1969MOd part2 for GPL is out

Discussion and releases for the 1998 racing simulation by Sierra/Papyrus
flyinsii
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

1969MOd part2 for GPL is out

Post by flyinsii »

Now able to run with the low wing cars from 69 and they are the dog's bollocks. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Primal Scream Know What I Mean
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Part 3 is now out. It's good, but I'll still maintain the same sentiments that I had with Part 1 and 2 - the physics are not so good.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
StrtRacrZ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by StrtRacrZ »

Why...too hard? I've heard the 67's are too easy to make massive drifts...
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

The tyres are far too grippy and the cornering speeds seem far too quick. The front end of the car goes wherever you want it to go and unless you take a corner at a hugely unreasonable speed, the cars seem to give NO understeer at all.

I've just done a lap at Zandvoort and managed to take 50% of the lap almost flat out. I didn't have to brake for many of the corners, just lift off, through the car into the corner and the car would stick.

I'm almost certain the tyres are the cause. In GPL '67, if you put your foot on the throttle, the rear wheels instantly spin and you go all over the place. In the 1969 cars, despite having 415bhp in the Matra, I can hold it at full throttle on the clutch and lift it instantly with so little wheelspin, the car doesn't even go sideways. I should not be able to do that!!!
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

StrtRacrZ wrote:Why...too hard? I've heard the 67's are too easy to make massive drifts...
Can you give me any tips on drifting? :tongue:
I always end up spinning or going into the wall. :oops:
jimbohar
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jimbohar »

yeah i agree - 69's are too easy and have too much grip - feels unnatural as well. mind you the 67's seem to drift a little too much at times but seems entirely more reasonable than the 69's. perhaps a middle ground??
Dark

Post by Dark »

What laptimes were you getting at Zandy Paul?

I don't agree with the 69's being too easy, once you really start to push them things get tricky, depending on the way the car is setup it is still possible to experience loads of oversteer or/and understeer.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Dark wrote:What laptimes were you getting at Zandy Paul?
I threw together an incredibly untidy lap where I just decided to take most of the corners near flatout and ended up with a 1:20. I struggled with Zandvoort in the 1967 cars. The 1969 cars have a horribly unrealistic lack of understeer and the cars act as though they're turning at the centre of the car, instead of at the front wheels.

StrtRacrZ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by StrtRacrZ »

The last I heard, a 1968 mod is supposed to bring the driving aspect to a near-modern level. Mind you I've been out of the GPL community for a 1 year now, heck, no sim-racing games for 3+ months now... :oops: :wink:
Dark

Post by Dark »

Hmm the fast guys are getting into the 1:15's round Zandy :shock:

I've had a go round the ring and round Watkins Glen myself now and must agree that there doesn't seem to be much if any understeer, but it does feel to me that the car rotates around the front wheels, it may be the alien type setups i'm trying to tame now but it is possible to brake the rear end loose under power and the main problem i have is the rear end on braking and turn in