Post your computer's specs/overclocks

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Bottom post of the previous page:

can you get any more? :thumbsup:

I just priced the basics up on that system at Aria, bloody hell :shock:
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
ellis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ellis »

I meant to type *FROM* A mate :oops: He is quite loaded and was upgrading.
TheRacingLine.net
RacingLineDevelopments.com
Race2Play.com
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

:haha:

That's a good buy even so :)
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Ellis, it's a good spec machine, but why have you gone for such a low spec processor? :wow: £30 more and you could have gone for a 5200+ or something like that.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Da Sausage
Temporary Ban
Temporary Ban

Post by Da Sausage »

Da Sausage wrote:This is kind of basic gaming comp, can't afford better one now since I'm kinda short on money, looking for extra gb of RAM now though.

Graphics card: EVGA nVidia GeForce 8600GTS 256mb

Processor: Intel E6320 dual core 1.86ghz

Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 320gb SATA II

Motherboard: Asus P5B

Disc reader: Samsung DVD+RW Dual Layer

RAM: G.Skill 1GB DDR2-800

Power Supply: LC-Power 420W ATX

Case: CoolerMaster Elite 330 ATX

Looks like this, except that that is only the case so I have 2 usb-ports in front, a port for mic and headset, and IEEE 1394 - port, which is good because my vidcam is non-usb one.

I also fit it together myself, since I was in hurry when I made it, so I asked my friend for help and we fit it together, and as I told in other thread, we managed to fit the processor core wrong and burned the processor, motherboard and power supply. The computer cost me 750€ without screen and stuff, and the repairs cost 300€
:haha: :sorrow:

I have Medion 17" LCD-screen, a non-widescreen one (got it for free from my godfather) and absolutely awesome Logitech "Internet" keyboard, which is kinda oldschool, from around 2000-2002, but at least it's very durable and proven shock-proof by me after some gaming, and especially after I failed to qualify for the finals in the largest LANparty in Finland, Assembly, which has about 3000-5000 players every year, and since Trackmania Nations was a free tournament, almost everyone took part, and I was actually 4th in the times, I passed quarter-finals easily and some guys who sat next to me told me that I would make it easily to finals, but we ran the semis with 'race' system instead of time attack, and we had 3-wide finish for 2nd place (10 players, 2 packs, so 20 players in semis, top-3 from each heat goes to finals + the winner of the quarters so 7 players in finals) and I lost the final place by 0.02 seconds, it was so tight that I think the fact that I had to correct my car lost me the final spot. Well, I was very pissed and frustrated since I knew I would have stood good chances in the finals, and top-3 gets awesome prices, so I slammed my keyboard around 5 times to the desk, and it was still intact. I was like "... :wow: ..."

Anyway, any suggestions how could I overclock my computer, and suggestions what should I buy to my computer next? (I have around 70-100€ for it maeby)
Bumpity bumpa-bump. :tongue:
Invisible Talent.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Da Sausage, if you blew up your processor, motherboard and power supply while building the computer, I seriously would not recommend overclocking it. :roll:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Da Sausage
Temporary Ban
Temporary Ban

Post by Da Sausage »

PTRACER wrote:Da Sausage, if you blew up your processor, motherboard and power supply while building the computer, I seriously would not recommend overclocking it. :roll:
Nah, I'm actually quite handy with these things, it was actually quite common mistake, the pins of the core were somehow twisted, which led to a shortcut inside the power or something and burned the parts. There were no visible smoke or nasty smell, it was quite "tidy" but destructive.

Back to original question, what should I upgrade next?
Invisible Talent.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

What operating system do you have?

Da Sausage
Temporary Ban
Temporary Ban

Post by Da Sausage »

Windows XP SP2
Invisible Talent.
ellis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ellis »

PTRACER wrote:Ellis, it's a good spec machine, but why have you gone for such a low spec processor? :wow: £30 more and you could have gone for a 5200+ or something like that.
I needed to an upgrade this week because my previous motherboard has serious BIOS issues (won't flash because it's physically burnt now) and needed replaced. It was quite old and run it's time so i'm not bothered about that. Unfortunately I was on the old standards for RAM and CPU Sockets (DDR and 939). This meant I had to a large scale upgrade and get a motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU (for more power and SATA connectors) and a HDD (I have 4 IDE drives, and only 1 IDE slot on my new mobo, so needed a new SATA drive). Therefore I had to buy a cheaper CPU and RAM because i had a £250 budget for the whole thing. I certainly was not going to buy a cheaper PSU, as that is just asking for trouble!

But the plus side is that because I am now on DDR2 and AM2 sockets, I can upgrade to some better spec parts in a few months when I can afford it. But I had to get rid of the broken parts this week, so had to do the upgrade early. Either it is a step forward from my previous setup and leaves me in much better shape to upgrade massively in the future.

Next CPU upgrade will be up to something like a 6000, and RAM will be updated so a higher quality set (currently on the Geil Value RAM).

Da_Sausage, I am not going to tell you how to overclock for the simple fact that I do not want to feel responsible when things go wrong. If you have to ask on a forum how to overclock, after previously destroying a set of hardware, then I highly recommend NOT touching it and simply using one of the higher performance presets which should be available in your BIOS.
TheRacingLine.net
Race2Play.com
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Da Sausage wrote:Windows XP SP2
Might be worth taking up to 2GB of RAM then...

After that, I'd say upgrade your graphics card, but you will have to upgrade your power supply too, so I'd recommend waiting until the next series of nVidias are out (the 9xxx series).

Da Sausage
Temporary Ban
Temporary Ban

Post by Da Sausage »

PTRACER wrote:

After that, I'd say upgrade your graphics card, but you will have to upgrade your power supply too, so I'd recommend waiting until the next series of nVidias are out (the 9xxx series).
Sounds reasonable to me, I was thinking that myself also. It would be also perfect if the 9x series would come around May-June, since I propably have at least summer job by then, and I have also birthday in 4th of June, and anyway I'm planning some major upgrades in this summer.
Invisible Talent.
ellis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ellis »

Da Sausage wrote:
PTRACER wrote:

Sounds reasonable to me, I was thinking that myself also. It would be also perfect if the 9x series would come around May-June, since I propably have at least summer job by then, and I have also birthday in 4th of June, and anyway I'm planning some major upgrades in this summer.
The GeForce 9 Series is the ninth generation of NVIDIA's GeForce series of video cards anticipated to be released on February 21st 2008[6].
TheRacingLine.net
Race2Play.com
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

I've just had a look at overclockers about overclocking gfx cards, think I'll stick with what I've got for now :wink:
Barre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Barre »

I have a Medion pc :oops:
"We're here for a good time – not for a long time. So you better make the most of it." Colin McRae
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

I wasn't shure if i should open a new topic for this, but are there more on this forum who build their own pc's??

I have build two pc's in my "career". But i am busy to build a small one now.

Only i have a slight problem. Connecting those wires. I mean: Power Led, Speaker, Reset, etc.... I have found a manual on the internet from the mainboard but not a manual from the case. The wire names don't match with the names on the mainboard. Even the names in the mainboards manual don't match with the ones on the mainboard.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."