2024 V8 Supercars & Supports:12 Rounds Calendar inc NZ round confirmed

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

2024 V8 Supercars & Supports:12 Rounds Calendar inc NZ round confirmed

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Im pleased to read Supercars has confirmed an NZ return in 2024. With so many Kiwis driving and a huge following it makes so much more sense than an ego trip to Singapore,, although that concept has not been shelved yet,

Supercars announces New Zealand return
For the first time since 2000, pandemic-affected years aside, Supercars is not racing on the other side of the Tasman in 2023, following the somewhat sudden closure of Pukekohe.

The championship has agreed to a three-year deal with the New Zealand Government via the Major Events Fund, plus support from Taupo District Council, meaning an event at the Tony Quinn-owned Taupo circuit at least through 2026.

A date for next year’s stop in Aotearoa is set to be confirmed in coming weeks, although Quinn previously nominated April and October as likely, and Speedcafe believes the former to be particularly so.

The Taupo International Circuit layout. Image: Taupo International Motorsport Park

What has been locked in is the use of the 3.32km International Circuit layout, one of four at Taupo, which is located in the centre of the North Island.

Supercars CEO Shane Howard said, “We are honoured to receive the New Zealand Major Events and Taupo District Council’s endorsement for the Supercars Championship’s return in 2024.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/08/21/su ... nd-return/

Taupo International Motorsport Park features a three-storey pit lane complex, with 32 pit garages and first floor corporate suites within the Race Control complex.

It will become the third track in New Zealand to host championship points-paying Supercars event, following Pukekohe Park Raceway in two different iterations as well as the Hamilton Street Circuit.

Hampton Downs was also listed on the 2020 calendar as a replacement for Pukekohe but had to be dropped due to COVID travel restrictions, while the Wellington Street Circuit saw a non-championship event in 1996.
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 3 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

A bit more about the event
Supercars has confirmed it will make its return to New Zealand in 2024 after the country missed out on a spot on the 2023 calendar following the somewhat sudden closure of Pukekohe Park Raceway.

With Taupo being located in the Waikato region rather than that of Auckland, as Pukekohe is, the national government has stepped in to back the event under a three-year contract.

“It is a multi-year deal, so we’ve got a good commitment there,” Howard told Speedcafe.

“We’ve got really good support, too, from the Taupo region and the mayor and the council.

“Then, obviously, racing at a Tony Quinn-owned circuit, Tony does a good job of everything he does, and I think he’s got that venue really looking good.

“It’s more of a destination event. It’s basically three hours from Auckland and three hours from Wellington, so it’s pretty central.

“But, I think it’s going to be very strong for tourism. It’s a really nice venue, and a beautiful place to go racing, so we’re really looking forward to it.”

A date for the 2024 Taupo event is yet to be announced, with Howard explaining that timing it to optimise the economic return is a key consideration.

“We’re working really closely with [government] and, as we’re putting the final pieces into our calendar, this has been a major key to that,” he said.

“It’s very important for the government to make sure that we’ve got the event at the right time.

“It’s a very tourist-driven area, and to really support and drive the economic results for a government and a region to back you to go there, so we’re just working through that as we speak.”

Taupō District Mayor David Trewavas remarked, “Attracting a premium event like Supercars to the Taupō District further cements our reputation as the events capital of New Zealand.

“Our central location means people will come from all over the country and we are looking forward to making the most of it.

“We expect a lot of visitors to our town and our district; and we know they’ll receive a warm Taupo welcome.”

The development is likely to be well-received among the substantial number of Kiwi drivers and fans of Supercars.

“We’ve had a very long association with racing in New Zealand,” noted Howard.

“We’ve got some fantastic Kiwi drivers in our championship and we’ve got a great fanbase over there; very passionate and very loyal.

“We’ve worked really hard to get New Zealand back on the on the calendar.

“Obviously, we were taken a bit by surprise with Puke closing down, but we’ve worked extremely closely with the central government [on a return].”
https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/08/21/ta ... rism-boon/

Quinn has previously nominated April or October as likely dates.

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Has the track changed much since the A1 GP days? I have to say I forgot how it looks like so I'll have to dig some old clips :tongue:
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Vassago wrote: 8 months ago Has the track changed much since the A1 GP days? I have to say I forgot how it looks like so I'll have to dig some old clips :tongue:
Im pretty sure that as far as A1GP were concerned they used the International (ie current) Circuit. That was originally configured back in 2006 when the layout went from a 6 turn layout of less than a mile to the current International Track.

I dont think that Taupo hosted an (A1GP) race prior to Jan 2007.

I do believe that a very minor tightening of a chicane on the straight before the last turnhappened for the final AIGP event to encourage overtaking but cant find any proof so I will shut up.

I also believe the only one with the necessary FIA Grading for Supercars is the International (3.4klm) track.

Edit: Found an article back in 2015 when the track was renamed Bruce McLaren Motorsport Park that talks of 4 layouts only one FIA Approved.
That is here https://www.speedcafe.com/2015/11/26/ta ... e-mclaren/

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Found more info on racingcircuits.info and a visual of changes which is pretty much as I said in the previous post.

1959-2005

2008-current

https://www.racingcircuits.info/austral ... taupo.html

Vassago

Post by Vassago »

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

2024 Supercars Calendar is awaiting confirmation re Newcastle Council approval

Finalisation of the 2024 Supercars calendar appears now to be on hold waiting on a decision from the city council regarding the Newcastle 500, although when that occurs remains to be seen.

City of Newcastle would be one of three parties to the still unsigned contract which would take effect next year, the others being Supercars itself and the state’s tourism/events body, Destination NSW (DNSW).

It is unlikely that any answers will come in tonight’s monthly council meeting either given, at time of publication, Supercars is not part of the agenda.

In fact, a decision may yet be weeks away given the following ordinary council meeting is not due until October 24, and may yet be postponed by one week due to a clash with a Sir Paul McCartney concert in the city.

The Bend is also believed to not yet be locked in

So in effect we dont know yet if it will be a 12 round championship or maybe 13 rounds.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It seems the talks of Supercars and a gig at the Singapore GP is but a Supercars figment of imagination and at best a pipedream.

One thing that has come up is regarding Supercars and their belief in a round of the Championship in the future at Singapore, supporting the GP to be well advanced.

Investigations by our motorsport press have uncovered that to be a crock of shit, and little more than Supercars propaganda, maybe coupled to a bit of self belief and delusions of grandeur in that they would be a natural for the event.

Supercars line is its addition to the event would increase the spectacle for those fans in attendance and increase the ticket sales..Talk of 'global sponsorship' for Supercars and all sorts of other wonders have been spoken of by the Supercars Board. It was said to be the ideal Sandown replacement when the bulldozers move in. That date is in reality speculative at best). There is a contract in place for Sandown next year so we already knew Singapore was not a 2024 consideration.

Singapore officials are far from being in the same chapter let alone on the same page.

The truth is that, given the increase of F1 popularity Singapore is a complete sell out. Due to the redesign of the layout this year, a few grandstands were lost due to the development and construction in that part of the track, thus Singapore is far from being in need of attracting more spectators. They are certainly not in a position of needing to spend millions of dollars in terms of attracting Supercars to the event. If they were looking at means to increase the attendance with a higher profile support category that might be the case but it isnt.

As far as the ongoing conversations and negotiation claims made by sSupercars, Singapore officials say there is no ongoing dialogue with Supercars... maybe Supercars were talking to F1 officials. No, no-one in F1 land is aware of any conversations.

Finally lets not forget that the Singapore GP is majority funded by the Singapore Government and Tourism authority so they dont need to turn a profit. But more to the point they dont need to be increasing their costs further without any return..

An interesting well researched article on Singapore and Supercars : No substance to Supercars Singapore claims

Just a final personal thought based on Supercars wanting to replace Sandown with Singapore. There is no logic to that. Sandown is an enduro, and given it is a pre-curser to Bathurst it is good for the teams and fans alike. Teams use it as part of their preparation for the Mountain.
Supercars want to replace it with Singapore? At best that would be a number of VERY short, time certain races that technically dont even meet the original Supercar race distance mandate. What good is a time consuming logistical nightmare ultra sprint format that Singapore would entail in terms of being a suitable lead in to a 1000klm race.

If Sandown was to disappear a 500k race at Phillip Island would be a no brainer. We dont need a circle jerk event in Singapore.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 7 months ago 2024 Supercars Calendar is awaiting confirmation re Newcastle Council approval
No sooner than I made tht post above re Newcastle and the wait for Council approval to the race, and within a couple of hours we have a council update which seems good and bad. Bad in that Newcastle seem a bit negative over it, but good news is that the NSW government thrown (financial) support behind the race. So State bucks against local resident opposition......
The New South Wales Government has thrown its support behind the Newcastle 500 amid vigorous local opposition to the event and uncertainty over when council will decide its fate.

This morning, the Newcastle Herald reported that the would-be 2024 Supercars season-opener “appears destined for the scrap heap after the council’s administration declined to recommend councillors approve a one-year extension.”

However, the state’s tourism minister, John Graham, has since issued a press release outlining his support for the event, declaring the (new Labor since last years race) government “remains committed to the Newcastle 500”.
The State Govt say they are prioritisinretaining iconic major events such as the NRL Grand final, Mardi Gras, the Newcastle 500, and Sydney Festival. “These events and others are currently going ahead with one-year extensions while we work through the budget black hole we inherited.

However even the State Govt say “The future of the event now sits firmly in the hands of the Newcastle City Council.”
The Greens say“ Unless there’s an 11th-hour intervention and it comes back to the council, it won’t go ahead.. “If the council administration is not prepared to push for agreement on a one-year extension, unless they come back with an alternative offer, it won’t be on the schedule of events next year.”

Supercars are keen to have next year in place by Bathurst. Aint going to be that quick I would say. Mind you it was end of November before they confirmed this year so its not the end of the world.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

OFFICIAL. Newcastle 2024 cancelled!

OK so the will it wont it go ahead Newcastle event wont be happening. Despite the State Govt funding the local council have the final say and it seems many local dont like the disruptions to life that come with a major event coming to town. Throw in the fact that many of those haters are paying the council rates etc that fund the local council..... votes count and shit happens. Despite the benefits to Newcastle and the local economy, as an event it does create dramas with those affected by street closures and compromises those none fans have to put up with.

That recent uncertainty over the event was the key reason why the 2024 Calendar missed its original deadline of confirmation at Bathurst.

It seems there is a back up plan in place which will be at Bathurst, likely part of a double weekend festival that will include the 12 hour on one such weekend. I guess that is a loophole and way around the I think 5 maximum events per year, this Bathurst festival although two weekends will get away as one event.

EDIT V8 sleuth has a report which is far more readable and much shorter than the Speedcafe report below. V8 Sleuth link https://www.v8sleuth.com.au/newcastle-5 ... i2W1dfeMt0

Mayor Cr Nelmes revealed the news on ABC Newcastle radio this morning, saying that Supercars CEO Shane Howard had called to tell her that the category has opted for a back-up plan for the 2024 season-opener, understood to be Bathurst.

The development comes after Premier Chris Minns yesterday called on Newcastle City Council to make a decision on entering into a contract or otherwise for the event next year.

The New South Wales Government is offering an interim, one-year deal for 2024 due to a budget ‘black hole’ but, according to the Premier, is already in talks with Supercars about a new five-year deal also.

Notwithstanding that she has previously declared the Newcastle 500 “very successful” for the city, Cr Nelmes now says she has fallen into line with the local state MP, Tim Crakanthorp.

He has expressed his opposition to the event in recent months, due to a survey which found that a majority of residents were opposed to a new deal for the event.

“An event of this size and scale would have to be supported by local state MPs for it to ever go ahead, so the decision really does rest with the NSW government,” said Cr Nelmes on ABC radio.

“Tim has come out quite clearly not supporting the event [following] the consultation that we have done in his particular area and we absolutely respect his decision.

“And there is no way we’ll be going ahead with an event of that size and scale when your local state representatives don’t support it.”

As previously reported that consultation appeared to include some anomalous responses and did not exclude the possibility that individuals had responded multiple times to the online component.

In any case, the Labor state government continued to support the event while the local government, which features a Labor majority, refused to entertain the one-year offer for the stated reason that it was not consistent with the five years upon which the consultation was predicated.

Yesterday, Premier Minns called that stance “nonsensical”.

The contract for the Newcastle 500 would have been a tri-party agreement between the state government (through the Destination NSW tourism/events agency), City of Newcastle, and Supercars itself.

The announcement from Cr Nelmes does not necessarily rule out the return of the Newcastle 500 in 2025 and beyond.

However, she stated that would also be dependent on the local state MP’s stance.

“At this point in time, there is no agreement with the New South Wales government and the local state MPs that represent all of us here in Newcastle in this region, in the state parliament,” Cr Nelmes remarked.

“They would have to have some agreement before we would even look at anything in the future.”

(Snipped out political blah blah :wink: )

The Bathurst back-up plan would entail combining the 12 Hour with a Supercars event.

It is understood that would mean elongating the event to a 10-day ‘festival of motorsport’ in order to ensure that Mount Panorama is not oversubscribed per state legislation restricting it to five full track closures per year.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/10/19/br ... cancelled/

So no Newcastle and I am sure more will be known soon about the Bathurst Backup plan

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The finalisation of the calendar is going on and on and we still dont know, beyond Newcastle is out and a Bathurst 12 hour tie up over a double weekend single event.

Now news is breaking to say that the Bend wont get a gig. Also it seems that the calendar will be just 12 rounds, the minimum to satisfy broadcasting requirements and contracts. Supercars management determined that the Shahin-owned facility was not a viable inclusion on the calendar once Taupo was added. A 13th event would mean that Teams would be entitled to an extra $1.4 million (60,000 per car per event for events over the 12 minimum). The Bend likely wont be paying that much in fees to cover SC.

News of late that Supercars is in financial shit likely contributes to the lack of events. (Supercars it seems lost 'several million' over the last financial year, but that is a separate story mentioned below).

As we stand now although they talk of 12 events, only 5 are currently locked in with dates (listed after the article below)
The championship’s television contract stipulates a minimum of 12 events and there are (without The Bend) indeed exactly a dozen on the 2023 provisional calendar.

Under the terms of the Teams Racing Charter, Supercars is obliged to pay charter holders a higher grant if the season spans more than that minimum.

While there is widespread agreement among teams, drivers, fans, and championship management that 12 events is not enough – RACE Chairman Barclay Nettlefold expressed a goal of 15 events in 2024 in an interview with Speedcafe earlier this year – making the finances stack up is seemingly a tricky task for Supercars.

Teams are entitled $60,000 per charter for each event above the minimum 12, meaning a total of $1.44 million across the 24-car field next year.

However, although estimates vary wildly, it is believed that the sanction fee which The Bend might pay to Supercars, noting that it self-promotes its event, would not clear that $1.44 million.

In fact, the figure is thought most likely to be around the mid-six figures.

Supercars would, Speedcafe understands, earn some extra revenue from Foxtel for a 13th event, although the agreement is a complex one and the uplift would depend on factors such as the type of event, type of circuit, and whether or not it is held overseas.

Note that ‘Broadcast revenue’ was $31,176,000 in the 2022 calendar year per RACE’s most recent Annual Report, a period which falls within the current television rights deal.

That figure is not broken down geographically, although it is worth noting that broadcast revenue falls under ‘Revenue from contracts with customers’ totalling $111,486,000, of which $105,327,000 is attributed to Australia and the balance of $6,159,000 to New Zealand.

If one assumes that the sanction fee for The Bend would be $500,000, then Supercars needs $940,000 extra from television to match the $1,44 million payable to teams in order to make a 13th event directly profit-neutral.

Of course, that ignores the additional costs which Supercars would incur through its Motorsport department, corporate functions, and the television production for which it foots the bill.

While a 13th event would be desirable to give the championship more momentum and, hopefully, greater mainstream cut-through, it is unlikely that RACE/Supercars would be keen on incurring a loss on another SuperSprint event within Australia.

As previously reported by Speedcafe, RACE already lost $2.7 million in its first year owning the category, and it would hardly be a surprise if that loss grows in the 2023 calendar year given further expenses in the rollout of Gen3.

For The Bend, Supercars is unlikely to be make-or-break.

It would at least be a ‘nice-to-have’ as a branding exercise, creating a halo effect which would attract paying customers such as drive day participants, but whether or not it is directly profit-positive is unknown.

Unfortunately for The Bend, though, with Taupo coming online, Supercars’ bargaining position strengthens given it has the 12 events it needs to fulfil its television contract.

It would thus be hardly a shock if the two parties could not reach an agreement on a sanction fee for the championship to head to Tailem Bend, where it has raced at least once every year since the facility opened in 2018.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/11/09/th ... -calendar/

For info from what I can tell the only actually confirmed events / dates at this point are these 6 events. The other 6 seem up in the air.
(from the Supecars website that is all that shows on the 2024 Calendar)

Bathurst SuperFest
16 - 25 February

Albert Park AGP
21-24 March

ITM Taupō
19 - 21 April

betr Darwin Triple Crown
14 - 16 June

NTI Townsville 500
5 - 7 July

Boost Mobile Gold Coast 500
25 - 27 October

To add to that, not yet actually confirmed but a contracted event..... the Adelaide 500 is the contracted season finale, and sources indicate its date next year will be the weekend of Sunday, November 24.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I did find this very provisional sheet of possible maybes with potential dates (obviously put together before the Bend news broke

2024 Supercars calendar scenarios

Sunday Scenario 1 Scenario 2 Scenario 3 Remarks
Feb 25 Bathurst SuperFest Bathurst SuperFest Bathurst SuperFest Confirmed
Mar 3
Mar 10
Mar 17
Mar 24 Albert Park Albert Park Albert Park Date confirmed by FOM
Mar 31
Apr 7
Apr 14
Apr 21 Taupo Taupo Taupo Confirmed
Apr 28
May 5
May 12
May 19 Wanneroo Wanneroo Wanneroo
May 26
Jun 2
Jun 9
Jun 16 Hidden Valley Hidden Valley Hidden Valley Confirmed
Jun 23
Jun 30
Jul 7 NTI Townsville 500 NTI Townsville 500 NTI Townsville 500 Confirmed
Jul 14
Jul 21 Sydney Motorsport Park Sydney Motorsport Park
Jul 28 Olympic Games
Aug 4 Olympic Games
Aug 11 Olympic Games
Aug 18 The Bend Symmons Plains Sydney Motorsport Park
Aug 25
Sep 1 Symmons Plains Symmons Plains
Sep 8
Sep 15 Sandown 500
Sep 22 Sandown 500 Sandown 500
Sep 29
Oct 6 NSW long weekend
Oct 13 Bathurst 1000 Bathurst 1000 Bathurst 1000
Oct 20
Oct 27 Gold Coast 500 Gold Coast 500 Gold Coast 500 Confirmed
Nov 3
Nov 10
Nov 17
Nov 24 Adelaide 500 Adelaide 500 Adelaide 500 Contracted finale

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

CONFIRMED : Supercars has unveiled its 12-round 2024 calendar .....

....... as well as confirming that The Bend will host an enduro in 2025.

OK the calendar has now been confirmed and as hinted yesterday the Bend is off the list for this year. However it will get an Enduro round for 2024. That news alone suggests Sandown will be struck off after next years event. Sandown next year is already set to be the only Victorian round. Given most of the teams are Melbourne based and we have a brilliant track available, that just seems wrong to me.

Other than that no real surprises except that the SC owners seem hell bent on dragging Supercars overseas, with Qatar the target. We have better venues in Australia and we have a domestic calendar with fewer events than ever and they want to take SC to Qatar for a non championship Circle Jerk. For instance we have nothing at Phillip Island or Winton.

We also have a revised format for Sprint races, with the three races format replaced by 2x200klm which are infact run to time rather than lap count.
As previously announced, the season will kick off with the Bathurst SuperFest, incorporating the Bathurst 12 Hour, the Supercars component of which will take place on February 23-25.

That will be run to the standard 500-kilometre format (excluding Sandown) which features qualifying, a Top 10 Shootout and a 250-kilometre race on both Saturday and Sunday.

The second round will be at Albert Park where there will once again be four sprint races during the Australian Grand Prix weekend on March 21-24.

The return to New Zealand, and debut at the Taupō circuit, will also see the debut of a new format – Super400. That will entail a 200-kilometre refuelling race on each day.

Perth has retained its spot early in the calendar with a May 17-19 date, and will be the first event run to a new timed SuperSprint format. The number of races on SuperSprint weekends (except Albert Park) drops from three to two, with each raced timed over 60 minutes rather than running to a set number of laps.

That SuperSprint format will be used for the betr Darwin Triple Crown on June 14-16 ahead of the NTI Townsville 500 on July 5-7.

The Beaurepaires Sydney SuperNight will continue as the only night event on the calendar and will run to the Super400 format on July 19-21.

Symmons Plains slips down the order due to Taupo’s date, with the Ned Whisky Tasmania SuperSprint locked in for what should be a chilly August 16-18 slot.

The enduro season kicks off with the 60th running of the Penrite Oil Sandown 500 on September 20-22 followed by the Repco Bathurst 1000 on October 10-13.

The season then concludes with the Boost Mobile Gold Coast 500 on October 25-27 and the 25th Vailo Adelaide 500 on November 14-17.

The Adelaide date is effectively a week earlier than it is this year which points to ongoing talks between Supercars and Qatar Grand Prix organisers about a non-championship race in Lusail next year.

It is an open secret that Supercars owner Barcley Nettlefold is pushing for international expansion
and remains enthusiastic about a post-season trip to Qatar as soon as next year

2024 Supercars Championship calendar

Rnd Event/Track Date Format
Test QLD teams test, Queensland Raceway Feb 5
Test Southern teams test, Winton Feb 7

1 Bathurst 500 Feb 23-25 2 x 250km
2 Melbourne SuperSprint Mar 21-24 4 races
3 ITM Taupo Super400 Apr 19-21 2 x 200km
4 Perth SuperSprint May 17-19 2 x 60min
5 betr Darwin Triple Crown Jun 14-16 2 x 60min
6 NTI Townsville 500 Jul 5-7 2 x 250km
7 Beaurepaires Sydney SuperNight Jul 19-21 2 x 200km
8 Ned Whisky Tasmania SuperSprint Aug 16-18 2 x 60min
9 Penrite Oil Sandown 500 Sep 20-22 500km
10 Repco Bathurst 1000 Oct 10-13 1000km
11 Boost Mobile Gold Coast 500 Oct 25-27 2 x 250km
12 Vailo Adelaide 500 Nov 14-17 2 x 250km

Vassago

Post by Vassago »

Looks like the series finally realized the sprint format is flat out boring compared to the longer races and the sole pitstop changes nothing. Good decision to replace it with 60 mins timed races.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

This next move is to me common sense. There are no cost saving benefits to teams or organisers by reducing track action to two days. The teams still have to get there early to set up, so with no benefits and an increased level of downsides why do it.

Supercars will not hold any two-day events in 2024, after dissatisfaction over how they were rolled out this year.

Three of this year’s SuperSprints were two-day events so far as Supercars track activity was concerned.

However, teams still had to send crew members to the circuit on Thursdays to complete the bulk of their set-up because they were not allowed access to pit lane or to lower transporter tailgates on Fridays due to support categories being on-track.

Of course had Supercars showed minor competence in their scheduling of things it might have worked and allowed V8 teams to arrive and set up on Friday.

There will be no such anomalies next year, with the Supercars Championship field to always be on-track on a Friday.

There are benefits commercially in being able to run on just two days, the Saturday and the Sunday. Fridays are usually pretty quiet attendance wise given Friday sees most fans at work.

Jamie Whincup explained the issues with the way they were set up to run when at SMP for one of the 'two day' meetings quite well......
“In my opinion, we’ve got an operational issue this weekend.

“You can’t use pit lane because all the support categories are in there, and you can’t pull your tailgate down because there’s an OH&S issue.

“So, we’ve all got to roll in [on Thursday], you’ve got a half a day and a mad rush to get everything out of your truck in the garage, and then get your pit boom set up.

“Then we sit around here [on Friday] with your finger up your bum, waiting to get on.

“So, if we’re here, we may as well be racing, but let’s fix the operational issue.

“Let’s set up [on Friday] and then have a crack at Saturday, Sunday.”
Dick Johnson Racing Team Principal Ben Croke reasoned that there should have been a (Friday) night-time practice session before the field raced under lights, for the first time in the Gen3 era, on the following night.

While Symmons Plains and The Bend were also ‘two-day events’, Sydney was the most oddly arranged of them all because of the night race and the ride day which followed on the Monday, meaning some crew members were at the track for five days all up.

On the matter of a 12 round championship there are many in team land that feel that isnt enough. I personally agree with that and it all points to Supercars owners unwilling to invest in a decent calendar, or one that exceeds broadcasting minimums contractual numbers. Yes it costs money but sometimes you have to spend to make.