20 years of The Fastlane

Announcements of any new features or alternations to the forum will be posted here. This is the place to submit any problems you have or suggestions on how to improve the forum.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

20 years of The Fastlane

Post by PTRACER »

On the 22nd November 2003, Crasherama.dk (now The-Fastlane.co.uk) was born.

We've undergone many changes in that time and I'm in disbelief the site has managed to hold on for so long. I can't claim that I have done much more than pay the bills and keep the technical side operational, the folks who come here and start/participate in discussions, post images and videos - you guys are the heart and soul of the forum and deserve all the thanks for ensuring this site is still online two decades after it began. So many other sites and forums - many that were bigger than us - have fallen by the wayside. Not only am I grateful for the members who have been with us from the beginning, but I am hugely thankful for those who joined us from other forums in the series of mergers we organised 5/6/7 years ago. I think that has really contributed to our longevity.

I have no idea what is next for this site and I have nothing special planned to commemorate the 20th birthday. So I'm going to open this topic for comments and suggestions.

What do you like about the forum? What don't you like? What do you think should be changed? For example - do you think we have too many sections on the homepage? Do you think we should increase the number of posts from 3 to another number for access to the Crash Photos section? Or maybe lose the requirement entirely? Are there any features you think we should introduce, or perhaps features we have that should be gotten rid of?

I'm open to suggestions on any topic and willing to implement any ideas you suggest. If something doesn't work out, we can always put it back how it was.

Thanks all for the last 20 years :mates:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Almost happy birthday The Fastlane! Your baby is all grown up now PT! I think it's graduating forum university :P.

I wouldn't *change* anything fundamental. It doesn't need sprint races ;).

The only problem is retaining members, and really I have no idea how to do that. There are a few new ones, but very few stick around. And it's only natural that old-timers drop off (either reduce their posting rate, or leave entirely) over time for a multitude of perfectly natural reasons that no one can change.

Maybe something like a racing league or two (over different games) would help attract some members and keep them around. Maybe upping the minimum posts to like 10 or 15 might help too, I dunno.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

MonteCristo wrote: 5 months ago Almost happy birthday The Fastlane! Your baby is all grown up now PT! I think it's graduating forum university :P.

I wouldn't *change* anything fundamental. It doesn't need sprint races ;).

The only problem is retaining members, and really I have no idea how to do that. There are a few new ones, but very few stick around. And it's only natural that old-timers drop off (either reduce their posting rate, or leave entirely) over time for a multitude of perfectly natural reasons that no one can change.

Maybe something like a racing league or two (over different games) would help attract some members and keep them around. Maybe upping the minimum posts to like 10 or 15 might help too, I dunno.
:agreepost:

That old ones drop off, it happens. On other forums it is not that different. Thing is that there are so many alternative places. YT, discord, Twitch, fb, twitter. Fans are more spread out.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

MonteCristo wrote: 5 months ago Maybe upping the minimum posts to like 10 or 15 might help too, I dunno.
That would be a very good thing.
When i look to the "new members", i deliberately put this between quotes, they try to get the minimum amount of posts as fast as possible, and after that you never see them back. Now, think about it. How is that possible? I am still convinced that most of them come here to rip the whole Fastlane collections and post them elsewhere. It saves them from doing research, like we did. And it makes our site less special.

I rather see people come here and be a good addition in our discussion topics. Star is one of them. Aty, the same thing.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Thanks for everything, PT! :thumbsup:

As far as suggestions, not much besides repairing the CPDB image uploader. Perhaps the perfect Christmas present for the forum?
(Sorry, I've got a ton of photos to upload that are just waiting be posted onto the database, and I feel more comfortable hosting it on our site than some fly-by-night image service).
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

20 years is an insane amount of time on the interwebs really. Glad to be here! Still remember the day I found the site, was a very happy 16 year old who hadn't even had the internet for a year, to finally have likeminded racefans to talk to.

Here's to 20 more!
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

erwin greven wrote: 5 months ago
MonteCristo wrote: 5 months ago Maybe upping the minimum posts to like 10 or 15 might help too, I dunno.
That would be a very good thing.
When i look to the "new members", i deliberately put this between quotes, they try to get the minimum amount of posts as fast as possible, and after that you never see them back. Now, think about it. How is that possible? I am still convinced that most of them come here to rip the whole Fastlane collections and post them elsewhere. It saves them from doing research, like we did. And it makes our site less special.

I rather see people come here and be a good addition in our discussion topics. Star is one of them. Aty, the same thing.
Aww, bless you for the mention, it's always nice to be appreciated :mates: :cool:

A big happy birthday to the forum in a few days. @PTRACER thank you for keeping this place going. :mates: :drunk: :oimate: :woo: :flag:

Back when I joined my first F1 forum, in November 2002, things were very different. If you wanted to discuss F1, forums were the only thing you had really in my experience. Social media has grown massively since then and you can interact with so many people and discuss F1 in so many ways now, you can ever interact with the drivers which is something that you could never do back in the day.

For me, what makes a forum is a sense of a shared interest and a group of people who are tolerant of one another and don't start getting personal if they disagree with a different viewpoint. This place has that community feel for me, that's why I've stayed and why I have made a bunch of friends. That is what I consider many of you to be now. I like to have a laugh and enjoy the company of you guys, as much as I enjoy discussing the racing with you.

The Guess The Pole game that @XcraigX runs is important to being here for me. I did almost suggest we had a league in the F1 Fantasy Game so that we could compete in that too. Maybe in 2024 I'll set that up if anyone is interested? https://fantasy.formula1.com/en/how-to-play
I played in one a few years ago and it was fun in my opinion. Let me know if you are up for it :cool:

At the moment I can't think of anything else we could do, but I am glad this place is still going for those of us who enjoy this kind of interaction, long may it continue to be the case as well :cool:

Of course, as my old mate used to say YMMV (your mileage may vary) :smiley:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Thanks all for the comments!! I have updated the min post count for accessing the Crash Photos section to 10. Moderators - please keep a close eye on spam.

And I'll look into fixing the CPdB photo uploaded this week.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Microsprinter18 »

Thank you for everything.
yes, I am the NASCAR flip list guy...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Happy Birthday Fastlane and many more to come.
Thanks @PTRACER for making it all possible. :bow:

Why do I like TFL and keep turning up for more? Well I guess I like the homely community feel and feel comfortable to be amongst those I classify as friends more than acquaintances even though we have never met. Makes it fun to discuss all things motorsport with fellow petrolheads (Am I even allowed to say petrolheads these days?)

Not the biggest forum in the world but out of the many I have been part of both large and small this is where I feel comfortable and find the collective knowledge we all have and pool a bonus.
Long may it continue. :thumbsup: :fingers:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Loving our Birthday countdown clock. What happens when it gets to zero? I hope the site doesn't explode or something :shocked: :whistling:

Do we get a party? ;) :cool:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

20 years! That's quite an anniversary! Hopefully there's 20 more around the corner! ;)
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Star wrote: 5 months ago Loving our Birthday countdown clock. What happens when it gets to zero? I hope the site doesn't explode or something :shocked: :whistling:

Do we get a party? ;) :cool:
Well now you've ruined the big birthday surprise :tongue:

Nothing special planned unfortunately, except to celebrate the fact we're still bloody here. Actually The Fastlane empire has been quietly expanding but not necessary with the benefit of this forum.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

It is just great to chat and banter about motorsport, without being toxic. And this for some 20 years.
ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

:agreepost:

I have been drifting in and out of the forum in the past year and a half, due to work commitments and a new house, but I keep coming back to the forum since this is a place with plenty of knowledgeable people and also interesting points of discussion. Long may it continue!