The weird and wonderful world of Lewis Hamilton

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Bottom post of the previous page:

We need these protestors tbf. Ok, we're not Australia in terms of inaction, but even the other week Boris cancelled subsidies on electric cars

Imagine all the offshore wind we could have, one of the potentially richest countries in the world for it, and we're not doing enough
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

XcraigX wrote: 1 year ago
Starling wrote: 1 year ago Thanks! Are you from Brazil? Serious question, no sarcasm. Since I'm not from Brazil, but I love the culture and the language (even though it might be Klingon or Dothraki to me), I'm really curious about how Piquet's words sounded for the actual Brazilian culture. I believe that white-skinned, golden-eyed Piquet - just like reddish-haired, freckled Senna - were not representative of Brazil's rich multicultural heritage.So I would like to hear from a Brazilian whether "neguinho" is offensive.
I'm not from Brazil (I'm from the US). My company had a factory there and I spent some time with several Brazillians. They described the strata of classes and skin tones in great detail (perhaps my own skin tone made them more comfortable to talk to me about it). It was very interesting to say the least because some of the deep issues are rooted in their culture (rather than creation of laws that were eventually overturned here in the US). Alot of progress has been made, but it's a bit like the Caste system in India. It's hard to change Caste regardless of your successes. People in the upper Castes are often trying to push down the others.
What Piquet said not outright racist exactly, but there are connotations of that so that you would not want to call someone that in public. Just like your examples we all have names for our friends that would be considered offensive to people who we don't know. What Piquet said is on that order. But there is a reason he used it during an interview (as opposed to someone overhearing a private conversation). Context is important here. If this were a story about him speaking to his friend and another person overheard it, I would buy in to Piquets own explanation. But it's not, is it...
Piquet has a long history of throwing stones and trying to hide his hands (Senna gay rummors, as an example).
I think of particular relevance in relation to the fact of whether neguinho is offensive is that it to me appears to e used perhaps more in terms of a close friend where it is seen as aa term of endearment whereas to someone you do not know well it is a word with different more sinister undertones.

How do I think that? Personally I am not a racist.... I grew up in Africa as many know. I lived with people of colour. I dont agree with some of their cultural habits, some of their food choices, but I have zeri issue with their colour.. Im going back to days when you could collect gollywog labels on jam jar for an enamel golliwog brooch. When one of the more popular entertainment acts involved white people blacking up and singing 'black' songs. (The Black and White Minstrels).

One of my best friends was black. He would call me Honky, or white trash on a daily basis. I would call him the 'n' word. We laughed about it. We both knew we were not using it as more than a joke that we both appreciated. To us at the time it was funny We both never even considered that in the context we used it might be offensive at that time. Offending each other was absolutely the last thing on our minds.

A few years later the world was different. No Black and White Minstrels, no collecting golliwogs. We were not even allowed to say gollywog. We certainly stopped referring to each other in the manner we had. Would I use the word in these climes of today. Absolutely Not, not in any circumstance. I now know better.

It was / is no longer appropriate. In any way. In the same way as sexist comedy such as Benny Hill is no longer appropriate.

So I am saying that Neguinho is a word perhaps used amongst friends endearingly, but to someone you dont know well it is an insult. Nelson is travelled and worldly enough to know it is, in the manner and context he used it, an insult.

Lets not forget, the word has a horrendous history in Brazil.... the diminuitive of nego and negro. It has roots in the slave trade which peaked in Brazil during the 19th century, although tBrazil had been party to the trade long before.

White slave owners would use such terms to describe black slaves brought to Brazil from African countries such as Angola and Mozambique.

From https://www.thefocus.news/

An interesting article....
A term of endearment or relic of Brazil’s brutal past?
There has been much speculation over the use of the term ‘neguinho’ in Brazil in light of Nelson Piquet’s comments. Piquet himself, states that it is inoffensive and used colloquially in Brazil. Others (in Brazil) disagree.

Aline Ramos, writing in Black Brazil Today, speaks about the conflicting meanings of the term. Ramos states that context and delivery are crucial in the intended meaning of the term. She explains that she has been attacked using the slur before, but also that her mother has used it as a term of endearment.

Some Brazilian musicians and artists, such as Neguinho da Beija Flor, have attempted to reclaim the word, using it as a stage name. But the consensus is that the term is still largely regarded as offensive in Brazilian culture.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

White six wrote: 1 year ago We need these protestors tbf. Ok, we're not Australia in terms of inaction, but even the other week Boris cancelled subsidies on electric cars

Imagine all the offshore wind we could have, one of the potentially richest countries in the world for it, and we're not doing enough
Yeah, I fully support the cause of the protesters.

The way they go about things is often ill-advised. But that said, you can protest for years in front of parliament, and nothing happens. So short of resorting to eco-terrorism, I can see how they need to amp things up.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Thanks for sharing that story @Everso Biggyballies. Good example of what I was trying to get across.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

White six wrote: 1 year ago We need these protestors tbf. Ok, we're not Australia in terms of inaction, but even the other week Boris cancelled subsidies on electric cars

Cancelling the subsidies on EVs is a good thing. The fleet / company car sales are now trickling down to the second hand market, and they're also rich enough (and benefitting from 2% BIK tax) to purchase them new still.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago

Cancelling the subsidies on EVs is a good thing. The fleet / company car sales are now trickling down to the second hand market, and they're also rich enough (and benefitting from 2% BIK tax) to purchase them new still.
Is it bollocks. Boris gone very soon now, so hopefully some new ideas arriving
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

White six wrote: 1 year ago

Ok, it's not like I've spent the last 8 years of my life working in fleet, leasing and energy specifically as an EV expert and might just know what I'm talking about.
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Ok, it's not like I've spent the last 8 years of my life working in fleet, leasing and energy specifically as an EV expert and might just know what I'm talking about.
Wtf has that got to do with anything? Lol

I'm talking about getting EV to the general public and making them as affordable as possible to everyone.

Petrol and diesel vehicles are still much cheaper upfront
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

I'm talking about getting EV to the general public and making them as affordable as possible to everyone.

Petrol and diesel vehicles are still much cheaper upfront
You're only making yourself look even more out of touch.

Yes, they're more expensive up front, but they have higher running costs - VED, Maintenance, Fuel. An EV becomes cheaper due to these factors around year 2.5-3.5 in most cases.

Also, you clearly don't realise that most cars are leased, not purchased, therefore the upfront cost isn't a factor, as you only pay for the depreciation of the vehicle. EVs hold their value better, and will continue to improve in depreciation as confidence grows in the technology, more Clean Air Zones are introduced, and we move closer to the ICE Ban in 2030, at which point driving a petrol or diesel will start to become socially unacceptable.

I haven't even touched on the supply chain issues, the redirection of that funding, and why the decarbonisation of personal transport is actually a tiny part of the road to zero carbon.

Maybe read up on a bit more than knee jerk reactions.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year agoOk, it's not like I've spent the last 8 years of my life working in fleet, leasing and energy specifically as an EV expert and might just know what I'm talking about.
^^^^^

"WHAT DOES THE FACT YOU'RE A LEADING EXPERT IN YOUR INDUSTRY, AND THE MOST RESPECTED EV AUTHORITY AT A BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING"

The world in 2022 in a nutshell. Let's all trust Dave down the pub or Karen on Facebook.

:sarcasm:
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year agoOk, it's not like I've spent the last 8 years of my life working in fleet, leasing and energy specifically as an EV expert and might just know what I'm talking about.
^^^^^

"WHAT DOES THE FACT YOU'RE A LEADING EXPERT IN YOUR INDUSTRY, AND THE MOST RESPECTED EV AUTHORITY AT A BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING"

The world in 2022 in a nutshell. Let's all trust Dave down the pub or Karen on Facebook.

:sarcasm:
Are your customers not allowed to have views?

I'm a consumer that wants an EV, but doing 150 - 300 miles, 3 days a week ish is impossible for me. Diesel is still cheaper, even after the fuel increases.

EVs are too expensive, the charging network is still shit.

It may be all fine and dandy in your part of the market but how are you persuading people like me to buy an EV?

You'd think you'd be delighted with subsidies, surely they've helped your career? You're a turkey holidaying in christmasville

As regards being out of touch you now also need to factor in electricity prices. It's not always possible to charge overnight via octopus. It's still impractical for me

This government has been an absolute disgrace on green (along with everything else)
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

And whilst apparently multiple sources suggest around 43% of UK electricity is from fossil fuel sources, if true, it aint that green really.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Ah, another person who has to drive 300 miles all the time, but never stops to go to the toilet, or get a meal during the drive.

Heard it all before. You're not going to change your opinion, even though diesel isn't cheaper per mile, so considering you're just repeating fallacies, we're done here.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

White six wrote: 1 year agoBoris gone very soon now...
Dream on. You're never going to get rid of that one, he's just immune to decency and decorum.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Starling
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Monza, Montecarlo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Nissan Micra (vintage in 3 yrs)

Post by Starling »

XcraigX wrote: 1 year ago
Starling wrote: 1 year ago Thanks! Are you from Brazil? Serious question, no sarcasm. Since I'm not from Brazil, but I love the culture and the language (even though it might be Klingon or Dothraki to me), I'm really curious about how Piquet's words sounded for the actual Brazilian culture. I believe that white-skinned, golden-eyed Piquet - just like reddish-haired, freckled Senna - were not representative of Brazil's rich multicultural heritage.So I would like to hear from a Brazilian whether "neguinho" is offensive.
I'm not from Brazil (I'm from the US). My company had a factory there and I spent some time with several Brazillians. They described the strata of classes and skin tones in great detail (perhaps my own skin tone made them more comfortable to talk to me about it). It was very interesting to say the least because some of the deep issues are rooted in their culture (rather than creation of laws that were eventually overturned here in the US). Alot of progress has been made, but it's a bit like the Caste system in India. It's hard to change Caste regardless of your successes. People in the upper Castes are often trying to push down the others.
What Piquet said not outright racist exactly, but there are connotations of that so that you would not want to call someone that in public. Just like your examples we all have names for our friends that would be considered offensive to people who we don't know. What Piquet said is on that order. But there is a reason he used it during an interview (as opposed to someone overhearing a private conversation). Context is important here. If this were a story about him speaking to his friend and another person overheard it, I would buy in to Piquets own explanation. But it's not, is it...
Piquet has a long history of throwing stones and trying to hide his hands (Senna gay rummors, as an example).
To be fair piquet never hid behind anything calling senna gay. It was a pretty blatant way of using wind ups maybe to try to get senna to do something silly, as was ugly wife to mansell :)

Somewhere between trash talk and the psycho games Alex Ferguson used to play.

Mansell was definitely trying too hard at times. Probably worked with him, no so much senna
Thanks @XcraigX , it's good to hear from someone who was in touch with Brazil. I did not have the honour; my dad worked there and reported a lot of events that to me screamed of "What goes on in Brazil, stays in the rest of the world" :rofl:

But, if I were interviewed and referred to Max as "l'Olandesino" (the little Dutch, from a popular Italian commercial in the Seventies) would I be cancelled?

Soooo... Piquet called Mansell's wife ugly? Let me be married to someone like Nigel for almost 50 yrs, if someone told me "Your husband has an ugly moustache and looks even worse without it" I'd laugh in their faces.

Bottom line: Piquet has a history of being non-PC. But here comes Sir Lewis, and Piquet has been banned from the F1 paddock and the British Racing Drivers' Club also suspended Piquet’s membership. It feels unfair for the champion Piquet is (never liked him, but statistics speak louder than personal dislikes).

Message from a lady: guys, grow a pair.

(NOT the guys in this forum who are nothing but awesome)
Nada pode me separar do amor de Deus.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago And whilst apparently multiple sources suggest around 43% of UK electricity is from fossil fuel sources, if true, it aint that green really.
And yet in windy times we could be producing way more than 100% energy from the seas, and converting the excess to hydrogen or synthetic fuels

We have a massive wind resource and aren't really exploiting it