014 - This had the famous wheel-to-wheel scrap between Rosberg and Hamilton. I re-watched this race a few months ago, it was otherwise undramatic

USA 2015 - This was rated by us as the race of the year. Lewis won the title here but I don't remember why it was good.

Spain 2016 - If you don't remember the two Mercedes crashing out on Lap 1 and Max winning then you have a short term memory
Austria 2016 - Rosberg and Hamilton's famous crash on the final lap
Brazil 2016 - This was a very, very wet race. Remember Raikkonen spinning on the S/F straight and into the pitwall? Or Verstappen passing car after car in amazing style?

Baku 2017 - So many crashes and safety cars, team mates running into each other, Vettel and Hamilton colliding under safety car...Mental.

Germany 2018 - When it got wet 20 laps from the end, a few people spun and Vettel slid off into the gravel at the hairpin
Italy 2018 - Our highest rated race of 2018. Vettel crashed into Hamilton at the 2nd chicane and spun. Raikkonen then had a chuffing good battle with the Mercedes. I totally forgot about this race, so check it out on YT

Germany 2019 - It happened this year, you will probably remember quite a few cars sliding off on the drag strip by the pits.
Britain 2019 - Verstappen battling Leclerc wheel to wheel for 20 laps
Austria 2019 - Lots of good battles. A good race, but one of the best?
Brazil 2019 - Both Ferraris taking themselves out, Hamilton crashing and a very unusual Top 3
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

My top 3:

Canada 2011 - Will probably go down as one of my favourite races of all time.
Baku 2017 - Because it left me in total disbelief at all the shennanigans going on throughout
Brazil 2012 - It would be a crime not to vote for a title decider that was that mental. The only one really of the entire decade.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago
Australia 2013 - Kimi Raikkonen finally wins a Grand Prix after returning. This is still the last time a non-Merc/Fez/RBR won a GP.

Germany 2019 -
Britain 2019 -
Brazil 2019 -
Abu Dhabi 2012 was Kimi's first win after returning. It was the famous "leave me alone" radio response. But Aussie '13 was the last Lotus win. It was a back to back for Kimi with a little break in between.

And No Austria 2019? That was one of my favorites for this past season.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

XcraigX wrote: 4 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago

Germany 2019 -
Britain 2019 -
Brazil 2019 -
Abu Dhabi 2012 was Kimi's first win after returning. It was the famous "leave me alone" radio response. But Aussie '13 was the last Lotus win. It was a back to back for Kimi with a little break in between.

And No Austria 2019? That was one of my favorites for this past season.
I added it, but I just lost all poll answers as a result, so I will not be able to add any additional options from now. Luckily it was only me who voted by that point...

And I totally forgot about Abu Dhabi 2012 :oops:

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

good that you explain why the race in question stood out - I forgot about many of these to be honest :blush:

I'll need to have a think about such existential questions
XcraigX

Post by XcraigX »

Canada 2011 - Probably my favorite race of the decade. Great action, changing conditions, last-lap pass for the lead, and a surprise winner. It had it all.
Austria 2019 - Loved the battle between Verstappen and LeClerc. Great action in dry conditions for a change. It also shows what a great track the Red Bull ring really is. It was a surprisingly mature race from Verstappen and shows his potential as future world champ.
USA 2015/Baku 2017 - I think this one is a tie for me. I love them both for slightly different reasons. USA15 because it was the rainout in Texas. Tons of tire changes and pit stops. It really highlighted the talent that Lewis had over his teammate in equal machinery. Also the last year we had such great car/manufacture diversity in the field where they were able to mix it up on different strategies and make it work (I miss team Lotus!). Baku17 was great for similar reasons, but it really highlighted the slipstream race and showed the potential of this track. That race could have been won by anybody and strategy was king (looking at you Stroll), but our favorite Daniel Ricciardo won the inaugural race. Could it have been better without DRS? Maybe? That's why it is slightly lower and I voted USA15 for my third race (also to give it some love as not many others will remember).
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

I would say Canada 2011 #1
Silverstone 2019 #2. Battles between Max and both Ferrari's.
Austria 2019/Baku 2017 #3 (a tie)
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Racing Car: Williams FW14
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Subaru Forester

Post by Kai-Star »

Good poll but my memory is so hazy. I have to say though that Canada 2011 I have not forgotten, nor Valencia 2012 - the crowd reaction was incredible. Baku 2017 rounds out the top 3. Austria 2019 a close 4th.
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

22 votes so far, almost 50% of the way to our target already! Thanks guys!
XcraigX wrote: 4 years ago USA 2015/Baku 2017 - I think this one is a tie for me. I love them both for slightly different reasons. USA15 because it was the rainout in Texas. Tons of tire changes and pit stops. It really highlighted the talent that Lewis had over his teammate in equal machinery. Also the last year we had such great car/manufacture diversity in the field where they were able to mix it up on different strategies and make it work (I miss team Lotus!). Baku17 was great for similar reasons, but it really highlighted the slipstream race and showed the potential of this track. That race could have been won by anybody and strategy was king (looking at you Stroll), but our favorite Daniel Ricciardo won the inaugural race. Could it have been better without DRS? Maybe? That's why it is slightly lower and I voted USA15 for my third race (also to give it some love as not many others will remember).
I think USA 2015 is a forgotten classic. I have little to no memory of it (I remember HAM shoving Rosberg off at T1 on lap 1), but watching a little of it now on YouTube, it looks full of action. It definitely deserves a re-watch and if it receives no more votes, it's only because people don't remember it.
erwin greven wrote: 4 years ago I would say Canada 2011 #1
Silverstone 2019 #2. Battles between Max and both Ferrari's.
Austria 2019/Baku 2017 #3 (a tie)
In that case could you kindly vote in the poll? :bye:
Kai-Star wrote: 4 years ago Good poll but my memory is so hazy. I have to say though that Canada 2011 I have not forgotten, nor Valencia 2012 - the crowd reaction was incredible. Baku 2017 rounds out the top 3. Austria 2019 a close 4th.
I was one of the few Fastlaners who watched Valencia 2012. Most members here refused to watch it given how awful previous races were there. That said, I don't remember most of it now, and the official F1 highlights clip on YouTube only shows shots of Alonso for some reason.

XcraigX

Post by XcraigX »

Kai-Star wrote: 4 years ago Valencia 2012 - the crowd reaction was incredible.
I am pretty good about watching every race and I can't remember a single good moment at the Valencia track. Is that the year Webber flipped in the air after hitting a Caterham? Alonso winning in his Ferrari in front of the home crowd? It just doesn't stand out.

Please let us know why this is on your list.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

XcraigX wrote: 4 years ago
Kai-Star wrote: 4 years ago Valencia 2012 - the crowd reaction was incredible.
I am pretty good about watching every race and I can't remember a single good moment at the Valencia track. Is that the year Webber flipped in the air after hitting a Caterham? Alonso winning in his Ferrari in front of the home crowd? It just doesn't stand out.

Please let us know why this is on your list.
Maybe they showed somebody who was awake during a race at Valencia, which would be incredible!

Maybe they showed somebody actually at a race at Valencia, which would be similarly incredible!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Valencia 2012 in 10 minutes:

EDIT: Actually that was fantastic.

XcraigX

Post by XcraigX »

well, well. That was good. A competitive Williams, Schumacher, and Kimi on the podium, Alonso from the midfield to win, crashes galore. That was a good race! Apparently the bad track dulls the memory into forgetting about this one.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago Valencia 2012 in 10 minutes:

EDIT: Actually that was fantastic.
I think it was also the last race there - a track that was not loved by many.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Im really struggling to remember three races in the last decade. I remember previous eras much more clearly. I guess that is more because previous eras I would record races while I watched live and then watch replays in depth. Although I still record the races now I havent watched a replay of a race for years .... unless I fell asleep watching live! :wink:
I know there were some good races, I just cant remember them off the top of my head. Canada 2011 was good though I do remember that. I will watch some other highlights before selecting my three. I cant believe I am about to watch a Valencia replay! :roll:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always