Epic non-rock songs

Music old and new, musical instruments and musical theory. No copyrighted MP3s may be posted in this forum!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Epic non-rock songs

Post by PTRACER »

The only stipulation to posting in this thread is that you must listen to the song in the post above. :tongue:

I think this is a good one to start.

Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

That's a good start! I like their happier songs more, but very good nontheless.

Continued with some freaky folk

***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Not heard that one before, but it's pretty good :thumbsup: I love powerful, vocally driven songs.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Maybe not epic, but really, really good :smiley:

Alonsomania
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Alonsomania »

:smiley:
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I'll post this here then as it's not really rock. :tongue: This band supported The Darkness last night...Wow. What a crazy bunch, but so good. I couldn't work out at first what gender the lead singer was, but it sounded like a woman putting on a deep voice and then they admitted their natural voice was a bit higher, and then I was definite it was a woman.

And now I'm confused, because it clearly ain't:

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I'm listening to the above 10+ times a day, it's the only thing working as a mild pick-me-up in my shit existence at the moment.

Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Listened to this, the vocalist sounds a bit like that dude in The Cure, and that's pretty ironic, as people who were happy listened to The Cure, who were depressing, and this lot are happy, and you're depressed and listening to it.
Alonsomania
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Alonsomania »

awesome :smiley:
Alonsomania
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Alonsomania »

perfect lazy, lay down song.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

PTRACER wrote:The only stipulation to posting in this thread is that you must listen to the song in the post above. :tongue:
Can we make an exception for this album? Overall, it adds up to 64 minutes of guitar feedback and noise, making it one of the worst received albums ever from a major artist. Because anyone who tries to listen to this, at least according to the reviews, will probably ending up committing suicide. It is an epic, though, in the true sense of the word.

I'll quote myself from the weird songs thread.
WARNING: VERY STRANGE MUSIC

Well folks, Jesper posts that, and I post you, this. Quite possibly the most ridiculed album ever released by a major artist, Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed. I'm not sure what this is. I don't even think Lou Reed knows. Well, anyway, it's made up of guitar feedback. If there's anything serious about this, it was an early example of noise music.

END. OF. THREAD!

WARNING: VERY STRANGE MUSIC

Here's the Wikipedia article on the critical reception:
On its release, it was reviewed in Rolling Stone magazine as sounding like "the tubular groaning of a galactic refrigerator" and as displeasing to experience as "a night in a bus terminal".[8] In the 1979 Rolling Stone Record Guide, critic Billy Altman said it was "a two-disc set consisting of nothing more than ear-wrecking electronic sludge, guaranteed to clear any room of humans in record time." (This aspect of the album is referenced in the Bruce Sterling short story Dori Bangs.) However, the first issue of the seminal New York zine Punk, placed Reed and the album on its inaugural 1976 issue, presaging the advent of both punk and the discordance of the New York No Wave scene. To quote critic Victor Bockris, Reed's recording can be understood as "the ultimate conceptual punk album and the progenitor of New York punk rock." The album was ranked number two in the 1991 book The Worst Rock 'n' Roll Records of All Time by Jimmy Guterman and Owen O'Donnell.[9] The book gives sympathy to legendary record cutting engineer Bob Ludwig for having to listen to the album in its entirety. (In fact, according to the liner notes of the 2000 reissue of the album, Ludwig was "totally into what Lou was doing" and compared the work to that of avant-garde classical composers Iannis Xenakis and Karlheinz Stockhausen.) In 2005, Q magazine included the album in a list of "Ten Terrible Records by Great Artists", and it ranked number four in Q's fifty worst albums of all time list. It was again featured in Q magazine in December 2010 for the "Top Ten Career Suicides" list, where it came eighth overall. The Trouser Press Record Guide referred to it as "four sides of unlistenable oscillator noise," parenthetically calling that assessment "a description, not a value judgment."[10]

Probably the most sympathetic appraisal of Metal Machine Music was given by rock critic Lester Bangs, who wrote that "as classical music it adds nothing to a genre that may well be depleted. As rock 'n' roll it's interesting garage electronic rock 'n' roll. As a statement it's great, as a giant FUCK YOU it shows integrity—a sick, twisted, dunced-out, malevolent, perverted, psychopathic integrity, but integrity nevertheless." Bangs later wrote a tongue-in-cheek article on Metal Machine Music titled "The Greatest Album Ever Made", in which he judged it "the greatest record ever made in the history of the human eardrum."

Many fans of Reed's more straightforward rock efforts returned their copies of Metal Machine Music to record stores, believing that the droning grind which allots for the album's entirety was actually the result of defective vinyl.[11][12]

Despite the intensive criticism (or perhaps because of the exposure it generated), Metal Machine Music reportedly sold 100,000 copies in the US according to the liner notes of the Buddah Records CD issue.
SB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by SB »

theracer120 wrote: Overall, it adds up to 64 minutes..

64 minutes +++.....

The Vinyl has an endless loop at the end of at least one side :tongue:

Edit : found it on the Wiki
On the original vinyl release, timings for sides 1–3 were stated as "16:01", while the 4th side read "16:01 or ∞", as the last groove on the LP was a continuous loop

http://www.loureed.com/metalmachinemusic/

Have the Vinyl somewhre btw.... :crazy:
Swen
http://www.gplracer.eu/ = GPL65 GPL 66 and TC's / My GPL Rank
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

SB wrote:
theracer120 wrote: Overall, it adds up to 64 minutes..

64 minutes +++.....

The Vinyl has an endless loop at the end of at least one side :tongue:

Edit : found it on the Wiki
On the original vinyl release, timings for sides 1–3 were stated as "16:01", while the 4th side read "16:01 or ∞", as the last groove on the LP was a continuous loop

http://www.loureed.com/metalmachinemusic/

Have the Vinyl somewhre btw.... :crazy:
I'm not a vinyl expert, so I probably didn't pick that out. So it was about 48 minutes, then, was it? Still epic.

And I pity you. :haha: How much did you listen of it before you stopped?
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

The Carthy/Swarbrick-rendition of the ballad of the Prince Heathen. You can never break a strong-spirited woman's will nor pride, and why should you. I'm willing to wager the meagre balance left in my bank account that redheads are over-represented amongst these fine creatures.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Typical Irish music, but I guess the epicness is in the lyrics.

This isn't really rock, is it, just because it has an electric guitar? Have I posted it before? It is epic though.